Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connecting up home wifi

• 28-04-2006 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

hi, i have a wifi 54mbps b/g laptop. if i buy a usb wifi 54mbps dongle for my desktop e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9716031901&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:UK:1 will i be able to make a connection between the laptop and desktop so i browse and copy files back and forth?? Will i be able to set up a connection allowing me to route through the desktop for internet surfing? - sorry if it seems like a dumb question - it sjust that its hard to keep up with the latest technology and networking from year to year!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yes if you buy a wireless network adapter for PC then you would be able to create an ad hoc wireless network between the laptop and desktop. If you then share one or more folders on each PC you can copy files across. Your wireless card manual will have instructions ho how to set up an ad hoc network. You might need to manually assign ip addresses to each machine as there is no DHCP server.

As regards sharing an internet connection, yes this is also possible, but can sometimes be a lil tricky to set up. What sort of internet connection do you have (dialup, broadband, etc) and how is it connected to the desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

I have a dialup connection on the desktop. Would it be possible to setup a vnc connection to initiate the connection and then have the software make the connection available to the trusted wireless network?

Yep VNC would work. Use Internet connection sharing to share the dialup. Google it if ur not sure how to enable it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

bibibobo wrote:
    I have a dialup connection on the desktop. Would it be possible to setup a vnc connection to initiate the connection and then have the software make the connection available to the trusted wireless network?

The initiate connection bit can be automated by ticking the 'Allow other users to initiate a connection' when you're setting up ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

irlrobins wrote:
    Yes if you buy a wireless network adapter for PC then you would be able to create an ad hoc wireless network between the laptop and desktop. If you then share one or more folders on each PC you can copy files across. Your wireless card manual will have instructions ho how to set up an ad hoc network. You might need to manually assign ip addresses to each machine as there is no DHCP server.

As regards sharing an internet connection, yes this is also possible, but can sometimes be a lil tricky to set up. What sort of internet connection do you have (dialup, broadband, etc) and how is it connected to the desktop?

I have setup an ad hoc wireless network after great difficulty fiddling with settings ... i didn't have the SSID the same on both desktop and laptop ... i have WPA-None, TKIP network authentication enabled with long password. There was also an option to enable AES authentication --- Question: is my current settings the most secure i can get?

Also is an adhoc network limited to 11Mbps thus restricting the 54Mbps which is in theory available ? Is it possible to setup an infrastructure network in my current configuration to get the benefit of max speed?

My configuration is: laptop with in built WiFi b/g communicating with desktop with USB WiFi b/g adaptor. Desktop connects to the internet via dialup (!). I mainly want to transfer large files back and forth between the PC's and occassionally surf the net remotely so i will have to enable file sharing and internet connection sharing.

Another question: do i need to setup IP addresses manually and if so what are good ones to pick? 198.186.1.1 etc?

• Advertisement

bibibobo wrote:
    Question: is my current settings the most secure i can get?
    no, but it will suffice probably. Defeat all but the most determined hacker
    bibibobo wrote:
    Also is an adhoc network limited to 11Mbps thus restricting the 54Mbps which is in theory available ?
    The 802.11g specification does not include any requirement to support Ad-Hoc mode at 802.11g speeds. A company could supply a radio that only does 11Mbits/sec in ad-hoc mode and still be 802.11g compliant.

bibibobo wrote:
    Another question: do i need to setup IP addresses manually and if so what are good ones to pick? 198.186.1.1 etc?
    Manual ip addresses are needed as u don't have a dhcp server running. Use 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. Should work fine for you.

Advertisement