Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok nintendo has officially lost the plot..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Even the Ninetendo fan boys can't defend this one :D Ha Ha Ha, stupid stupid Nintendo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a bit of a chuckle at this. It's a bloody awful name.

Xbox sounds too macho
    Playstation is a bit risque
    Wii is just plain embarassing. I think I'll be wearing the trench coat and sunglasses when I order this and carry it of the shop in a brown paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Maybe it's just a publicity stunt, and they'll have picked a non-retarded name by E3? One can only hope...

I doubt it...it looks like they've already sunk a bit of money into the marketing for this...as flogen said, this was probably devised by a marketing team in Japan where the name 'wi' doesn't generate the hysteria it seems to have in the west...i say hysteria because that's what it is...the name isn't intended to mean 'piss' or anything else urine related it's only people here who can't seem to hack it, and as someone else said it's the games people should be concerned about, if you're buying a console on the strength of it's name alone then maybe you shouldn't bother at all...tbh i'm sick of all the 'street cultchah' style marketing and crap rapper based games that sony have embraced....bring it on nintendo...hopefully it really will be something different and new.
    Wii'll have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

cregser wrote:
    All your base are belong to wii
    rofl

its kinda growing on me, or should i say its kinda growing on wii.....no...wait...i shouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

hairball wrote:
    Ited it's only people here who can't seem to hack it, and as someone else said it's the games people should be concerned about, if you're buying a console on the strength of it's name alone then maybe you shouldn't bother at all...

Again, where do you people get this from? Just because we don't like the name doesn't mean we won't buy the console, and that we aren't interested in the games. You're just making things up now.
    It's still a stupid stupid name though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Nintendo Go Wii?

Animal Crossing Wii/Wee!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Shower of eejits.

It will be the first console I buy within the first year of launch.
    It will be the first console I pre-order.
    It will be the first console I buy for my mom.

Wii is the perfect name for it.

/me joins koneko in chorus

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Well, look at it this way: it's probably the fastest that a console name has spread from word-of-mouth. Great marketing.

damn those zombie pirate marketeers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Come on, does it really make a difference what its called?? Ill have no problems buying it anyway. Just say can i have the new Nintendo in game if your that bothered...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Yeah, hopefully it's not a big deal but you have to admit they've got balls to call their product excrement :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

koneko wrote:
    Again, where do you people get this from? Just because we don't like the name doesn't mean we won't buy the console, and that we aren't interested in the games. You're just making things up now.
    It's still a stupid stupid name though.

what other conclusions am i supposed to draw for some of the comments posted here, i also never said people weren't going to buy the console , my point was to lighten up about it...as i said earlier it's only a name ,and dumb as it, and the whole 'we are united' bull**** marketing campaign is, that's all it is....another marketing campaign

hairball wrote:
    what other conclusions am i supposed to draw for some of the comments posted here

You don't need to draw any extra conclusions. If someone says "I think the name is crap" you can accept the conclusion as being "they think the name is crap", no more, no less. Doesn't mean anything about not caring about the games, being any less of "a gamer", or that they buy the console on name only, it means nothing like that. It doesn't even mean it's a big deal. It just means "they think the name is crap".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Actually.. it's been a day.. I've thought about it, rolled it around in my head... it's not really that bad :)

Wii.

Say it with me.

Wii.

It's silly - but silly isn't necessarally all that bad. It's short, simple, memorable, fun (Weeeee!)... and it might be good enough craic, for a while, telling your mates your heading for a Wii. It'll be alike a little (or a 'wee') in-joke. Oh the hilarity.

And it has gotten people talking... haven't seen this much buzz over Nintendo in a long time (not just because of the name obviously, although that seems to have boosted it ten fold in the last 24 hours). Rumours going around now that they might be launching in July for $199 or maybe they'll even be ready to launch at E3, although I'll believe that when I see it.

Silly name or not, I can't bloody wait.

Were all going to heaven lads, wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

And it has gotten people talking...

That is true, plenty of discussions/publicity.

I suspect it'll launch at a low enough price point, it's the sort of market Nintendo aim for, get the casuals in aswell as the hardcore fans. The Xbox360 and the PS3 (in particular) are or will be expensive, so if the "Wii"/Rev is cheaper that'll definitely help.

Weeeee. I still don't like it (the name) :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sometimes (just sometimes) I think Nintendo top brass (that's the guys in Japan) don't seek input on big decisions from their American and European counterparts. And this is what happens.

Until they start seeing themselves as a global company Nintendo will remain firmly in third/second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Silly name.

But what do Americans think of it? Does "Wee" have the same sort of meaning there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NOA VP of corporate affairs defends Wii name
    And it's pronounced "We", not "Wee"; it's slightly unfortunate that it has turned into such a childish internet meme...

In other news, I like the cheesyness! LOVE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I keep picturing a news anchor doing one of those rare "videogame" reports about either the technology industry or "new studies showing the true effects of video games on our children." I keep hearing the anchor say, "Xbox 360," then, "Playstation 3," and then, "Nintendo Wii." I never sounds right.

I do believe the name will grow on me but for now it doesn't make me smile.

Whatever happens, this is going to be the most expensive Wii I'll ever have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

madrab wrote:
    Were all going to heaven lads, wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I keep imagining Gir from Invader Zim as he runs about the place, giggling insanely

WIIIIIHEHEHEEHE! WIIIIIIIIIIHEHEHEHE!

those who havn't seen invader zim, for shame, for shame

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

oK I've nothing further to add to this discussion that has not already been mentioned Except. that to those folks who reckon that the new name was made by the Japanese shower of nintendo execs alone. one must consider; in the Japanese language there is no "wee" sound. This move will probably just confuse (and frustrate) folks in japan... I remain baffled about all this.

still, once the games are cool I'm in but I reckon nintendo are still shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

They're certainly going against the norm. Game consoles are generally called something literal. This is definetly something more akin to iPod or those devices. Marketing themselves away from Sony and Microsoft, it seems.

Companies make the name. In a year the lavatorial connotations will be forgotten about... if Nintendo markets it correctly.

Either way, I think at the start I was a little surprised because the name just wasn't typical. I disliked "Revolution" because it was too literal, and boring. I'm starting to get used to Wii though, I'm just interested in seeing how Nintendo will handle this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Brerrabbit wrote:
    oK I've nothing further to add to this discussion that has not already been mentioned Except. that to those folks who reckon that the new name was made by the Japanese shower of nintendo execs alone. one must consider; in the Japanese language there is no "wee" sound. This move will probably just confuse (and frustrate) folks in japan... I remain baffled about all this.

Um, there is a "Wi" sound(There *was* a katakana character for it(ヰ), but they eliminated it years ago), they use "Ui" (ウィ) when they want that effect. Plus, in japanese, "ii" means "good".

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

er... I stand corrected :(

that sounds about right; I often hear Japanese people say OK "ii desu ka" (It is good?) which before now I used to think was "iie desu ka" (It is no?) makes a pile more sense that way.
    In my defence though I'm in a part of Japan that is nefarious for it's thick accent (to me this "accent" is really just a mumble).

Back to the linguistic humble pie for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmmm

i can picture the french advertising campaign already.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    You don't need to draw any extra conclusions. If someone says "I think the name is crap" you can accept the conclusion as being "they think the name is crap", no more, no less. Doesn't mean anything about not caring about the games, being any less of "a gamer", or that they buy the console on name only, it means nothing like that. It doesn't even mean it's a big deal. It just means "they think the name is crap".

ok...once again, my point was that some people were placing an awful lot on just the name of a console...i didn't say they were less of a gamer, i didn't say they didn't care about games, and yeh you're right it's not a big deal

Advertisement