Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to speed up instore Merchant Credit Card Terminal processing transactions?

Options
  • 27-04-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

anyone know how I could speed up my Creit Card terminal machines so that when a customer wants to pay by laser / credit card, the machine processes the transaction faster.

At the moment the macine seems to take for ages to dial up / process. Somebody mentioned the possibility of using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) with our broadband, anyone know whre I could find out more?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ban CC transactions for under €5/10.

Install an ATM for people to use and you can use it to recycle your notes rather than lodging them.

There is talk of an experiment with an Oyster card type product here. Essentially only 20% of small transactions require a PIN number,so its swipe and go. I think Ulster Bank are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi,

anyone know how I could speed up my Creit Card terminal machines so that when a customer wants to pay by laser / credit card, the machine processes the transaction faster.

At the moment the macine seems to take for ages to dial up / process. Somebody mentioned the possibility of using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) with our broadband, anyone know whre I could find out more?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

B

You can only use the terminals supplied to you by your bank. Some are doing GPRS terminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭callumk

Whatever Tesco use....it's quick. Literally card popped in, pin entered and receipt got in about 15 seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you bitch enough you get higher priority when busy (caller ID based)

as you may have noted Tesco and Dunnes have high priority all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Change to a system that uses backoffice card processing.
    That way you don't have multiple terminals attempting to dial but instead they use a back office server application to share the dialout. Also you should be using ISDN instead of pstn. This is how the Tesco system works. AFAIK nobody is using VPNs for card transactions yet.

you can also accept liability for say under 30 euro so that those transactions don't need to be authorized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Has anyone else noticed that the system seems to have slowed up a bit since the introduction of chip & pin? As a customer, I just think it seems to take longer now than it used to & this is before I even get to enter my pin number - I can see how this bit would take longer as obviously the system has to verify that the pin is correct. Is it simply that there's extra traffic on the networks?

Advertisement