Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wont be in Ireland when SSIA matures

Options
  • 28-04-2006 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My SSIA will mature in March next year and I have been residence in Ireland since it started, but im going away for a year in September and wont be in Ireland when the account matures in March 07

Would this cause a problem - me not being here to collect? The account is with AIB - so im a bit worried

Can anyone put me mind at ease

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Best bet is to ask AIB customer service themselves. I'm in a similar situation i.e out of the country and don't know if i will be back when my SSIA matures around march next year too.

I went in to AIB asking them this very question and they told me to not worry about it until around the time of SSIA maturity as i may well be back in the country by then.

I have heard quite a few people saying that if you are not in the country when the SSIA matures that you are not entitled to the goverment bonus but then again how will they ever be able to prove that? From what I gather there will be some sort of documentation sent out about a month prior to maturity which you have to sign. Whats stopping someone getting a friend/family member to post the documents to your new country of residence, signing them and posting it back....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Yeah I will collect it for you, I will western union it to you where ever you are, just post your daetails!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Technically aren't you supposed to be resident in the country for the entine term of the SSIA? Banks could get into trouble helping people around this!

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ashie

Hi,

Im in the same situation. Will most likely be out of the country too by next May when mine matures. Any ways around it???? Any feedback greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Guys, you are confusing residing (in terms of being somewhere on a given day) with resident.

You don't need to be residing (i.e. in Ireland) in the country on the day your SSIA matures. You just need to be ordinarily resident of the country for the term of the SSIA

Unless you have lived out of the country for 3 or more consecutive years, then you are considered ordinarily resident. 'Ordinarily resident' is a minimum residency status that you need to collect the government contribution to your SSIA.

In this case it won't matter if you are outside the country on the day your SSIA matures (or even two whole year beforehand), just make sure you have signed the form you need to sign and when your a/c matures call the bank or go online and transfer the lot out into a savings a/c until you know what to do with it. In fact just give the bank your new address and get them to send it you you there. You are not doing anything illegal

For me I have been living outside of Ireland for the last two years, have an SSIA but will be coming back to Ireland end of May. Since I will be residing in Ireland in 2006/2003/2002 and next yearthen I am still ordinarily resident for the term of my SSIA.

Hope this allays your fears

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ashie

You are a star mayshine. Thanks for that. I will probably be only out of the country 5 months max. You have no idea the weight you have taken off my shoulders. Whats confusing for me is that I called AIB and asked them the same question and she kind of said I had be living here still to get the money. In all fairness though I think I just got a receptionist because she sounded a little "confused" giving the answer. AIB customer service at its best!!

Fabulous news!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

ashie wrote:
    You are a star mayshine. Thanks for that. I will probably be only out of the country 5 months max. You have no idea the weight you have taken off my shoulders. Whats confusing for me is that I called AIB and asked them the same question and she kind of said I had be living here still to get the money. In all fairness though I think I just got a receptionist because she sounded a little "confused" giving the answer. AIB customer service at its best!!

Fabulous news!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people you talk to at the bank are usually just tellers or customer service monkeys - I never find them too knowledgable.

Just make sure that you sign the form - if the bank won't send it to you foreign address, then get a family member or friend to forward it too you

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

yep that good news - i went into AIB but i didnt get a straight answer out of either of the two girls i talked to.

My cousin's SSIA matured and she signed the form - but she said that she had to call into the bank with her passport!!!!!!

I will be livingh in Ireland for 4 1/4 years of the SSIA- i know that meet the requirements - ill get the form signed alrite and the rest will be over the internet as im backpacking for the year.

ill make AIB aware of this now - knowing that there wont be a prob, me not collecting on the day of maturity.

Thanks for clearing that up mayshine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Does anyone know the cheapest way of moving my SSIA money from my irish ebs account to a UK sterling account? I want to buy a car over here with the money and dont want to looose a fortune on it.

Also, is the end of April (tommorrow) when the last SSIA pays out?Or is it the end of May? I got my SSIA on the last available week and dont know whn i'll be getting the money (tomorrow or the end of may!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

just fly back and get the money

• Advertisement
Advertisement