Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Graphics in Ireland and a new topic at boards???

Options
  • 27-04-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am finding the whole area of 3D in Ireland a bit elusive. For an industry thats worth Billions World wide I am surprised by its apparent lack of visibility in Ireland.

I have been involved with 3D apps for years - started out on Caligari Truespace. Then went over to an app I use mainly now - REALSOFT 3D [ www.realsoft.com ], I also have Lightwave 8.5 and have purchased the imminent ver 9 along with the included VUE Infinite Landscape app. I also also have Corel Painter IX.5 - intention to get into some Matte Painting with this for 3D animation.

I am highly excited by the collaborative nature of the net AND things that can result like the excellent Project Orange undertaken by the Blender App community [ Blender is a free 3D app ] - to check this out go here:

http://orange.blender.org

Its the first open source 3D movie and is being premiered in Amsterdam at the moment. I have always thought their is scope for an Irish 3D film based on our strong mythic heritage. Anyone else with these thoughts?

TO THE MODERATORS: Would it be possible to create a new 3D Graphics topic under arts? Somewhere people can upload their stuff for show as WIPS or finished pieces, stills or anims.

I spend alot of time here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/

And at the Realsoft IRC - quakenet #realsoft3d

I religiously buy 3DWorld Magazine and the new ImageFX Magazine.

This post is a shout out to hear of others in IRELAND and in Cork City [ me a Cork onion ] with an interest in this area.

Some stuff I am doodling with:

Space Scene [ animated ] -

space1.jpg

Heritage - Celtic thing - 3D and textures from around the country -

celtic1.jpg

Black and White Movie Idea about Alley Way - messing with this at mo:

alleynite1.jpg

These are all WIPS and done mainly using REALSOFT3D. Time allowing - until real life gets in the way ...

Cheers for now
    Aidan O DRiscoll
    www.netactivesolutions.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Thanks Dangerman, cheers for that. This is what I am looking for.

Although - I have been toying around with the idea of a 3D/2D Vbulletin Forum thing along the lines of a smaller simpler ver of Cgtalk for Ireland for a while. Have the space and all that and the DB's .... mmmm! Any thoughts anyone? Would this be a good idea? A little narrower than creative Ireland maybe.

Dam I should also have added ... time ... baah :)

Cheers
    Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

hi there,
    the industry in ireland is far too small to generate that much interest,
    there currently is an irish 3d fourm but its small

http://3dforum.bee-active.com/

you will be better off at the international 3d sites

i like ---
    cgtalk.com
    maxfourms.org
    cgchar.toonstruck.com
    10secondclub.net

i use 3ds max never used blender, had a look at lightwave and didnt like it, but im not saying they are not good

mark

Hi Marktsang,

Thanks for the Irish Forum Link - yes, Ive been to the others for years. Just throwing out feelers to see HOW Small the industry is in Ireland. Pity really. Ireland has such rich resources scene wise, textures etc for Film and CG. All the folklore too and legends and stories. Would make for amazing material ideas for a CG movie or part CG movie - Homegrown of course ...

The UK in contrast is very healthy and Europe is picking up ... maybe some day!

Cheers
    Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

yeah, maybe one day :D

where you hailing frrom anyhow - im down in waterford :(

--edit: i see your down in cork .. i went to college there tis a nice ol' place

mark

Advertisement