Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving house - smart ?

• 27-04-2006 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

hi, im moving house tomorrow and im set up with smart bb, the new place has a phone line but its not activated.

what do i need to do,

ring smart and cancel it here tell them im moving
    ring eircom have the new place hooked up
    ring smart and have the bb activated.
    ?? it that the correct procedure.

also what happens if smart aint available in my new area? am i stuck in the contract of doom until the end of the year?

cheers,
    luke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

you will have to buy out the remainder of the smart contract as you cannot move it to a new address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

doom! may stage my own death so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

you will have to buy out the remainder of the smart contract as you cannot move it to a new address.

I moved mine, but only because I knew I'd be moving before I signed up in my old address, and mailed them to see would I be penalised for a move. At the time, neither their FAQ or T&C were clear on this. I believe the T&C has been updated since. I got a mail back saying I wouldn't be penalised as long as I signed up with Smart at my new address.

4 months later I was moving, and they started telling me I had to either pay out my contract, or pay them a 200 fee to transfer my account to my new address (figure presumably pulled out of the air).

After a week of phone calls and e-mails back and forth, and sending on a copy of the mail I'd got before I signed up, they backed down.

It's still not very clear from the FAQ that if you move address, you have to pay out your old contract. And nowhere is a 200 euro 'transfer fee' mentioned.

Another thing to watch out for:
    They also didn't terminate my contract at my old address when I asked them to. I got calls from Eircom 2 weeks later because the new tenants were trying to get a line sorted out, and my Smart account was still there. Eircom said I'd be liable for any calls. Got onto Smart again, and they agreed not to charge me for any calls made since I moved out, since I had told them to disconnect the line.

Technical support forums, and line quality: very good
    General account management: very poor

Advertisement