Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Explain womens clothes size!

• 27-04-2006 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

What is this size 10-12 14-16 crap about ?

Is size 16 fat ? Help me out here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

well the average irish girl would be about a size 12 i guess...am i right girls?
    a size 10 is a nice size, i dont think any girl would complain of being that size, a size 14 is slightly bigger than a 12 but by no means fat. 16 would be edging towards the larger figure alright..but it ll depends on people's height too, a tall girl can pull off a size 14-16 really well, and people wouldnt believe her to be 14-16.

hope i havent offended anyone, apologies if i have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Why do you need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

klash wrote:
    What is this size 10-12 14-16 crap about ?
    It was in the 1950's I think when over 2000 women were measured and the "general sizes" were set. Women seemed to fall in to a number of measurements and they set out these sizes so that all women were catered for.. Nowadays, depending on the shop, you could be an 8 in one, a 10 in another and a 14 in the one next door.
    Is size 16 fat ? Help me out here.
    No. You havent specificied which shop determined the size 16, so its anyones guess. There was a huge article in one of the womens mags (cosmo or new woman) detailing what the sizes were. Like if you're normally a 10, you'd be a 12 in Penny's/Primark or a 14 in Next or something like that.

I'm 5' 2" and 8.5 stone. I've clothes ranging from size 8 to size 14-16 (all of which fit).

Take sizzes with a pinch of salt and try clothes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭klash

Don't need to know, i'd LIKE to know. What the hell does it mean ? How can one number be a measurement for your entire body ? Makes no sense!

Well, since the numbers vary in actual measurements from shop to shop, I think it's probably more for the convenience of the shop than the customer tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

the grouping of sizes into 12-14 and 16-18 is crap.
    the clothes end up being ill fitting to either sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

As others said, there's no understanding the system! You'll just have to try things on. Anyway, looking "fat" is more about general appearance and people's perceptions of what fat is than not being able to squeeze yourself into some number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

simu wrote:
    As others said, there's no understanding the system! You'll just have to try things on. Anyway, looking "fat" is more about general appearance and people's perceptions of what fat is than not being able to squeeze yourself into some number.
    How the hell does one buy a girl something? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

How the hell does one buy a girl something? :/

Voucher/bring her shopping and offer/get shoes or a bag or jewellery or scarf etc instead.

Dunno really - you're the one with the leet lesbian skillz!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I certainly look at enough figures to know... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

as all of you said - sizes here are pretty random...

I'm 5'11" and 10 stone - in some shops, I need size 14 at least (cause I'm tall), and the other day I found a lovely dress - size 8!!! (cause I'm skinny).

So it's really trial and error out there! I'd stay clear of buying clothes for other people (girls especially) - it's just too much of a guess, really!

I'm anything between an 8-12, though mostly 8 or 10 and I have some stuff in a 6, but as you say, length in Ireland is ridiculous. So much stuff comes in one length only ... but I'm loving places like per una where they've started selling skirts (much rarer) as well as trousers in short, regular and long. Especially since it's quite easy to get size eight in per una!

I find measurements are far more accurate than clothes sizes; buying stuff from the States, I always go by measurements :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fcukme2

Sizes don't really matter and they certainly do not tell you whether someone is fat or not-height ect. has to be a factor. We shouldn't associate sizes with being fat-someone in a small size which doesn't fit them could make them look fatter than if they were in the bigger size!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

In general terms any size bigger than yours is a fat fcuker, anything smaller is a skinny bitch.
    I think that's about it really.;)

They only make clothes for skinny bitches. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

They only make clothes for skinny bitches. :/
    Outrageous, girlfriend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Hagar wrote:
    In general terms any size bigger than yours is a fat fcuker, anything smaller is a skinny bitch.
    I think that's about it really.;)
    ha ha ha! that's exactly it!! :p I couldn't have put it better myself!

What inch waist is size 16(generally)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

34 inches.

So im 30 inch waist!So hypothetically i could fit into a size 12!:)lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Normal fashion shops start at a size 8 and go up to a 16.
    So yes, a 16 is quite big. Over a 16 is almost definitely fat.
    There can be differences in sizing in different stores, but I find I am a 10 or 12 in 95% of shops, often depending on what item I'm buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i would describe myself as a big 12/small 14..my waist is smaller than my ass and thighs! so size 12 skirts fit me, trousers sizes vary, and i find it very difficult to fit trousers that fit :(; but i have found jeans in next that fit me like a glove. even in Penneys, the 12 - 14 sometimes fits me and sometimes doesnt!! i dont much like clothes shopping due to the fact tha i usually have to pick three sizes to try on!!

im 5'5, and 10 stone (am working on reducing the weight! to try and get to a nice size 12...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Or the classic line "does my bum look big in this" :rolleyes: (yeah it always does:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

yeah, it does vary greatly from shop to shop. topshop/zara sizes are normally smaller fitting than the likes of dunnes or pennys in my opinion. i guess it's because they're aimed at a younger group.
    as for what size is considered fat, it all depends on your shape - plenty of examples of this already given.
    btw, wasn't marylin monroe a size 14? and she was by no means fat!
    sizes shouldn't matter (sometimes they do), but at the end of the day you really should just try to find what suits your shape best. the sizes are only there so we don't have to go rumaging and be completely confused everytime we try to buy clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

dundalk cailin has same problem as me (smaller waist than ass an hips) so trousers are impossible for me to find as a ten fits in the ass and is too big on the waist, an 8 fits my waist but is too tight on the ass. im also short which adds to the problem. theres a new section called 'kaberet' in dunnes stores in the square an di got a pair of size ten jeans that fit real well. as for sizes - they are all over the place im an 8 in some shops, a ten in others and then theres shops where an 8 is too big which is mental it all depends on hop wthe clothes are cut and stuff the sizes def are not uniform anymore

Advertisement