Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a little risky

• 27-04-2006 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just reading through the bbc news website there. And i saw this quote.

"Petrol is the new indispensable staple and the $3 gallon is to America what the over-priced potato once was to Ireland."

Now b4 this turns into a us VS them, OP is a biggot/Racist/Idiot/Tool Thread i am just looking for people reactions. Would you have put that quote in if you wrote the article.

i think its a bit silly myself cause did we ever have over priced pototoes? unless they refer to the famine and even in the famine did the price of potatoes go up? or am i talking crap.

Source---> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4944926.stm

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm a little confused by that myself; I mean, whatever exact time in Irish history it is referencing I'm sure they could have come up with a better comparison than that one... If they are referring to the famine they've really got me confused, wasn't that the potato was always in abundance (and so cheap) but during the famine was unavailable due to blight?

Anyway, even if the potato ever was expensive in Ireland, it's an odd one.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Anyway wasn't it Travellan's(spel?) corn that the Irish couldn't afford?

Advertisement