Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid Hype - Anyone else feel it's a deliberate dripfeed?

Options
  • 28-04-2006 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

The hybrids on the market now only deliver the same mpg as a decent diesel engine.

There are no hybrid diesels on the market because america dislikes it - they have an unjustified bad perception of it .

A diesel hybrid is a logical thing, why is it not offered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

102091101 wrote:
    The hybrids on the market now only deliver the same mpg as a decent diesel engine.

There are no hybrid diesels on the market because america dislikes it - they have an unjustified bad perception of it .

A diesel hybrid is a logical thing, why is it not offered?

As you said, they feel there is not enough of a market for it.

If they don't estimate that they can make a profit on something, they wont do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

I'm a big fan of hybrids especially the new civic hybrid. hoping to pick up a second hand one up from the Uk in a year and avail of the 50% vrt rebate. 109 combined horsepower from a 1.3 engine. quieter than a diesel, lower tax and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think it is mainly because of the characterisics of diesel are not ideally suited to hybrid technology..e.g. extra noise/vibration/harshness, more weight

Also diesels are actually banned in several states in america, and that is the main market for such machines.

I'd expect we will see a diesel hybrid sometime, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

There are Hybrid Diesels planned for US (and presumably here) after the US switch over to low sulphur Diesel (ULSD) in 2007. Their current petro-Diesel fuel has a justifiably bad rep as its quite dirty and outdated. The engine technology is not however.

I think Europe switched to ULSD in the late 80's, Im sure someone else here remembers.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I read in Autocar a while back that PSA are developing a hybrid version of their really brill 1.6 (I reckon - from looking at the bhp stats etc) diesel. They have a prototype, but a few years before it's on sale...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

maidhc wrote:
    ....Also diesels are actually banned in several states in america, and that is the main market for such machines. ..

Only light-duty diesel-powered vehicles are banned. Heavy vehicles are ok, and they do allow the sale of diesel fuel.

The problem with diesel in a eco car is thats it doesn't pass the stricter emissions standards.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/93338/article.html

Advertisement