Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First website by complete newbie

Options
  • 27-04-2006 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I need to put together a website for zero cash so I've decided to give it a go myself with a design based program called web page maker. Any tips on where I can find free flash and/or web page templates? Or any advice/pointers that will help me get it done without looking totally crap?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Whats the website for? You could use something free like Joomla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It's for a new company going up against some big boys, so apart from being free it also has to look pretty damn slick.:eek:

Nice one on that joomla link. It looks interesting, I'll have a poke around on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are you getting paid at least?

Gordon wrote:
    Are you getting paid at least?

It's worse than that, I'm making it for myself! I just thought that instead of asking someone to do it for me for free why don't I give it a good shot myself. Fingers crossed.....

Heh, good luck to you. The best way to learn is by using -View-Source- on your browser while checking out sites you are interested in.

For the Joomla link there (which uses PHP and SQL databases), and others involving PHP, ASP etc your hosting will most definitely not be free so that's a consideration. However, you aren't considering scrimping on hosting are you?

I would give you some links but you're better off Googling and searching this forum for "templates". Here's a Google link.

How are you on HTML? Do you need links for learning it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Personally, if I was taking a serious crack at starting a business and needed a slick website; I wouldn't dream of tackling this aspect myself... it's like trying to tailor your own suit because you'd save a few hundred quid.
    At least get your logo/branding sorted out... then see about winging the website from there.

Gordon wrote:
    However, you aren't considering scrimping on hosting are you?

I would give you some links but you're better off Googling and searching this forum for "templates". Here's a Google link.

How are you on HTML? Do you need links for learning it?

I don't know any html but I was thinking on getting by on the designed based program I'm using. It's simple but very user friendly. I have a hosting package with letshost.ie so all I need now is my site!

Personally, if I was taking a serious crack at starting a business and needed a slick website; I wouldn't dream of tackling this aspect myself... it's like trying to tailor your own suit because you'd save a few hundred quid.
    At least get your logo/branding sorted out... then see about winging the website from there.

That's actually what I'm doing. I have pro doing my logo for me and I'm just going to build a simple but good looking site with a few pages for info on different services offered and some nice pics that I have.

I'm starting to change my mind about this!

Don't give up!

What have you got so far and where are you stuck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You're going to post more helpful Greek links, aren't you? :D

Hagar wrote:
    You're going to post more helpful Greek links, aren't you? :D

Greek links?

I think he's talking about Google.gr that I posted earlier!

Beware of Greeks bearing links!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

frobisher wrote:
    Beware of Greeks bearing links!

:D , very good

Advertisement