Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 - Fact or fiction?

Options
  • 28-04-2006 12:45pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm just looking for some feedback from any Net1 customers/wannabe customers as to the quality of sales support.

We're on the Government broadband scheme here in Butlersbridge, Co. Cavan. Before Christmas we were told that we should be live by November. As Christmas came and went we were told "a few weeks". On March 21st our local GBS rep contacted the company and was told that they'd be starting work on our base station in 4 weeks. This has also come and gone.

Net1 have now stopped answering the phones or the questions posed by many displeased, would be, customers on their own "support" forum, here:

http://www.net1.org.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=5

I know from that board that many other people are in the same boat as us, but noone seems to know what we can do to force answers out of Net1.

Have they just dropped off the face of the planet with the government grant?

Any suggestions/feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bernard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

I can assure you that we are still around and still tring to get our signal to you. As you well know, we should have been live in your area by mid February, however due to continuous vandalism at our link through site at Lough and Lae mountain between Baileboro and Kingscourt, this has not been possible. To date over €10,000 damage has been done to this site - including irrepairable damage to point to point links (photos attached of latest incident) - making it IMPOSSIBLE for us to continue on schedule. We will however continue in our attempts, on Bank Holiday Monday we will be installing several security cameras in a bid to get things moving.
    I would also like to answer the earlier poster who mentioned a local housing development in Cavan not hearing from Net1. We had given the developer a quotation for a magnet like cable system, capable of 24Mb/s broadband and digital TV. We have not yet been given any details on whether our quotation was successful, however from your posting, the developer must have went for a cheaper 1/2 meg wireless solution from the other operator.

Regards[IMG][/img]image2.jpg

image1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some parts of Cavan are pretty evidently a large pothole on the digital highway. They will probably elect a Fibre candidate in the next election to get the hinternet working properly in Cavan and wonder why nobody pays any heed to him up in Dublin :p

And if anywhere in Ireland needs wireless above all other technology its Cavan. Do the local knuckle draggers think they will ever get anything better from eircom or would they rather stick to what they are good at such as slurry production and cock fighting ????

Boyz oh Boyz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Drumlins nearly everywhere and wireless broadband do not match: specifically the area where that transmitter is planned and further towards Bailieborough. You would need a lot of transmitters to cover every valley in Co. Cavan.

Are there local protestors who are unhappy with the location of the transmitter?

That is a main switch site for Kilnaleck, Moynalty, Kilberry, Carlanstown, Ballyhaise, Ballyjamesduff and Belturbet.

We are fed up of taking abuse on this board - let the full facts be seen for the delays

On another note with 16 base stations around Emyvale, we are quite aware of the effects of Drumlins !!

• Advertisement

16!!:eek: There must be some GBS money tied up in that. The cost of 16 base stations would be a lot for one small company to absorb.

Is there any particular and definite reason for the vandalism?

Drumlins nearly everywhere and wireless broadband do not match: specifically the area where that transmitter is planned and further towards Bailieborough. You would need a lot of transmitters to cover every valley in Co. Cavan.

I know, Cavan is a bitch for terrain .

However the state of the landlines in Cavan is such that an alternative system will be needed and it will have to be wireless .

By the same geographical logic more masts ...at lower power per mast ....will be needed to provide decent mobile coverage because they only cover small areas .

Nobody invests where communications are primitive like when did anyone set up a new factory in Cavan in recent memory ???? alternatively alternatively Cavan people could move to flat places but with jobs in them.

A 'quorum' of wireless and mobile operators, not just Net1, should approach the Anglo Celt and bate some reality into their thick skulls up there. These knuckledraggers need leadership .

The state of the landlines, from the parts I know, are, strangely enough, better than other parts of the county. There are loading coils present on some of them but by and large pairgain usage isn't excessive. For example, Shercock has far better visible wiring then the adjoining area of Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.

By the sounds of it, many transmitters won't be welcome in many parts, given what has happened to the existing transmitter site.

Emyvale was not GBS funded

By the sounds of it, many transmitters won't be welcome in many parts, given what has happened to the existing transmitter site.

This sort of crap is contagious as we know from Donegal

Donegal has a 'tradition' of opposing modern telecoms, They elected Gildea in 1997 to keep deflectors alive.

Since Donegal elected Gildea in 1997 this is what happened as our blueshirt friends explained :p
    · At 17%, the unemployment rate in Donegal is more than four times higher than the national average.
    · According to the Combat Poverty Agency, Donegal has the highest poverty rate in the country, one that is 90% above the national average.
    · One can justifiably say that since 1997 total jobs losses in Donegal must be verging on the astronomical total of 9,000 to 10,000.

Quite simply the investment in communications required by modern business did not happen in Donegal since 1997 ....which is when Gildea was elected.

Therefore, unlike other places where jobs were also lost the jobs were not created to replace them.

Cavan , if the gob****es are allowed to rule the roost, is gonna be the next Donegal because nobody will bother putting the systems in for them to create the jobs of the future if the systems are destroyed.

I'm very inclined to be Darwinian I must say !!!! As for Butlerbridge they are ultra ultra deep dark Cavan and wil need all the luck they can get. They should club together to buy Phil Nolan a little lakeside cottage, is he into fishing one wonders ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Net1 wrote:
    We are fed up of taking abuse on this board
    This is not abuse. This forum is hosted under "activism" and here I am - taking "action". It seems the only place anyone can get a response from your company is when we bring problems to a wider audience on boards.ie

I've been asking the same question on your "support forum" continuously over the last few months - "Have you any idea when we'll be getting a connection in Butlersbridge?" and not once have I been given the explanation from above.

I don't like it when push comes to shove, but this is a last resort.

Net1 wrote:
    Emyvale was not GBS funded
    Fair play to Net1. Keep up that hard work. At least you can say you tried providing a costly service to them. Some parts of rural Ireland will have to learn their lesson the hard way... SB makes an interesting point. I will add that Letterkenny is a thriving town and it has Smart broadband, before many larger towns.

I will add that Letterkenny is a thriving town and it has Smart broadband, before many larger towns.

Gildea was not the local TD . Letterkenny is in east Donegal. Nevertheless his legacy is utterly malign. Get the 'quorum' onto the Anglo Celt and educate the ****s.

Louth has 2 local ISPs , an absolutely unique situation in rural Ireland may I add . You yourself TBC have commented approvingly on the fact that eircom has responded to this by DSL enabling every single exchange except one in Louth, another unique situation in rural Ireland as well but a virtous one and well done Louth. Go sell that one coz its an easy sell .

Do you not see the linkage?? If there is last mile competition eircom pull their fingers out if not then no.

Cavan , on the other hand can be best described as a vicious circle comprising of neither and **** all. :( . I am still tending toward the darwinian here because I know in my heart they will never have a local ISP.

Dregin, in view of those photos you should ask your countymen (things) what the **** they are at mate.

For fear of being "quoted" in a month, here is the general synopsis:

Butlersbridge - Sites agreed, waiting on secure link site to be further secured

Ballyhaise - As above

Kilnaleck - As above

Carlanstown - Live by alternative route this coming Wednesday

Kiliskeer / Clonmellon- Will be fed off Carlanstown just to get it live one week later

Termonfeckin - Live, but stolen by the "rat" before official launch - most of the lined up customers have went with "rat" sooner than wait for wireless installations

Clogherhead - Live (pending Launch) - working through installations (approx 5 per week)

Reaghstown / Aclint - Live

Tinure - Live

Walshstown / Grangebellew - Site agreement finally reached - Base station live on May 12th

Slane - Fully live and launched, approx 10 outstanding installs

Donore (Non GBS) - Live

Tullyalen (Non GBS) - Live

Cooley / Riverstown (Non GBS) - Live

Emyvale, Tydavnet, Castleroe, Drumcondra, Moybridge, Aughnacloy, Augher, Clougher (Non GBS) - Fully live

Corcaghan - Nearing completion (live in 10 days)

Lough Egish / Swan's Cross - (Non GBS) Live in 2 weeks

Kilcurry, Faughart, Hackballscross + Urban Dundalk- Fully Live - testing new 6Mb burst product

Ravensdale Upgrade to 5GHz equipment- Scheduled for early June

Stamullen (urban) upgrade to 5GHz equipment- Scheduled for mid June

Bettystown / Laytown Upgrade to 5GHz equipment - July

Net1 are 6 dedicated people, not a large corporate, with the above schedule plus existing customer installations its not hard to see why we can get a bit behind on answering emails or indeed our own bulletin board - I would be a fool to say that we can immediatly correct this problem, but rest assured after the network is complete this WILL be different and a little more normal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Net1 wrote:

Butlersbridge - Sites agreed, waiting on secure link site to be further ..............

Net1 are 6 dedicated people, not a large corporate, with the above schedule plus existing customer installations its not hard to see why we can get a bit behind on answering emails or indeed our own bulletin board - I would be a fool to say that we can immediatly correct this problem, but rest assured after the network is complete this WILL be different and a little more normal

As I have pointed out in previous posts about your company you have to commnicate with customers or would be customers - if you are six people that is your issue and the way you choose to operate is your business but stop feeling sorry for yourselves because customers are not interested in that - they want solid information on when they will get their broadband and if people are told what to expect most will go with that.

Unanswered phones (which is something that cannot be put down to vandalism) and broken promises and a 'how dare they criticise us'' attitude is a recipe for disaster.

After all you are not doing peole a favour they are paying a considerable amount of money or waiting to pay a considerable amount to you for your product.

And as I have also posted before your product seems to be fine (friends of mine have it on Louth) its the getting of it thats the problem.

Get these customers to email "support@net1.ie" - Priority is currently being given to EXISTING CONTRACTS WHICH HAVE BEEN FILLED IN
    New enquiries are regretably at the bottom of the list for the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

What about KILBERRY?

SB, I'm aware that Letterkenny is McDaid's area (or was). The example adds to your point, I thought. We are lucky in Louth to have this situation. I have seen still more Digiweb antennae go up in the area in the last 3 weeks. Net1 have their work cut out for them. I would say that Digiweb are the greater threat at the moment in much of Louth.

I made a mistake, there is also an exchange in the county (Hackballscross) which has not been enabled. That makes it two proper exchanges not enabled in Louth, discounting all the small sub-exchanges/fibre cabinets.

I feel sorry for Net1. Eircom enabled the Termonfeckin exchange only a few weeks ago, though I am told this was more on the whim of an eircom employee (an important one) rather than the commercial threat on Net1, which, to be honest, isn't very significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 slowsnail

I live in the Clonmellon area when do you think this will go live... I realise the date above must have changed.

Cheers

slowsnail wrote:
    the date above must have changed.
    Learn to get used to that.... Last I heard we were to have it last week and that came and went without anything happening :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

SB - Donegal's lack of jobs can be laid at the hands of the department of the marine. South donegal relied a huge amount on Killybegs but with quotas decimated and no political allies the fishing industry is in dire straits. no money in killybegs means no money spent around the rest of the county which has effected Ballyboffey and Letterkenny

One for the Anoraks -- 80.249.240.195

Any word on Butlersbridge? I heard the ball was rolling a while ago but nothing since....

Hey. For anyone who's interested, the Net1 support forum is back...
    http://www.net1.org.uk/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 slowsnail

Hi,
    I have tried repeatedly to get service from net1 and like yourself am part of the group scheme in Clonmellon / Crossakiel area. We have been waiting a similar time to get support.

I have contacted them repeatedly to no avail. I tried to get Meath Co Council to do something to no avail.

So now I have contacted the Minister with responsibility for such schemes he is contactable at the following address. Thank god he is one of the effective guys.

Minister.Dempsey@dcmnr.gov.ie

Regards.

Still slowsnail.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

So now I have contacted the Minister with responsibility for such schemes he is contactable at the following address. Thank god he is one of the effective guys.

Regards.

err right so. :confused:

let us know how that goes then will you? :rolleyes:

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Net1 wrote: »

Butlersbridge - Sites agreed, waiting on secure link site to be further secured

Ballyhaise - As above

Kilnaleck - As above

Carlanstown - Live by alternative route this coming Wednesday

Kiliskeer / Clonmellon- Will be fed off Carlanstown just to get it live one week later

Termonfeckin - Live, but stolen by the "rat" before official launch - most of the lined up customers have went with "rat" sooner than wait for wireless installations

Clogherhead - Live (pending Launch) - working through installations (approx 5 per week)

Reaghstown / Aclint - Live

Tinure - Live

Walshstown / Grangebellew - Site agreement finally reached - Base station live on May 12th

Slane - Fully live and launched, approx 10 outstanding installs

Donore (Non GBS) - Live

Tullyalen (Non GBS) - Live

Cooley / Riverstown (Non GBS) - Live

Emyvale, Tydavnet, Castleroe, Drumcondra, Moybridge, Aughnacloy, Augher, Clougher (Non GBS) - Fully live

Corcaghan - Nearing completion (live in 10 days)

Lough Egish / Swan's Cross - (Non GBS) Live in 2 weeks

Kilcurry, Faughart, Hackballscross + Urban Dundalk- Fully Live - testing new 6Mb burst product

Ravensdale Upgrade to 5GHz equipment- Scheduled for early June

Stamullen (urban) upgrade to 5GHz equipment- Scheduled for mid June

Bettystown / Laytown Upgrade to 5GHz equipment - July

hi net1 can you tell me what the latest is in coverage around the Drogheda south area, where are base stations in the area located?

also in relation to your 6mb product, are there any restrictions / throttling in place? also in relation to the antenna that you install on the chimney, is there any way that a user can connect to it, to check signal strength?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

slowsnail wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thank god he is one of the effective guys.

Regards.

Still slowsnail.

:D:rolleyes:

Hi All - Attached is a KMZ of Net1 Coverage for use in Google Earth = Remember this does NOT take account of Trees or Buildings, and considering Net1 have never targeted Drogheda town, Take this coverage with a pinch of salt.

All Tarriffs are unlimited max avalable speed except for Home Lite - which is capped at a MAX of 3Meg.http://www.net1.ie/downloads/Net1.kmz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Thanks for the update Net1.

Anything more recent (than 4 years ago) can be discussed in a new thread. ingen, no need to drag up a thread that old for something you could have contact them about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement