Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden front door Warped!

Options
  • 28-04-2006 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My wooden front door is warped with the bottom and top closing but I have to put pressure on the centre to close. It is only a year old and I really don't want to have to go through the bother of fighting to get it replaced. Is there any way of straigtening it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

At the moment your door is belly out, you need to put the door in a belly in position for a few days by putting a clamp on it or by putting two pieces of wood at the top and the bottom where it meets the frame and closing it in the middle.
    When your door straightens out seal it with varnish or paint, especially at the end grain at the bottom of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you can take it off, lay it warped side up on two blocks and weight it down in the middle until it warps back....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Part and parcel of using a natural element for your door. In the current warm climate we are enjoying, the outside face of the door is actually shrinking, and this is causing the warping at the moment. A couple of days rain , and it will probably return to its former state.

Depending on how well the door was weather proofed, will also affect its ability to move.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've left 2 logs on a table top I'm making which is slightly warped over the long weekend. Hopefully it will be slightly flatter come Tuesday, what do yee reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's scandalous the amount of hardwood doors that are fitted around the country without ever having any sealing coats applied to the endgrains, top and bottom...there might be 4 coats of stain/varnish/paint on the faces and sides but the part that absorbs the most moisture is as bare as the day the tree was felled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement