Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very interesting: Black Smoke in Pilot Episode

• 27-04-2006 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

If this has been posted before, I apologize. This is taken from the Pilot episode and shows black smoke/blur (similar to the "monster") blowing up the engine...
    ghost.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

welcome to last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Amazinginly that was my first time to see that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Don't worry nutz i'd not seen that either. Very interesting! :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think someone posted it here not so long ago. It is cool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Interesting, sure they'll feature that in a future episode :rolleyes:

Thank god I've ordered broadband, that took ages to load :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I heard about that but it's the first time I saw it, I thought it was when they were in the air. That's really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

It looks a bit too definite in shape to be the black smoke. I think it's just a bit of the plane coming down.

Fridge wrote:
    It looks a bit too definite in shape to be the black smoke. I think it's just a bit of the plane coming down.

It seems to "fly" of again after the engine exploded...

Looking at it again, it doesn't seem to go into the engine at all (or whatever part of the plane that is), it just seems to skim off the plane, so it's course as just changed.

But maybe it is the smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Fridge wrote:
    I think it's just a bit of the plane coming down.

next time use your eyes in conjunction with your brain to find the answers. Of course its black smoke! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

next use your eyes in conjunction with your brain to find the answers. Of course its black smoke! :rolleyes:

If you think it's not possible for a piece of debris to move that fast and not look like a complete blur, (similar to smoke) then you're a little more challenged than you'd like to make me out to be.

I think he was referring to the fact that it swoops down, hits the plane, then flies back off again. Debris would not have flown off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Fridge wrote:
    If you think it's not possible for a piece of debris to move that fast and not look like a complete blur, (similar to smoke) then you're a little more challenged than you'd like to make me out to be.

oh yes, looking at it again it looks more like a suitcase and nothing like black smoke. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Wow, that's the first time I've seen that as well. If the engine exploded then yes it would just fly off. The explosion would have blown it to high hell. It could have been debris from the aircraft that came down, struck the engine and when the it exploded the debris either was blown away or that ricochet off the engine. It's possible that it was either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Binomate wrote:
    Wow, that's the first time I've seen that as well. If the engine exploded then yes it would just fly off. The explosion would have blown it to high hell. It could have been debris from the aircraft that came down, struck the engine and when the it exploded the debris either was blown away or that ricochet off the engine. It's possible that it was either.
    If you look at it again, you can see that it's already flying away before the engine explodes, debris wouldn't be able to make that sort of swooping movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

If the black smoke yoke brought down the plane then this could explain why the survivors were relatively uninjured. If it was able to slow the descent somehow and if it only broke up the plane when it was close to the ground, then the passengers would have a better chance of surviving. Sure it sounds dodgy but it's slightly more plausible than the Flying Suitcase of Doom Theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Well if you look at the shape of the object it looks rectangular or square depending on how fast it was moving. If it were a curved sheet of alluminum from the plane or something then it would act like a wing when it was face down to the ground, especially when traveling so fast. It would act like a sheet of paper when drooped, that same kind of swoop effect. It's still possible, I just supose we'll have to wait and see if something is uncovered in further episodes that might give us a clue as to what it might be.

agamemnon wrote:
    If the black smoke yoke brought down the plane then this could explain why the survivors were relatively uninjured. If it was able to slow the descent somehow and if it only broke up the plane when it was close to the ground, then the passengers would have a better chance of surviving. Sure it sounds dodgy but it's slightly more plausible than the Flying Suitcase of Doom Theory.

You make an interesting point, a lot of people have said they saw numerous sightings of the "black smoke" in the first episode, particularly around Jack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

look to the right of the pic when the engine just blows up, looks like theirs another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

magick wrote:
    look to the right of the pic when the engine just blows up, looks like theirs another one

correction it looks like there are 2 on the right

• Advertisement

This is a quote from Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Writer, Supervising Producer.) on the smoke:
    It's not that its a sore point - and believe me, i appreciate your desire to get into the deepest nooks and crannies of the show... it's just that no matter how specifically i answer this question... it just keeps coming back... i just have to try to find a more definitive answer...

...how about this?

the monster does not appear anywhere in the pilot or in the other 48 days as a manifestation of black smoke.

better?

javi

However people have speculated on this and noticed he said the "monster" does not appear, which could mean the "monster" (ie. rooting up trees) is seperate from the "black smoke"....
    (these are not my thoughts - some other forum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

magick wrote:

Yeah I think you're right, there is another one. I think it has to be debris. It could easily be a mistake by the CGI animators that it flys off early. Its too square to be smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Interesting observations. Personally, I think it's just a piece of debris from the plane, could be wrong though. Remember there was a very high intake, enough to lift the guy off the ground and into the engine. It just looks a little too rectangular to be the "smoke monster".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I'm going to go for bad cgi editing on this one. Quite interesting though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Just watch the first episode and look at the backround. Theres loads of little smoke things flying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

All will be revealed in the Black Smoke flashback episode - its drug dependance, how it killed a man by accident in the outback and ended up on the plane on the way to redemption, Jack will of course glance at it in the airport foyer but miraculously not remember until the show's conceit deems it relevant....trust me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

_CreeD_ wrote:
    All will be revealed in the Black Smoke flashback episode - its drug dependance, how it killed a man by accident in the outback and ended up on the plane on the way to redemption, Jack will of course glance at it in the airport foyer but miraculously not remember until the show's conceit deems it relevant....trust me :rolleyes:

lawl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Has anyone checked thier own dvds to make sure this isnt a fraud?

Also, i dont think it would take that long for something moving that fast to hit the ground...i mean the fuselage had already landed, as had the engine, sometime moving that fast would've hit the gorund BEFORE the fuselage imho.

I just watched it frame by frame on my dvd and it changes shape as it moves. Also, it looks too insubstantial to be luggage or part of the plane. As robnubis said, the timeline is wrong for it to be something from the plane. The shape appears about 5 minutes into the episode and the plane could have crashed 5 minutes before Jack woke up. A suitcase doesn't just hang around in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

I've just watched it on my dvd. Throughout the whole start of the episode you can see these these things flying around. To me it seems obvious that they are supposed to be bits of debris and stuff. You can see them getting sucked into the engine aswel.

They're just cgi's made to look like debris.

Is it not the fact that a person gets pulled into the engine is the reason it blows up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

magick wrote:

yeah as the 1st one is just appraoching the engine the other seems to start to come into view. it also seems to glide and change course like a fighter jet or something. maybe the two objects are some sorf of advanced aircraft and the drop small missiles or something on the engine. watch it ver closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

why are the people runnin away from it? do they see the smoke or was there another reason, like they have a 6th sense and were compelled to run in random directions?

Advertisement