Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good looking Look and feel for a java GUI.

Options
  • 28-04-2006 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Any links or otherwise to a decent looking Java look and Feel would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Dude joint effort, post if you find any thing. I wll to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed1/dg/index.htm

This is something i came accross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thanks I have seen that already, its really helpfull if you want to create your own L&F but I dont have the time to. FYP deadline is next Thursday, its all done except to give it a different look from everybody else.

Anyways after a long look last night after posting this I came accross this:
    substance.
    Its pretty good and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ARGINITE wrote:
    Any links or otherwise to a decent looking Java look and Feel would be great.

I would have said that the existing, built-in ones were "decent looking", but I guess thats just me.
    FYP deadline is next Thursday, its all done except to give it a different look from everybody else.

Being slightly Devil's Advocatish here...and cause I've a really crappy day for almost exactly this reason....

Why would you want your application to have a different look?

I know skinning and the like is all the rage with the "in" crowd, but the majority of computer users want to not have to think about the UI. What makes them have to think? Well, the UI not being consistent with everything else, for a start.....which is generally cause someone wanted it to look different and "stand out".

Maybe its cause I'm old and past it, but I cringed when VB made it wasy for so-called developers to "make it look cooler", because 999 out of 1000, all it did was make it more confusing - both visually and in usage.

Then, just as it looked like people were settliong down, the Web exploded in popularity and was seen not just as a license to create your own look-and-feel, but as a requirement to do so.

Since then, skinning etc. has become all the rage - where everything can be moved everywhere, made to look like anything, so you can have your media-player looking like an alien-head or something.

At the very least, if you're going to make your app look all groovy and cool, make sure there's an easy-to-find option (ideally presented in a dialog on first-startup or something like that) asknig "Are you hip, young, and trendy like me and want MyGroovyLook[tm], or are you old and boring like bonkey and just want a UI you can intuitively understand cause it adheres to standards".

After apps refusing to match their colours to the defaults I have set in my installation of Windows, apps which have "different" looks-and-feel are the most likely to get uninstalled right-damn-quick.

As a lecturer, I'd mark students down for making my life harder if their app ignored standards. Give me the option to break them if you like, but break them for me? Well...imagine if people started doing that with funcationality...

Having said all of that....best of luck with it all.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Why would you want your application to have a different look?

Well its the lecturer who asked for it and so the lecturer will get what he asked for.
    At the end of the day its just more marks for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Thanks pH.
    I like the OYOAHA LookAndFeel:)

Advertisement