Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon X850 fan/Heatsink replacement

Options
  • 28-04-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have an ATI Radeon X850 Xt installed and she's a great card.

rev-x850xtplat-boardLG.jpg

The only problem is, the fan is too big and is covering a PCI slot which i need to install a TV tuner card. As you can see from the pic, the cards front panel takes up 2 slots!!
    I'm looking for a suitable replacement heatsink/fan cooling system, looking on Komplett i found this one..
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306458&view=detailed
    But i cant tell from the pic if this is also too big or if it will cool the card sufficiently!!
    Any recommendations or advice???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That Zalman one is a dual slot cooler its doesn't go all the way but enough to block any PCI card on top of that you'd have to attach the over head fan to cool it with such a GPU like the X850.

I dont know of a single slot cooler that will be sufficient to do the job, you should consider an external USB tuner if your expansion slots are blocked.

The closest is the Zalman VF900-Cu but as you can see here it still sticks out enough into the next slot that it might obstruct a card maybe a low profile run might fit I'm not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Do you know if the heatsink /fan from X800 would work ok on the X850, i could get my hands on one of those i think..

card1.jpg

Would it be worth the risk??? I've already bought the PCI tuner by the way, otherwise the USB tuner would be the way to go!

The X800 cooler would unlikely work unless you underclocked the X850 so it doesnt output as much heat.

Hows about the X800 cooler plus extra fans??

It's a possibility but hard to give any definitive answer on, just what sort of system is this card in, a SFF ?

• Advertisement

No actually it's in a monstrous dell precision workstation 650. Loads of room except that 1 PCI slot is being blocked. I may have to go down the road of sellin the TV card and gettin a USB. Don't think i'll risk changing the fan now and burning out the X850.

Advertisement