Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lack of eircom investment

• 28-04-2006 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I cant get an eircom phone line, An eircom 'surveyor' called to house recently to appraise the task of installing a line, he told me there was not enough lines running outside the house '10 pair' to facilitate my connection,

the last time there was work done in my area was 50 years ago, i live within 15 miles of lucan and the only hope of getting a landline broadband option is waiting on eircom to hang another line from the exchange to me, to get the opportunity to be turned down due to line conditions,

it looks like investment in broadband in ireland ( or the basic infrastructure to allow it) is still far from adequate regardless of what stories eircom tell us. I have waited 3 months to get my 'surveyor vist' maybe in another 4 years i might be able to get a 2mb line. Long live the prosperous Ireland that see's us ranked under hungary in BB rollout.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Mate, if you live as far as you say (15 miles from Lucan), even with a phoneline put in, there's no way you'll get broadband. You have to be within 5km from your exchange to get broadband in this dump of a country, I live 6km from mine and I'll never get it, guaranteed. Lack of investment?, pfft, that's old news.. you think the investment quota is bad now?, ha ha, wait until B&B buy out Eircom and start to asset strip them, it'll go from bad to worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

try the wireless companies and then sign up with blueface http://www.blueface.ie or some other voip provider

good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I cant get an eircom phone line, An eircom 'surveyor' called to house recently to appraise the task of installing a line, he told me there was not enough lines running outside the house '10 pair' to facilitate my connection
    You should write to eircom and demand a line be installed as per their UNIVERSAL SERVICE OBLIGATION and with FUNCTIONAL INTERNET ACCESS. The bits in caps are important .

They have one year to do so from date of order. Do it in writing for fear they lose it and your year starts all over. If you have it in writing then you are 3 months into your year which means they have 9 months.

If your order is in their system already then contact phil.nolan@eircom.ie and cc info@comreg.ie to escalate once Phils Office answers .
    it looks like investment in broadband in ireland ( or the basic infrastructure to allow it) is still far from adequate regardless of what stories eircom tell us.
    LOL , and tell me you believed them ...it will make my weekend :p
    I have waited 3 months to get my 'surveyor vist' maybe in another 4 years i might be able to get a 2mb line. Long live the prosperous Ireland that see's us ranked under hungary in BB rollout.
    our peers today are indeed the likes of Hungary and Slovakia while advanced countries like Estonia and Slovenia score much higher than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kildareculchie

Laguna wrote:
    Mate, if you live as far as you say (15 miles from Lucan), even with a phoneline put in, there's no way you'll get broadband. You have to be within 5km from your exchange to get broadband in this dump of a country,QUOTE]

I dont live up a tree, :) I am about 3-4 km from exchange, I recently moved a short distance away and the old house can get broadband, its the 50yrs of use of the local telephone lines and 50 yrs of line rental paid by locals with no reinvestment to prepare for future expansion that got me ranting, I can get Wireless from ICE but the height of the aerial on top of the roof to achieve LOS isnt what i want,

There is an eircom line on two sides of my new place, i am prepared to pay line rental but cant be connected because the lines have no more capacity.

I meant no disrespect to our european neighbours it just frustrates me when i see info like this

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30814

why is there no data on household connections etc for ireland, we know how bad it is, we just want it to be acknowleded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

why is there no data on household connections etc for ireland, we know how bad it is, we just want it to be acknowleded.

there is but its cooked by Comreg. eg to hide arpu being the highest in the EU, comreg added switzerland

see www.comwreck.com for more and write those emails instead of moaning to us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I cant get an eircom phone line, An eircom 'surveyor' called to house recently to appraise the task of installing a line, he told me there was not enough lines running outside the house '10 pair' to facilitate my connection,
    A friend of mine had a similar problem on a new estate in kilcock, it took nearly a year to get a phone line.

I suggest that you type your neighbours phone numbers into one of the DSL prequalification checkers, as it will tell you which exchange you are most lightly to be put on and will give you a better idea if you will be able to get broadband in the future, as it is probable that the cable will be strung along the same route.
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

smarttelecom.com 's line checker will give you the exchange if you know a neighbours phone no :)

Advertisement