Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be our next Taoiseach?

Options
  • 28-04-2006 6:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Bertie or Enda? Who is going to win. Try to separate this out from the question of who should win.

If today's polls were General Election ones I would predict an outcome of:

FF: 60
    FG: 55
    Labour: 21
    PD: 6 (normally 5 but now we have O'Gorman in the fray)
    SF: 10-16
    Independent: 10

But a lot can change between now and then. Can the govt be saved by a few more "high-profile" candidates, or by the SSIAs? Or simply because of a desire by the voters for economic stability? Can anything save Bertie? Will SF go in with Bertie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Well according to my dad (who knows more about the current mood than I do as he is back in Ireland), FF are going to stay in power. Like he says FG are simply not strong enough to take power (plus SF seem to be gaining seats at Labour and FGs expense). Experts are reckoning that my local FG TD (Jimmy Denihan sp?) wont get his seat next time around, and labour seem to have lost their strength in Kerry.
    When is the election? I might come home to vote.

Note: my dad has always supported Labour and doesnt like FF, so I was surprised to hear him say there was no hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Unpossible wrote:
    Well according to my dad (who knows more about the current mood than I do as he is back in Ireland), FF are going to stay in power. Like he says FG are simply not strong enough to take power (plus SF seem to be gaining seats at Labour and FGs expense). Experts are reckoning that my local FG TD (Jimmy Denihan sp?) wont get his seat next time around, and labour seem to have lost their strength in Kerry.
    When is the election? I might come home to vote.

Note: my dad has always supported Labour and doesnt like FF, so I was surprised to hear him say there was no hope

I am also surprised. I doubt that Kerry is typical of the country anyway. I mean it gave Martin Ferris (SF) 24%. It is a more republican county than most, so FG obviously wouldn't be so popular there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

any one have money on Gerry Adams.....

I am also surprised. I doubt that Kerry is typical of the country anyway.
    Hey I was also surprised, Im no fan of FF . I really hope kerry isnt typical of the rest of the country either.

sure fwat would we do if ye all get dolphins hah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its not going to be Bertie though even if FF get into power?

• Advertisement

its not going to be Bertie though even if FF get into power?

Why?

how long has he been taoiseach again ... 9 years isn't that enough? isn't there a legal limit on one man being taoiseach in this country

9 years isn't that enough? isn't there a legal limit on one man being taoiseach in this country
    Do you mean consecutively or combined? I'd be very surprised if this is true

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Brian Cowen will be the next taoiseach

He has to keep going to beat Dev's record of 16 consecutive years.

• Advertisement

Unpossible wrote:
    Do you mean in total or combined? I'd be very surprised if this is true

Argh :o I blame http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Bertie_Ahern its not very clear on what years Bertie was leader of an FF government

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Bertie will be the next Taoiseach.

I can even see him being a strong contender for a 4th term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

The SSIAs are going to come due between now and just before the next election. How convient for FF

Plus, like last time, there will be a humongous pre-election splurge in budget spending and tax-cuts. And the same gullable folks who voted for them last time will do so again becuase they just got a huge tax-cut, their street/road repaved, and ten thousand or so out of the SSIA. And between 2007-2012 more people will die on hospital trollies, commutes will get longer, crime will go up while the electioneers make a bunch of cutbacks while they go on a junket to Argentina to see how they manage a budget.

Unpossible wrote:
    Do you mean consecutively or combined? I'd be very surprised if this is true

No I am right there was thread on this before I wasn't sure about then either but look

Taoiseach June 1997-June 2002
    Taoiseach June 2002-Present

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Ahern

He is has been leader of his party for 12 yrs

anything past 10yrs is too much for any so called democratic country...

Look someone been keeping an eye on this... :) ooh a WP fan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Taoisigh_by_important_facts#
    Bertie Ahern June 26, 1997 (as of April 13, 2006) 1 3213

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think Ahern will be next Taoiseach, but I'd rather Brian Cowen tbh. I think Cowen genuinely (well, as genuine as a politician gets) has the national interest at heart. I never get that feeling from Ahern. Ahern can also barely string a sentence togedder.

I genuinely can't see FG or Lab for that matter making serious gains. If Harney can pull something off with health service reform then I'd bet the farm on FF/PD and unfortunately Ahern as Taoiseach.

Harney would make a good one too IMO, but as a minority party it's never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

anything past 10yrs is too much for any so called democratic country...

I know people in the same job for 35 years?

In business - many CEOs are in change for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

FF will be in power after the next election in a coalition with the PDs with Bertie as Taioseach. Why rock the boat... Labour and Fine Gael being in power would be disastrous for this country. Enda Kenny as Taioseach!! We'd be the laughingstock of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

SeanW wrote:
    Plus, like last time, there will be a humongous pre-election splurge in budget spending and tax-cuts.
    Cowen has said that they won't do anything massive as it could cause inflation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...portant_facts#
    Bertie Ahern June 26, 1997 (as of April 13, 2006) 1 3213
    That link just tells us how many terms each one served, Haughey and de Valera both served 3 so whats stopping bertie serving 3?

Note: I really really hope you are right and bertie is forced out, but i need proof before I believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

The latest opinion poll in The Sunday Business Post gave Fianna Fail a 5% increase on their last poll, Sinn Fein down 3% and Fine Gael also down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Enda Kenny for Taoiseach and Pat Rabbitte for Tanaiste. I can see a Fine Gael/Labour/Green Party "Rainbow" Coalition replacing the current Government with Fianna Fail losing about 20 to 30 seats (hopefully more) However Sinn Fein will make huge Gains and there could be the possibility of a Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein Coalition possibly propped up by a few Independents like the way the 1997-2002 Government was Propped up by Jackie Healy-Rae, Mildred Fox and that other fella.

There are now something like 12 Independents and I think they should form a lose Independent Alliance with common ground on Various issues. They would have considerable influence considering they have 12 seats (Correct me if i am wrong) and this number is sure to rise as people are disenfranchised and totally fed-up with most parties.

Ireland also seems to be a case in question as we have no Far-Right party like Britain's BNP, Which are set for an Electoral success beyond belief if the British polls are to be believed in next Thursday's Local Election in the UK.

Oh yeah as for Kerry we are totally off the National trend in politics (I think we are ahead of the rest of ye ;) or behind!) Nothing much will change South Kerry will see see: John O'Donoghue elected poll topping on the FF Gravy Train, Tom Sheehan or maybe even ex-GAA President Sean Kelly taking the Labour Seat for Fine Gael, My own Local Man Jackie will be left to battle it out with Tom Fleming for last place, If Jackie himself runs, (which he has said he will, then Tom Fleming will have a good aul chance but I think the Transfers will from FG & labour plus the other candidates will help keep the Healy-Rae Dynasty in Dail Eireann again. I would rather see Jackie's son Michael run as he would have a better chance.

As for north Kerry things will say much the same but Jimmy Denihan's seat is dodgy, who will take it is unknown to me. Norma Foley of FF is a likely Candidate but Teresa Ferris if she was to run would rattle it too giving SF 2 seats in the 3 seater constituency. Kerry will buck the trend and Vote Fianna Fail even more than before, I blame the lack of a TV Signal around my own area and maybe the High Radon-Gas in the North of the County. Then again in real terms We all have more money in our pockets and most people have that as the bottom line. I Credit this to Bill Clinton, The Peace Process and EU Grants. It will make for an interesting 12 months of political dog-fighting for sure.

Okay I have seen something on the news about the new poll. http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0429/fiannafail.html FF is now on 38%, FG 23%, Labour 11%, PD 4%, SF 8%, Greens 7% and "Others" 9% (mostly Independents). This gives the current govt 42% compared with 41% for a putative Rainbow of FG-Lab-Green. So it could be very close, and a lot, may depend on the stance SF will take on who should form the next govt. Do they really want the Blueshirts? Alternatively we may get another 1997-2002 scenario - if there are enough pro-FF Independents in the Dail.

Seems that the 1916 commemoration has succeeded in reasserting FF's "Green" credentials and clawed back some support from SF. If I were them I'd do it again before the next election and that should help.

Seems that the 1916 commemoration has succeeded in reasserting FF's "Green" credentials and clawed back some support from SF. If I were them I'd do it again before the next election and that should help.
    Surely you mean Republican. It was O'Donohue who recently impressed the Greens.

Surely you mean Republican. It was O'Donohue who recently impressed the Greens.

The other kind of "Green"ness. :rolleyes:

The other kind of "Green"ness. :rolleyes:
    I know what you meant, but your lingo was "incorrect" and could cause some momentary confusion. I was merely pointing out that "Republican" was clearer.

Unpossible wrote:
    That link just tells us how many terms each one served, Haughey and de Valera both served 3 so whats stopping bertie serving 3?

Note: I really really hope you are right and bertie is forced out, but i need proof before I believe it.

ah well dev was a differnet time, haughey atleast that wasn't consecutive, it bounced back between him and fitzgerald, look at bush, clinton, or blair, thatcher time catches up on them after two terms/10yrs ... people need change, there doesn't even half to a particular reason or scandal...

here another fact there to note
    As of October 2005, Ahern is the 5th longest-serving political leader (European Council President-designate) among the 25 European Union member states, after Jean-Claude Juncker (1995-next election June 2009), Jacques Chirac (1995-next election 2007), Göran Persson (1996-next election Sep 2006) and Tony Blair (1997-next election by Jun 2010)

:rolleyes:
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Nothing much will change South Kerry will see see: John O'Donoghue elected poll topping on the FF Gravy Train

Interesting, because a few short months ago you posted this...
    netwhizkid wrote:
    The real battle in this constituency will be Donoghue clining on and battling for transfers. I really hope he loses his seat btw.

Nothing like a bit of consistency...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

jhegarty wrote:
    any one have money on Gerry Adams.....

well considering he doesnt run as a td he would have a tough time becoming a taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Bertie or Enda? Who is going to win. Try to separate this out from the question of who should win.

If today's polls were General Election ones I would predict an outcome of:

FF: 60
    FG: 55
    Labour: 21
    PD: 6 (normally 5 but now we have O'Gorman in the fray)
    SF: 10-16
    Independent: 10

Why did you leave the Greens out of your prediction? Currently they have more seats than SF. Or was excluding them a Freudian slip?

• Advertisement

M&#250 wrote: »
    Why did you leave the Greens out of your prediction? Currently they have more seats than SF. Or was excluding them a Freudian slip?

Sorry. Anyway that's the poll before Sunday's one so it's out of date anyway. I think I included them later in the thread. I agree they are a crucial part of the arithmetic and that a Rainbow will fall far short of a majority without them. Didn't realise I have excluded them earlier.

Advertisement