Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool overtake Man Utd??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Sounds like great odds to be honest.

Is there anyway you could be double up with a Liverpool win against Pompey?

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well,

the United players will be getting two weeks cut off their summer holidays if they don't win. Something I'm sure should make them get their arses into gear.

It's absolutely diabolical that we have let ourselves get into this position. For the last two seasons we have gone out with a whimper at the death. This kind of crap has been going on ever since Ferguson started handing over to that bloody cretin Querioz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Emmo wrote:
    Sounds like great odds to be honest.

Is there anyway you could be double up with a Liverpool win against Pompey?

Emmo
    no - you can't get a double on related events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Its all to play for....I don't really want to speculate on any results because it can go anywhere.

With relegation sorted out, at least there is something to watch on the last day...hopefully Arsenal can win their next game and there is a race for 4th also.

With the wife & kids out all day next Sat I can sit back & relax and flick between all the channels but no doubt Sky will have an interactive service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Lex Luthor wrote:
    With the wife & kids out all day next Sat I can sit back & relax and flick between all the channels but no doubt Sky will have an interactive service.

and for those of us, peasants some might say, on ntl basic :(
    i hope BBC have regular ceefax updates.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Its all to play for....I don't really want to speculate on any results because it can go anywhere.

With relegation sorted out, at least there is something to watch on the last day...hopefully Arsenal can win their next game and there is a race for 4th also.

sorry to burst your bubble but its n Sunday

Feck thought it might be much to get it doubled.

Might just try to seperate bets.

Liverpool to beat Pompey and then a 2nd bet on Liverpool to finish 2nd.

Already got some cash on 2nd so a little more wont hurt.

PS lads, games are on Sunday. RTE have not said who they are showing yet. Im guessing it will either be Liverpool , United , Arse or Spurs.

Maybe Spurs.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i reckon it will either be spurs or united as all they have to do is win to keep their places, whereas Liverpool and arsenal have to win and their respetive team lose.

then again united havent been playing good football, while spurs, arsenal and the pool have been playing decent stuff.

Biggest TV audiance would most likely be United or Liverpool.

Best games to watch would be Liverpool or Spurs (in my opinion)

Games which would have the most appeal for the neutral, United, Spurs.

Its prety much a tie.

Might be United / Liverpool but I think it should be Spurs.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It will all depend on who sky are showing aswell.

God knows what way it's going to end up, but it's going to be damn close. Hopefully we'll actually get a midfield for next season!

On a slightly different note I was sent this link to one of the best selling items in Liverpool.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7360536833959579879&q=liverpool&pl=true

Probably not true but I thought it was funny. Hope no offence caused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You can't double on the same bet, ie for liverpool to come second at 5-1, means they have to beat portsmout and manu need to draw or lose. What you are saying is you want that bet AND liverpool to beat portsmout(its the same bet)

Betting on the last day is always hairy. Lets hope for a repeat of Manu's final game of the season in 1995 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's absolutely diabolical that we have let ourselves get into this position. For the last two seasons we have gone out with a whimper at the death. This kind of crap has been going on ever since Ferguson started handing over to that bloody cretin Querioz!

No, it's been happening since Fergie has been at United, stop being silly.

When United know they can't win the premiership, their preformances always drop. Since that is always their goal, this is not suprising.
    Nobody at United hugely cares about where they come after 1st, since they are losers, once you are in the top 4, it's fine, since our coefficient is good.

A lot of fans care though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

zabbo wrote:
    You can't double on the same bet, ie for liverpool to come second at 5-1, means they have to beat portsmout and manu need to draw or lose. What you are saying is you want that bet AND liverpool to beat portsmout(its the same bet)

no, if liverpool win (win 1 bet) and united win, liverpool finish third (lose 2nd bet)

eyerer wrote:
    no, if liverpool win (win 1 bet) and united win, liverpool finish third (lose 2nd bet)
    but if Utd lose then that 1 match becomes 2 bets - for that double you would have to do Utd to lose/draw and Liverpool to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

KdjaC wrote:
    Premiership 2005/2006 07 May 15:00 - Premiership W/O Chelsea
    Selection Price
    Man United 1/8
    Liverpool 9/2

Pool fans last chance to win some decent cash on them, decent odds for whats technically one game.

kdjac
    Cheers dude! I put a bet on - I'm a Utd fan, and have two bets on now. 12s on Betfair of Utd-Charlton finishing 0-0, and 5.5 on Liverpool being champions w/o Chelsea. As my mate in work here calls it, emotional insurance! That way, if we don't finish 2nd, at least i'll make some money! It's a good term I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

PHB wrote:
    When United know they can't win the premiership, their preformances always drop. Since that is always their goal, this is not suprising.
    Nobody at United hugely cares about where they come after 1st, since they are losers, once you are in the top 4, it's fine, since our coefficient is good.

So I guess that's why they drew with Sunderland and got hammered by Chelsea but wait were they not able to still come 1st then?

IMO Utd have not being playing well in the last 5/6 games, they were lucky to beat Spurs. Rooney has been carrying the team and with him out they were unable to beat a Middlesborough side full of kids at home, nothing to do with coming first or not. Ask Gary Neville if he wants to come ahead of Liverpool or not.

I think that this Utd team is the worst team they have had in the last 15 years. Rooney been the player he his has kept Utd going without him they would be in dire trouble even considering Rooney being fully fit all next year I think they will struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

If you judge them on their past few performances then yes they probably are but in the grand scheme of things United have had a pretty good season if you consider the circumstances. They've done better this year than last year in my opinion in terms of points and have suffered some pretty bad injury blows, their points tally is a big improvement on last year.

However this being said its true that Rooney has very much been carrying the team this season without him i couldn't see Utd in this position at all and would be engaging in the 'decline' so often mentioned. Ferguson's man management is fantastic but he really should have provided better cover in the midfield to replace Keane, Rooney cant do it all (though you cant fail him for trying!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

van der sar

neville ferdinand brown heinze

ronaldo scholes riquelme giggs

rooney van nistlerooy/saha

On their day that 11 would compete with any 11 in England or Europe next season, the problem is a severe lack of strength in depth (and the fact that united haven't signed riquleme yet!). If players get injured there is no quality to replace them, for next season I'd like to see 3 midfielders brought in (inc riquleme, referenced above) and another good centre half and goalkeeper.

There is a lot of dead weight that could be sold on O'shea, Silvestre, Howard & richardson to name just 4. I think van nistlerooy might go this summer as well, I'd prefer he didn't but there seems to be a lack of motivation on his part and a lack of faith from ferguson in him. Ronaldo needs to start playing as part of a team, he has the ability to be one of the worlds great players, but not until he stops showboating at every opportunity and starts delivering a final ball.

IF Ferguson buys 2 quality midfielders, a centre half and a young promising keeper, I think United could have a better season again next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Iago wrote:
    van der sar

neville ferdinand brown heinze

ronaldo scholes riquelme giggs

rooney van nistlerooy/saha

On their day that 11 would compete with any 11 in England or Europe next season, the problem is a severe lack of strength in depth (and the fact that united haven't signed riquleme yet!). If players get injured there is no quality to replace them, for next season I'd like to see 3 midfielders brought in (inc riquleme, referenced above) and another good centre half and goalkeeper.

There is a lot of dead weight that could be sold on O'shea, Silvestre, Howard & richardson to name just 4. I think van nistlerooy might go this summer as well, I'd prefer he didn't but there seems to be a lack of motivation on his part and a lack of faith from ferguson in him. Ronaldo needs to start playing as part of a team, he has the ability to be one of the worlds great players, but not until he stops showboating at every opportunity and starts delivering a final ball.

IF Ferguson buys 2 quality midfielders, a centre half and a young promising keeper, I think United could have a better season again next year.

I have to say that that is a terrible midfield and would be walked all over by nearly any top european team..
    probably score a good few goals but always let in more than they score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

daveym wrote:
    I have to say that that is a terrible midfield and would be walked all over by nearly any top european team..
    probably score a good few goals but always let in more than they score.
    I'd have to agree. For one thing both Scholes and Giggs are past any form of consistency - they can both have the odd good day, but that's about it. Riquelme needs to have a team built around him, and wouldnt' function in that midfield set up. Ronaldo is fine but he needs to learn, as stated, to play as a team member.

I hope Scholes can make a come back from the blurred vision.

Would be an aweful pity for someone to finish their career like that, even though he has been very successful Im sure he would want to play on.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

get riquelme out of there he would be another veron. we need dmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

You really think it's as clear-cut as that? Goals change games, you can't know what would have happened without the goal.

and by that logic, spurs could have won, which doesnt really add to your arguement much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

BFassassin wrote:
    get riquelme out of there he would be another veron. we need dmc
    Ramon has twice the workrate of Veron, anyway this isn't Football Manager. Pointless playing him alongside Scholes (who's career is more or less over)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

and by that logic, spurs could have won, which doesnt really add to your arguement much...
    Oh I know they could've. And no doubting there was luck involved, with the Lee goal, but I was just saying you can't put the win down to just that. My 2 cents, for what it's worth, is that United were playing better anyway, after they weathered the early storm from Spurs.

PHB wrote:
    No, it's been happening since Fergie has been at United, stop being silly.

A lot of fans care though

Well PHB this is where we disagree. I have watched United keep on challenging until the end but the last couple of seasons this has gone by the wayside. You say it is because they knew they couldn't win. I say this is because the players morale has suffered due to having people like Querioz around the club. Don't you remember the players twice asking Ferguson to get rid of Querioz? Do you think that the way the club has finished the last two seasons has been acceptable? Players not arsed trying, playing for a draw when were already a goal down to Milan in the CL last year. To take your reasoning to it's logical extreme, it must have been because the players knew that they couldn't win the CL.

I have no beef with you, but I do have a major beef with pricks like Querioz being around the club, with all his negative football. It's not the United way. I care more about us playing good football and playing like we mean it than finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th. In purely monetary terms finishing 2nd means a larger slice of the pie from CL revenue. So I'm sure the Glazers won't be worried if we finish 3rd. :rolleyes: Not to mind finishing behind that other shower from the wrong end of the East Lancs Rd.

TBH we have flattered to decieve especially in the latter half of the season and are lucky to be where we are.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

TBH we have flattered to decieve especially in the latter half of the season and are lucky to be where we are.

i said that in the arsenal/man u thread a while back and boards and its brother went nuts over it. prepare to be flamed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Ah but you said that when they were winning matches, now that they've underperformed criticism is allowed dont you see?
    Its a well known fact that noone likes outsiders (as in supporters of other clubs) strongly criticising their team no matter if its true or they feel the same way themselves, such is the law of the soccer forum :p

Liverpool probably deserve to get 2nd but due to lack of fire power and being unable to finish off teams and get the results from the big boys has cost them it.

The United victory in Old Trafford effectively decided 2nd place (unless all goes to plan on Sunday), Rafa himself envisaged it. Unlucky perhaps but you gotta take it with a pinch of salt.

Ah but you said that when they were winning matches, now that they've underperformed criticism is allowed dont you see?
    Its a well known fact that noone likes outsiders (as in supporters of other clubs) strongly criticising their team no matter if its true or they feel the same way themselves, such is the law of the soccer forum

Liverpool probably deserve to get 2nd but due to lack of fire power and being unable to finish off teams and get the results from the big boys has cost them it.

The United victory in Old Trafford effectively decided 2nd place (unless all goes to plan on Sunday), Rafa himself envisaged it. Unlucky perhaps but you gotta take it with a pinch of salt.

holy crap, u decoded the structure of the soccer forum and you've only been here a few weeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Scholes and Giggs are both too old to perform consistantly now and need to be replaced. However, I hope they aren't ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

TheMonster wrote:
    Pool have an FA cup final the following week and Portsomouth are on a crest of a wave. Saying that United won't slip up at home to Charlton.

I assumned the same when United played Sunderland a few weeks.. Would have won €640 on that...

Is it not Curbishleys final game in charge of Charlton also? After so many years service I cannot see the team just lying down from United to walk all over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I assumned the same when United played Sunderland a few weeks.. Would have won €640 on that...

Is it not Curbishleys final game in charge of Charlton also? After so many years service I cannot see the team just lying down from United to walk all over them.

It was his last game at The Valley last Saturday and that didn't stop them lying down for Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah sure who cares? Its not like Liverpool are going to fall at the first hurdle in August. Finishing second would be just a little something extra, but very little really. Rafa will almost certainly be resting Gerrard for example.

Mike.

You would have been saying that to gloat.

What I am saying is more to do with the fact that we have no midfield and have still managed to get where we were, even with our (mis)management.

Fair play to Fergie for everything he's done with the club, but appointing Querioz as his no 2 and de facto manager of the club (as far as team matters is concerned) has been a retrograde step. The sooner that ****er goes the better. We have a perfectly good reserve team coach in Rene Meulensteen (ex Ajax) who can have our team playing proper football again. I mean we took the reserves title this year playing great football. All we need is a midfield and some tweaking in the coaching dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

If arsenal win the cl, do they automatically qualify and hence 2nd and third go into the qualifying stages? or do arsenal go into the qualifying stages ?

go read the thread if u need to. i said i thought second place flattered uniteds performances at times during the season.

if u can tell me how thats gloating i'll hold my hands up and agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

hey guys i know this is off topic but i was in paris at the weekend any chance of a link to the liverpool highlights?

Ah hey,

after you praised Shatners for knowing how the football forum works and all. It's like family, members have the right to say anything they want, but if an outsider says it . . . . . .

We all gang up on them :eek:

Anyway my criticism is constructive, yours by definition wouldn't be (unless you wanted to see United back on top where they belong :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Lemlin wrote:
    It was his last game at The Valley last Saturday and that didn't stop them lying down for Blackburn.

well aparently they were all quite shocked after being told the situation in the dressing room, so it is understandable them not playing their best. if they had been told the day before, maybe they would have got themselves up for it more. i reckon they will give united a run for their money after they played so poorly against balckburn.

Ah hey,

after you praised Shatners for knowing how the football forum works and all. It's like family, members have the right to say anything they want, but if an outsider says it . . . . . .

We all gang up on them

Anyway my criticism is constructive, yours by definition wouldn't be (unless you wanted to see United back on top where they belong )

i see where u coming from man, its a bit nuts that a liverpool fan cant comment or a rival team and vice versa.

too many handbags

Ah I know but that gets boring after a while.

You can tell it's getting near the end of the season can't you?

Advertisement