Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool overtake Man Utd??

• 27-04-2006 5:43pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can Liverpool overtake Utd and clinch the 2nd spot? I know chances are slim but, and it's a big but,

Chelsea have Utd on sat they could loose there.

Middlesborough seem to always beat Utd, it's nearly traditional for some reason - this would bring us to level pegging (thier goal difference being better though)

Could it come down to Charlton's ability to take a point at Old Trafford?

All this would of course rest on us (Liverpool) beating Villa and Portsmouth

Could it happen? Am I delusional?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Clutching on straws IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

no not delusional, it's possible.

but the form united have been in can't be discounted. I see them getting at least a point on saturday (think mouriniho will play a defensive lineup) and middlesborough have 4 games in 10 days, the 3rd of which is United so can't see them dropping points there.

Charlton have been too inconsistent to back, but they might nick a draw. So I don't think it'll happen but it is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Well possible (im a man u fan), Dont think itll happen obviously :). I hope we beat chelsea, and if we do our form should stay on till end of season... Always a chance, United can still win the league, they wont but they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It would be cool, but what im predicting is; Chelsea beat Utd, Utd and Boro draw and Utd beat Charlton so in that case i think they'd finish 1 point ahead.

In my opinion id be delighted with that as a pool fan. All i wanted was a comfortable 4th and to have closed the gap to the top. This year is just a building block and has been more of an overachievement then i expected. Delighted with the season really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think it's possible but not very likely. Anyway, if Arsenal beat Barcelona in the Champions League, second place become redundent. Arsenal and the Champions will both enter the competition at the group stage, with the second and third place team having to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sparks400 wrote:

Could it happen? Am I delusional?

Of course it could happen but I don't think it will. Just like United could still win the league but won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

your assuming liverpool will beat villa and portsmouth :) Utd need 3 points from 9, assuming liverpool get 6 from 6.

very unlikely utd will get 2points or less with liverpool getting full points.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

with the second and third place team having to qualify.

Possibly, but I'd rather finish above Utd than below them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

if chelsea get the point they need to win the premiership this weekend then i can see ferguson using the last two games to blood new players. This gives liverpool a chance i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If Liverpool had better goal difference there would be a slim hope, but United will definitely win at least one of their remaining games.

Game over.

Still a great season for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Whats this about if arsenal beat barcelona then 2nd place has to qualify?
    liverpool had to qualify last year when they won it so i think your wrong. It would be a big issue at moment if that was case.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Anyway, if Arsenal beat Barcelona in the Champions League, second place become redundent. Arsenal and the Champions will both enter the competition at the group stage, with the second and third place team having to qualify.

Is this fact? I dont recall hearing or seeing anything about that. I do remember something about Celtic having to qualify if certain teams won the CL. So maybe thats what you are thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hes right. Ignore liverpools case last year, the rules have been changed this year.

The winner of the champions league gets automatic entery. So united and liverpool would have to qualify and spurs go into the Uefa cup.

I dont think we will get second. IF we win are last 3 games we will finish with our highest points total ever in the season, either way its been a great season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

The difference between second and third is pittance anyway, personally id rather United beat Chelsea reducing the difference between first place and Liverpool, making the final table closer than Liverpool gettig second still 10 or so points behind Chelsea. They're the team to beat and if United beat them at their ground it may hurt them a bit. Then again i still wouldnt say no to second...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Can't see Man Yoo dropping 7 out of 9 points, i think the Chelski game has draw written all over it and Man Yoo should beat Charlton and maybe at the least draw with Middlesborough. Even at that i can see Liverpool resting players (for the final) and having a draw in one of their last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Hes right. Ignore liverpools case last year, the rules have been changed this year.

The winner of the champions league gets automatic entery. So united and liverpool would have to qualify and spurs go into the Uefa cup.

I dont think we will get second. IF we win are last 3 games we will finish with our highest points total ever in the season, either way its been a great season.
    I don't think this is right. As far as I'm aware 1st, 2nd and the champions will go straight in, with a side from a lower ranking league dropping down into the qualifiers.

I'm open to correction if someone can link me to where it states this - I can't find it after a quick search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United have gained 28 points from 30 games.
    It's highly unlikely they will gain only 2 points from 9 games.

The title is over as United would have to score an incredible amount of goals to even have a chance, assuming Chelsea lose all their matches.
    The same can be said about Liverpool, it's just not gona happen.

I said at the start of the season that Liverpool's season can be considered a success if they make the top 3 a top 4, and they have done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

United would need to drop 7 points from 9, very very slim chance of that happening.

At the same time we would need to get 6 from Villa and Portsmouth. Again slimer chances all the time.

With Boro in the Uefa Cup final they will have one eye on that prize.

I think it will go down like this

Chelsea not wanting to lose to weeks in a row beat United
    Liverpool beat Villa, both teams level and United have a game in hand.
    United play Boro who have one eye on the cup and United just do enough for a draw.
    Then it depends on Birmingham and if they are relegated. If so then our game against Pompey becomes a little easier.

Liverpool play Portsmouth and win, United hammer Charlton.

United 2nd Liverpool 3rd.

Which is an awful shame as I have Liverpool €50 e/w at 16-1

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Id say united will beat boro comfortably too, boro will be resting players all of the place these next 3 games..... Celtic qualify automatically if Barce beat Arsenal too i think, yet another reason to be up for Barce :)

United have gained 28 points from 30 games.
    It's highly unlikely they will gain only 2 points from 9 games.
    heh, didnt know united had such an awful record, thought they had gotten more points than that :p

2nd is indeed very unlikely for liverpool but its still a good season, 2nd meant very little except one qualifying round which are generally nice to the bigger teams anyway (may have to play TNS again :p)

Good season for United and liverpool i think, closing the gap on chelsea in the league as well that they'll only have won one competition this year (well its still good for them that they have the league, but last year they had the league cup too, ooooh!) Next year should be more interesting.

Id say both teams will win all their games except united's trip to London where i predict a Chelsea win. Portsmouth, being on form, surviving and all, may get a draw from us too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Don't fancy boro to beat United - they're going to rest half the team and they've 3 or 4 games in the next week or so, they'll be whipping boys for most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

someone texted in a radio station last nite, newstalk106, and asked did they think liverpool could even catch chelsea!!!

some people aye :confused:

It would be a great run in for the end of the season and a sweat for Utd if Chelsea did beat them. Middlesborough always put it up to them, it's psychological I reckon, can't rule them out of the game, resting players or not.

Time will tell
    Good season for United and liverpool i think, closing the gap on chelsea in the league as well that they'll only have won one competition this year
    Next year should be more interesting.

Yea, it's great to see the gap closing. Hopefully Benitez will get a good budget over the break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

1st and 2nd qualify automatically, regardless of Arsenal, it would just mean Celtic being bumped to qualify, Tottenham going to the Uefa, and Arsenal getting an automatic place, leaving 3rd to still qualify if Arsenal win.

It's down to the wire now. Can Charlton take a point at Old Trafford?Can Liverpool beat Portsmouth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

I really hope Man U through it away but unfortunately I can't see them losing to a weak Charlton side.

A draw would do it, if Liverpool win. They wouldn't have to lose to be overtaken by Liverpool

liverpool can beat pompey. pompey are safe, they will be too hung over!

only time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Have to admit, after last nights result im a tad worried.

We should be able to beat Charlton though allthough i'll never live it down if we didnt.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is that Pool/Pompey game at Anfield or Fratton?

Liverpool are AWAY to Portsmouth and Man Utd are HOME to Charlton.

Emmo wrote:

I think it will go down like this

Chelsea not wanting to lose to weeks in a row beat United

Liverpool beat Villa, both teams level and United have a game in hand.

United play Boro who have one eye on the cup and United just do enough for a draw.

Then it depends on Birmingham and if they are relegated. If so then our game against Pompey becomes a little easier.

Liverpool play Portsmouth and win, United hammer Charlton.

United 2nd Liverpool 3rd.

Which is an awful shame as I have Liverpool €50 e/w at 16-1

Emmo

Ohhh Im good.

Lets home that im not too good.

Pompey with nothing to play for, Charton with nothing to play for.

I hope that Bent plays a stormer and is looking for a move to somewhere or trying to get into the England squad against United.

As for Liverpool, they need to win, end of story. Its going to be close.

Emmo

Fratton Park.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Pool have an FA cup final the following week and Portsomouth are on a crest of a wave. Saying that United won't slip up at home to Charlton.

Be that as it may, Man Utd are not playing well since the Sunderland game. We were lucky to beat Spurs, hammered by Chelsea and could only manage a HOME draw against a weakened 'Boro team. Last nights game was really a must win game and we failed. So assuming Man Utd will beat Charlton at home on Sunday is by no way a certainty.

Did anyone else see Gary Neville frustrations boil over with one of his own fans after the game last night. The two of them had a right shouting match at each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

TheMonster wrote:
    Pool have an FA cup final the following week and Portsomouth are on a crest of a wave. Saying that United won't slip up at home to Charlton.

just like they wouldnt slip up against boro. that said i do see united winning comfortably but football's a funny old game.

i hope sven is in old trafford

with the absence of a mr.rooney, a mr.bent will be out to impress. hopefully at the expense of a dodgy rio and vidic.

liverpool 2nd!!!

I think what all the Liverpool fans are trying to say is that its still game on.

Emmo

Aquos76 wrote:
    Be that as it may, Man Utd are not playing well since the Sunderland game. We were lucky to beat Spurs
    While I agree we haven't been playing well, I think that's a bit unfair. Besides a bit of a gift of a goal, I thought United were simply the better team against Spurs.
    Our record against Charlton is brilliant, I don't think Fergie will allow any slip-ups against Charlton.

Naturally one has to say that United are firm favourites to get second but as said previous football can be a funny old game, Boro deserved the draw last night and United were pretty woeful, without Rooney they lack that edge in attack and might just fluff it against Charlton.
    i still expect them to win though, considering how awful Charlton have been recently though they do have a bit of a habit of turning it on in unlikely/difficult circumstances so its certainly not impossible.
    Itd be a damn sweet season if United do slip up and Liverpool win their last two games though, mmmmm :D
    Still all credit to em both no matter what happens, roll on next year!

• Advertisement

Itd be a damn sweet season if United do slip up and Liverpool win their last two games, mmmmm :D
    Liverpool have only 1 league game left (Portsmouth), same as Utd (Charlton).

.Still all credit to em both no matter what happens, roll on next year!
    Very true, the gap's closing...

I meant the FA cup final :D

I meant the FA cup final :D

Sorry, I hope they win that too.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Charlton will be up for it, Last game for Curbs, who'll want to go out on a high and no better place than OT. Darren Bent will also be looking to show his quality against World Cup standard defenders.

Charlton for a 2-1 win or a score draw.

zabbo wrote:
    Charlton will be up for it, Last game for Curbs, who'll want to go out on a high and no better place than OT. Darren Bent will also be looking to show his quality against World Cup standard defenders.

Charlton for a 2-1 win or a score draw.

Love it.

While I agree we haven't been playing well, I think that's a bit unfair. Besides a bit of a gift of a goal, I thought United were simply the better team against Spurs.
    Our record against Charlton is brilliant, I don't think Fergie will allow any slip-ups against Charlton.

Yes and without that gift of a goal it would have ended in a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Aquos76 wrote:
    so there was only the tip-off and after that the ref blew for full time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Premiership 2005/2006 07 May 15:00 - Premiership W/O Chelsea
    Selection Price
    Man United 1/8
    Liverpool 9/2

Pool fans last chance to win some decent cash on them, decent odds for whats technically one game.

kdjac

Aquos76 wrote:
    You really think it's as clear-cut as that? Goals change games, you can't know what would have happened without the goal.

KdjaC wrote:
    Liverpool 9/2
    kdjac

Thanks kdjac,

Paddy Power's giving 5-1.

C'mon the Pool, hopefully Charlton are out to prove a point, they've scored against Utd this season already (even though they were beaten 3-1)

• Advertisement
Advertisement