Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lotus Elise Import?

Options
  • 27-04-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one or done it, it's not on the VRT site? Wondering about costs (VRT/Ins), problems, daily driver use (3-4 days a week)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Make sure you get leather seats so you can wipe them dry each time the roof leaks, an event which should correspond with rain showers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I know a girl who has imported one. Uses it daily too.

Pm me your e mail address and I'll ask her contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

http://www.elise-faq.info/index.php

Let us know what sort of a VRT quote you get. When buying, the key seems to be to watch out for track day use / damage & modifications, as well as the usual Rover engine problems with head gasket failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Incidentally - although the Elise isn't on the Revenue site, the Opel Speedster (essentially a clone of the Elise and built on the same assembly line by Lotus) is:

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 28 April 2006 TIME: 13:36

STATISTICAL CODE: 40287818
    MAKE: OPEL
    MODEL: SPEEDSTER
    VERSION: SPORT 02DR / CONVERTIBLE / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 30000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JUNE 1999
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €17222
    RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €5166

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 T.C.B.

Hi Gatster,
    I imported a 2002 Elise in February of this year. It is re-registered now and I ended up paying €6,750 on it. Most '01-'02 Mk II ones will be in or around this figure depending on condition, accident history etc. 2003 and upwards I would reckon to be over the €8k mark.

T.C.B.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TJM wrote:
    Incidentally - although the Elise isn't on the Revenue site, the Opel Speedster (essentially a clone of the Elise and built on the same assembly line by Lotus) is:

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 28 April 2006 TIME: 13:36

STATISTICAL CODE: 40287818
    MAKE: OPEL
    MODEL: SPEEDSTER
    VERSION: SPORT 02DR / CONVERTIBLE / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 30000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JUNE 1999
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €17222
    RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €5166

Yes but the Opel is a 2.2 engine with 30% VRT.

The Lotus is a 1.6 or 1.8 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It'll be an S1, probably a 99. Whatever I get it has to be good for commuting in Dublin 3-4 days a week and be able to handle Dublin-Kerry runs with relative ease and without me getting out the other end knackered - have'nt really decided yet, it's between the following contenders:

00/01 MX-5 1.8 Sport/S (have driven a 1.6 last year but need to find a 1.8)
    00/01 MR-2 Roadster (drove - great fun but didn't feel as quick as I'd hoped)
    02/03 MGTF 160 (really like these but worried about reliability/quality, quickest on paper except Elise)
    98/99 Elise

Long Shots:
    2.2 Z3 (pushing the budget, so probably won't)
    01/02 Celica 190 T-Sport (If I feel sensible, Capri for the new millenium?:rolleyes: )
    I imported a 2002 Elise in February of this year
    Do you use it daily, any issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

I imported an S2 Elise at the end of 2004 for 2005 registration. The vrt is of course a rip off as on every car but i wouldnt be sure what theyd charge you for a S1 99 model. Best thing to do is ring roslare and they'll give you a price, however as you know with Vrt on the day you bring it in and they inspect it they are free to change that figure :eek:

I use my Elise daily and wouldnt have it any other way. At least once every two weeks i commute 700km return journey and i never get sick of the drive. In fact alot of the time once i return home still take the longer route just to get to drive it a bit more. I also drive at least 400km a week and although i have a choice to use other cars as a daily driver theres very very little i would choose to use instead of the elise. I also test drove alot of cars before it, mostly 2 seaters, some of which were the speedester, mx5, z3, slk, sl, s2000,mr2, tt, celica etc. But i think once you test drive these cars you'll know in your own heart which one you really want.

I have carpets inside which make a bit of differance to comfort but standard seats. The exhaust is loud, as is the engine which is in the cabin basically. I changed the stereo setup so if i dont want to hear the the engine the stereo will drown it out. Its doubtful the roof will leak unless your unlucky. Then again i really have no idea what the S1 elises are like as they are basically a whole different story! I saw a few of them this weekend as i was at a Lotus meet up in kirkistown and i guess i would just say go for it. I never regretted it for a second ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 T.C.B.

Gatster wrote:
    Do you use it daily, any issues?

I try to drive it every day if I can. I work in Dublin city centre and don't have a designated parking space so I generally don't bring it into work. No major issues to date. The windows sometimes leak very slightly but nothing that has me worried.
    I have to say, I adore the car. It's so much fun to drive. I am hoping to do a weekend course in the UK during the summer so that I can get the most out of it. The website www.1stlotus.com runs one and two day courses in various locations around the UK and are specifically geared towards Lotus drivers (you'd never have guessed! ;) ). A friend in the UK recommended them to me as he owns two Elises (he races a Mk I) and said that it'll be really worth it.

Advertisement