Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Limerick to Dub avoiding motorways

Options
  • 28-04-2006 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Sorry if its the wrong place but people here seem to know about roads, directions etc... Im goin to be travelling from Limerick to Dublin soon on L plates so will be avoiding the motorway. So far I've worked out that I can travel as far as the first turn off to portloais (turns into motorway here) then from portloais go to monisterevin then on to kildare town. My question is where do I go from here? would I be right thinking Newbridge and then Naas? Need to get on to the naas road cos im turning off to Citywest. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Arathorn wrote:
    Sorry if its the wrong place but people here seem to know about roads, directions etc... Im goin to be travelling from Limerick to Dublin soon on L plates so will be avoiding the motorway. So far I've worked out that I can travel as far as the first turn off to portloais (turns into motorway here) then from portloais go to monisterevin then on to kildare town. My question is where do I go from here? would I be right thinking Newbridge and then Naas? Need to get on to the naas road cos im turning off to Citywest. Any advice appreciated.

Yep, you can drive from kildare town to newbridge alongside the motorway, at the Curragh Racecourse.
    Then go through Newbridge town, straight all the way, over the bridge, onto the dual carriageway. Keep straight till you come to naas town.
    You'll hit a T junction, go left.
    Through Naas town, and keep right at the bottom of the town where the road splits into a Y junction at the Permanent TSB.
    Then straight to the Naas road flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Thats great, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Arathorn,
    I was going to post more detailed instructions but try using the route planner on aa roadwatch(and tick the checkbox to avoid tolls)

I tried that the results it gives are terrible directions i think especially from limerick to portloais. Tells u go to leixleip maynooth? dont need to go there i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's refreshing to see someone actually adhering to the motorway regulations for once. Fair play to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bond-007 wrote:
    It's refreshing to see someone actually adhering to the motorway regulations for once. Fair play to you.
    All well and good, but should a learner be making a journey that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Victor wrote:
    All well and good, but should a learner be making a journey that long?
    Why not? OP never said they were not going to have a full licence driver with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Then why can't the full licence driver do the motorway section(s)?

Is driving 200km in one go a suitable experience for a novice driver?

Victor wrote:

The full licence driver might not be insured to drive OP's car. Anyway been the country we live in a driver with a provisional licence might not be that inexperienced and probably has their licence for years.... don't most of them :eek:

I've been driving for 4 months taken a load of lesons my dad will be in the car with me and im not breaking any laws, so screw u!

• Advertisement

Arathorn wrote:
    I've been driving for 4 months taken a load of lesons my dad will be in the car with me and im not breaking any laws, so screw u!
    Screw who? me? I was sticking up for you when others are saying you shouldn't be driving a long distance in one go

No sorry not you I meant screw that victor guy, I know u were stickin up for me and thanks!

Arathorn wrote:
    No sorry not you I meant screw that victor guy, I know u were stickin up for me and thanks!
    No problem I just wasn't sure who you meant :D Safe journey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Victor wrote:

The Learner Driver won't Learn much if he/she sits back and lets someone else do the driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

prospect wrote:
    The Learner Driver won't Learn much if he/she sits back and lets someone else do the driving.

Yeah i agree here,

I made it up fine anyway without too much trouble just a few wrong turns. My honest opinion though is I would have been safer on the motorway and at least then more experienced drivers could easily overtake me. Got stuck behind a caravan at one stretch and didnt want to take any risks overtaking it, this made it harder for cars behind me to get past. Also there was no hard shoulder on a good stretch of those old roads dont see how this is safer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Arathorn wrote:
    I made it up fine anyway without too much trouble just a few wrong turns. My honest opinion though is I would have been safer on the motorway and at least then more experienced drivers could easily overtake me. Got stuck behind a caravan at one stretch and didnt want to take any risks overtaking it, this made it harder for cars behind me to get past. Also there was no hard shoulder on a good stretch of those old roads dont see how this is safer.

I know what you are saying and fair play to you for taking the 'back roads' but in situations like this your best bet is to increase your distance from the caravan. This way drivers will try and pass you and then target the caravan. if you are close enough to the caravan some drivers may consider overtaking both increasing a risk to yourself.

Advertisement