Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next season's Premiership winners...

• 28-04-2006 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭

...will be Liverpool.

Just looking at the stats for our season so far on football365.com. Our home form was:

Played 18, Won 14, Drew 3, Lost 1.

Obviously Anfield is a fortress again and our home form is championship form. The only game we lost was that bizarre thumping by Chelsea early on (I blame Traore for that). We also only conceded 3 goals all season at home after the Chelsea game.

Away, our stats look like this:

Played 18, Won 9, Drew 4, Lost 5.

Other than the blips to Charlton and Fulham away, the other three losses were against the big boys in the Premiership - Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd.

What all this tells me is that we are very VERY close to challenging for the title next season. We already have the consistency. The only thing we don't have is the points against our rivals. Take 6 points away from Chelsea and give them to us and where do we stand?

I think a couple of top quality signings in the summer - a world class winger and striker for example - will help us get results against Chelski next season. We already have the best manager in the league if not in the world.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is it not a bit early to be starting threads like these?
    Summer transfer window,world cup still to come. Season doesnt start for another 3/4 months and the current one not even over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cool, so all we have to do is get the FA (and all the other teams) to give us special dispensation to play all 38 games at home next season.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Could we not just change the thread title to "Who do you support?".

I also think Liverpool will be Premieship champions next year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

FFS! at least let this one be over. LiverpoolFC winners next year etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ardent wrote:
    Take 6 points away from Chelsea and give them to us and where do we stand?
    Okay, then the board should appeal to the FA not to play Chelsea next season and forfeit the 6 points! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool are gonna win the world cup! Brazil have no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I agree that it's too early to start this thread. And as things stand Liverpool have to improve more than two teams at least, over the course of the summer, to have a chance of winning the league.

It's all about summer signings etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Maybe I should have renamed the thread "FAO Liverpool fans" or "Liverpool End of Season Report". Or maybe I should have put up a disclaimer, no offence intended etc.

I don't think it's too early at all to look forward to next season. This season is as good as over with the FA Cup final and European Cup final the only meaningful games to look forward to.

As I said, I was just going through the stats for Liverpool's season and it struck me how fine the margins are between success and failure. Hypothetically, if Liverpool had beaten Chelsea home and away this season and Man United beat them this weekend, all three teams would level on 82 points.

Chelsea's rivals are not as far away as Mourinho would have you believe and I think next seasons title race will be a very tight affair. I particularly think Liverpool have the the best shot at overhauling Chelsea, I can parallels with Rafa's Valencia. Or maybe I'm just the excitable type! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

While it is a strong statement to say that "x team will win the title next year" I do think it will be a closer race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Both United and Chelsea have better records than us overall. That must make each of them champions too!

The team that wins next year will be the team that

1 Settles quickest
    2 reinforces most
    3 has the most luck with injuries

Personally I cannot see past Chelsea unless Liverpool get some great strikers or United get some defensive midfielders.

While the run that United and Liverpool have had is quite good, its not good enough.

Arsenal will be back aswell. Depends if Henry stays or not and what Wenger can pull out of his bag of magic players.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Ardent wrote:
    ...will be Liverpool.

Just looking at the stats for our season so far on football365.com. Our home form was:

Obviously Anfield is a fortress again and our home form is championship form. The only game we lost was that bizarre thumping by Chelsea early on (I blame Traore for that). We also only conceded 3 goals all season at home after the Chelsea game.

Away, our stats look like this:

Other than the blips to Charlton and Fulham away, the other three losses were against the big boys in the Premiership - Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd.

What all this tells me is that we are very VERY close to challenging for the title next season. We already have the consistency. The only thing we don't have is the points against our rivals. Take 6 points away from Chelsea and give them to us and where do we stand?

I think a couple of top quality signings in the summer - a world class winger and striker for example - will help us get results against Chelski next season. We already have the best manager in the league if not in the world.

Thoughts?

obviously spurs will win, becuase we scored more goals at home that liverpool did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Chelsea will probably win again :( Man U to get to semis+ in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Chelsea
    Man U
    Liverpool
    Arsenal(depending if Henry stays)

It will be very close between United and Chelsea, if United buy the right players...

Cant see Liverpool finishing ahead of them two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

lets not forget we have speedy gonzalez coming to us, when ya's talk about signing wingers.

next season the LFC V Chelski, LFC V Manure and Manure V Chelski will be 6-point games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

lets not forget we have speedy gonzalez coming to us, when ya's talk about signing wingers.

next season the LFC V Chelski, LFC V Manure and Manure V Chelski will be 6-point games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nowhere near consistant enough, they don't have the attack required to win the premiership, they have the midfield and defense though.
    However to get the attack required is quite expensive and needs a bit of luck.

They have a new right winger and he is a fairly good player, but will need time to adjust to the premiership.
    Then they need another top quality winger as cover for Kewell/Gonzales
    They need two decent strikers.
    They also need a better left back, Riise is an old fashioned wing back, and that's not enough.
    Then they need to a top quality CB for 2 years until Agger matures, Hypia is why they always lose to the top teams btw.

6 new players required

----

Just looking at the OP:
    Our home form was:

Obviously Anfield is a fortress again and our home form is championship form.

Really?

Chelsea's Home form:

Played 18, Won 17, Drew 1, Lost 0.

As for the away stats.

Would the things in bold not contradict yourself?

Just to compare it again to Chelsea or even United

Chelsea
    Played 17, Won 11, Drew 3, Lost 3.
    United:
    Played 18, Won 12, Drew 3, Lost 3

Liverpool are behind because of their away form. That's a lot harder to fix than home form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Could happen I suppose. They're certainly pretty consistent these days. Which reminds, didn't they have a bad first 10games this season? Otherwise they might have been a lot closer to chelsea this time round than 15pts or whatever it is atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd say Villa are in with a great chance.
    Once they get bought out during the course of the Summer-it's possible that they will have a massive injection of cash for new players-at least 500 million.
    I can see all the big players going there over the summer and big Phil Scolari taking them over after he wins the WC with Portugal.
    Its possible that Ronaldinho will go there to follow big Phil, thus raising the profile of the team.
    All things going well, they will probably manage to get Henry, Rooney(who should be available after injury), Nesta, Lampard and possibly Peter Crouch(who will have done wonders for his price tag having ended up WC top scorer despite England crashing out in the Semi Finals.
    Henry and Ronaldinho will be deployed as wingers.
    They would be in with a shout if that happens.
    More likely than ye think!
    Kippy

PS-I still think its too early for speculation regarding next years winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

will be Chelsea. They've the best squad and the best manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Well if they get get a top class goalscorer (shev is being mentioned again, hopefully just speculation) to accompany Ballack and left back to allow gallas to play CB (ashley cole's buy out clause is 16ml apparently, thats pittance to them), then its more than probably that they will be.

If the other contenders (Arsenal, Liverpool and United) can sort out the holes in their teams however and get lucky with injuries its well possible that they could win it too. The gap closed a bit this year (at least as far as pool are concerned) which is a good sign, the fact mourinhio isn't enjoying himself might help a bit too :p
    All this means **** all til it happens though, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd say
    Favourites - Chelski
    Close contenders - United + Pool
    Outside chance (if they can sort out horrible inconsistancy) - Arsenal

Definate winners - (in accordance to kippy + david o leary becomes england manager) - Aston Villa

• Advertisement
Advertisement