Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok nintendo has officially lost the plot..

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

CiaranC wrote:
    wii.com is registered
    It was registered by Williamette Industries Inc., which is a timber company, and not by Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah...those bastards decided that Europe wouldn't like Final Fantasy which of course left many of us puzzled when Final Fantasy VII was first released. "Where are the other six?"

Yeah man, Square-Enix are a bunch of morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Hakumei Naru

^ They were just Squaresoft back then...but same general guys. I guess it was too much trouble for them to release the game in multiple languages...that could be why Europe gets "forgotten about".

Maybe "Wii" was supposed to sound like "wheeeeeeee!" like when you go down a slide or something.....*cough* hehe.....yeah....

Thinking about it now, it could just be the name for Asia seeing as it was called "Revolution" up until recently. Nintendo have been dealing with english speaking customers for a long time. I doubt the meaning of a word sounding like "Wii" could get over-looked so easily.

And if it was over-looked then by god they deserve all the bad jokes that are being thrown at them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

flogen wrote:
    There's a difference between being seen as a child-orientated company and a soft one;

Right, well, their image is softer then Sony and Microsoft.

flogen wrote:
    It's not unusual for Nintendo to change a machines name, but they usually do it through codenames IMO; I don't think it's a very good idea or joke to launch a name completely straight faced, and then say it's not real... I wouldn't be pissed off about it, but I'm sure you'd get plenty who are.

There’s plenty who are pissed off at the current wee name, and who want it changed.
    flogen wrote:
    Either way, if it was a joke Nintendo will have to play it carefully so Sony and MS don't use it as a stick to beat them with (although they always will).

I’m sure their rivals are finding it hard to keep the toilet jokes out of speeches.

It’s going to be talked/joked about at every dinner, party, piss up, and maybe even some meetings at E3. Maybe an exaggeration, but every time a few journalists, developers, publishers, PRs etc get to gather in any kind of relaxed form for more then a few minutes there’s a good chance the stupid name will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

LadyLotts wrote:
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet."

Not if you called them Stench Blossoms.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

flogen wrote:
    Not if you called them Stench Blossoms.. :D
    Or Crapweeds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

To be honest, I thought "play station" was a silly, childish name when I first heard it (especially when compared to "Nintendo Entertainment System"), but that brand hasn't done particularly badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Balfa wrote:
    To be honest, I thought "play station" was a silly, childish name when I first heard it (especially when compared to "Nintendo Entertainment System"), but that brand hasn't done particularly badly.

playstation, dreamcast, megadrive, gameboy etc. all sound fairly good IMO. "wii" sounds like the noise someone made in the board room when spinning around in their chair after exhausting all other possible idea's.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

are wii still talking about this, surely at this stage wii've all agreed to accept the inevitable, that wii'll have to ask for a wii in the game stores and everytime wii're asked what consoles wii own ,wii'll have to say wii again..and again...and again...how will wii manage??

wii is doomed!

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Don't be wiidiculous! As the wiiks roll by wii'll likely learn more. WiiFi compatability, wiilease schedule etc. wiill all need to be confirmed.

The wiikipedia entry wiill be wiily interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

trés droll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Maybe "Wii" was supposed to sound like "wheeeeeeee!" like when you go down a slide or something.....*cough* hehe.....yeah....
    Now that wouldve been a MUCH better name! The nintendo WHEEEEEEEE!!!!!!, i mean come on its fun just saying it, the console would have to be good.

This is a direct quote from Wikipedia:
    "Wii sounds like 'we,' which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

Nintendo spells "Wii" with two "i"s to create an image of players gathering together. The spelling also is intended to invoke the controllers the Wii uses.

After announcing the name, some criticism was received from English speaking countries because Wii sounds like the English word "wee," an euphemism for "urine." However, "wee" can also denote a meaning of "small", and Wii is the smallest console of the seventh generation. It can also be considered a homonym of a word suggesting a noise made when having fun (whee!). Additionally, Wii sounds similar to "yes" in French (oui), "good" in Japanese (いい, ii?) and "top" in Korean. In German-speaking countries the console's name will be pronounced /ˈviː/, similar to the German word for "how" (wie).

That explains a few things...still doesn't change the fact that it sounds like a slang word for urination though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But does anyone other than England/Ireland use it as slang for urination?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wee&r=f

LEST WE FU*KING FORGET
    nintendoids7co.jpg
    Never underestimate how stupid nintendo can be

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LEST WE FU*KING FORGET
    nintendoids7co.jpg
    Never underestimate how stupid nintendo can be
    You know, I'm pretty sure some 80's kids thought it was cool to have... erm... "Nintendo Power Patches"...

Anyways, it's not like Sega were above that, is it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is a direct quote from Wikipedia:

That explains a few things...still doesn't change the fact that it sounds like a slang word for urination though...

I posted that several pages ago, and the source was a Nintendo press release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

Jebus man! WEeeeeeee. Soiunds like...erm...yeah.

One legged blind dog tbh

Oh my God....Nintendoids....that has to be a joke....right?

• Advertisement

sadly..its not :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[STA-7]SSgt.Ste

Seriously WTF is the idea. "Well the gamecube had kinda good graphics..." says nintendo. Yes that is why you make them better nintendo up yours on this nex-gen.:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Seriously WTF is the idea. "Well the gamecube had kinda good graphics..." says nintendo. Yes that is why you make them better nintendo up yours on this nex-gen.:mad: :mad:
    Where did they say that? :confused:

The Wii graphics will be better but why is that reall important? Are you going to dismiss a console purely based on its power?

Advertisement