Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leather or No Leather - Black or Cream

Options
  • 28-04-2006 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Is leather seats in cars more comfortable than ordinary cloth seats does anyone know. Only had the pleasure of cream leather seats when my uncle gave me his new BMW 5 for an evening, it was comfortable but does it make a difference.

Cream leather and chocolate I guess dont go together and then black leather will burn your arse during the summer. Also see alot of black cars with cream leather interior - nice though.

Seen a nice Civic black with cream leather interior and thought that it looked nice, am currently saving up for a New Civic 1.8 ES (44.1 mpg with 140bhp)

Anyone got any thoughts to justify the cost of adding leather seats as an option when buying a new car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

:D Looks good,

:) Easy to clean,

:cool: Makes car more sale-able,

:o Sweaty Ar$e and lower back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

My last car had half leather in black. It is very comfortable and hardwearing and easy to clean.
    Avoid cream like the plague - I was recently in a car showroom that had a new car with cream lather seats. I asked how long it was on the floor and I was told 5 days. The right hand side of the drivers seat was black with dirt already

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cream leather looks amazing in certain colour cars. It can be difficult to clean as johnnyrotten states - not to be recommended if you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leather is great. The only way to really know whether its the leather that makes the difference is to sit in the same car with and without leather. Ive seen pictures of my car with cloth interiorsand it looks really comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I think leather gets better with age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Some manufacturers only use the bare minimum of leather resulting in a tight, stretched look which I don't like. I like to be able to 'pinch' the leather.

Quote : Seen a nice Civic black with cream leather interior and thought that it looked nice.

Yeah - cream in a black car looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I can just imagine black leather burning my arse during the summer months.

SO basicly people rather the look of the leather than anything else. The cloth fabric on my Astra is worn away as i where jeans at the weekends trousers during the week. But I reckon the jeans have worn the fabric away - looks bad.

Cream Leather - looks nice but not something you could have with a young child with a chocolate bar in 28 degrees heat in the summer lol....

kluivert wrote:

SO basicly people rather the look of the leather than anything else. The cloth fabric on my Astra is worn away as i where jeans at the weekends trousers during the week. But I reckon the jeans have worn the fabric away - looks bad.

Cream Leather - looks nice but not something you could have with a young child with a chocolate bar in 28 degrees heat in the summer lol....

Which would you prefer, melted chocolate on a fabric seat, or on a cream leather seat?
    I'd prefer the latter, it can be wiped off in seconds with a damp cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

kluivert wrote:

28 degrees in Ireland?????
    I have cream leather in my accord and we have a young baby and I find leather great, chocolate is no problem, get a good leather cleaner and conditioner and it should remain perfect. Think what would happen with chocolate in 28 degrees and fabric seats, you will need to shampoo the seats to get it out, leather just needs a wipe of a damp cloath and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Leather is a definite on a car that is on any lever upwards of a repmobile, and even on a lot of repmobiles !

Black doesn't stain, but looks gloomy and goes shiny, whereas the lighter colours contrast nicely, make the interior seem more airy and are classier, however clothes dyes leave them grubby no matter how careful you are ! You need to invest in a decent cleaner and protectant (€50) and use regularly, even every month !

Light colours dont get hot in summer !

• Advertisement

pbergin wrote:
    28 degrees in Ireland?????
    I have cream leather in my accord and we have a young baby and I find leather great, chocolate is no problem, get a good leather cleaner and conditioner and it should remain perfect. Think what would happen with chocolate in 28 degrees and fabric seats, you will need to shampoo the seats to get it out, leather just needs a wipe of a damp cloath and job done.

Yes 28 degrees keep an eye on the weather forecasts this year, its going to be a hot summer.

So cleaning say cream leather seats is grand then, use protector and clean it and your flying. I really like the look of the black car with cream leather looks classy.

Thanks for the opinions lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

kluivert wrote:
    Seen a nice Civic black with cream leather interior and thought that it looked nice, am currently saving up for a New Civic 1.8 ES (44.1 mpg with 140bhp)

Yeah my next purchase is the hybrid civic(1.3 109 horsepower). Gonna try to get black with the cream leather. Best combination.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have black leather in mine and no sweaty arse even when I was in the sweltering heat of France (~35 degrees C). Air con does help though!
    If you do get leather get Liquid leather cleaner and conditioner! www.liquidleather.com

I see more and more cars now on the second hand market with leather interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

perforated leather in the seat and seatback helps to prevent SAS

SAS

I guessing, Sweaty Arze Syndrome ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I got full black leather in the audi I picked up and it initally boils the ring off you (johnny cash in full flow ;) ) but with the air con it is sorted.

Do you think a car has more chance of been sold private with leather

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When I'm buying a used car leather is nice to have, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Black car, cream leather is a nice combination, but be warned, it is hard to keep clean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

People selling used cars with leather add a grand to the price! I know as I'm looking right now.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting discussion!

My current car is the first car I have owned with leather upholstery. It's great for comfort (and to clean) and it's not sweaty at all

Now for a funny stat:

My car is now worth less than it cost the original owner just to tick the wee button for the option to change the standard BMW full leather upholstery for full nappa leather upholstery :)
    mike65 wrote:
    People selling used cars with leather add a grand to the price! I know as I'm looking right now.

Mike.

As in €5k with and €4k without the basic leather or thereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep that about right! (I may have found my next chariot, in Thurles, €3400)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    I may have found my next chariot, in Thurles, €3400

G'luck Mike! If that fails, there's still about 2000 of them in Dublin. Might prove difficult to convince the (taxi drivers) owners to part with them though...

Advertisement