Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men Who Wear Rings?

• 28-04-2006 12:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Is it ok for a guy to wear a (non wedding) ring or is it something that is more suited to homosexuals? e.g. my mate wears a cool looking thumb ring but hes not gay. Some of our friends reckon only gay men wear rings on their thumbs. Does that mean im gay cos i think it looks good?

What u think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

permanent tsb, banking, only better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Depends if you can pull it off... looks good on some people and other people just look gay... lol i personally wouldnt wear a ring on my thumb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thumb ring urgh!
    Anyway, I wear a ring most the time. I would only wear a ring that had a special meaning to me.
    Nothing wrong with it Mr. Faceman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

What the hell is wrong with a fella wearing a ring???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It depends on what kind of rings. Nice celtic bands or just plain bands are lovely on guys but all that gold sovereign/hash plant crap is rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Kiera wrote:
    It depends on what kind of rings. Nice celtic bands or just plain bands are lovely on guys but all that gold sovereign/hash plant crap is rotten.

Seconded.
    Big gold things are awful, and just look cheap. Otherwise, I don't really notice it that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the ring does have certain sentimental value to the dude and its on of those celtic gothic designs, looks cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

I always wore a russian wedding band on my thumb, silver job...the one with 3 bands intertwined, I'm not gay but i never got any comments on it other that some liked it or didn't. Stopped wearing after i got married, I think more than one ring on a man is enough imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure you're gay, man. Sorry to be the one to break it to ye! A ring's a ring, and if you like rings you like rings. Nawmeen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

I think something like a celtic band on a guy's middle finder looks nice, i wouldnt think you were gay if you had a thumb ring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

rings are definitly gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if someone wants to wear a ring, then they should wear a ring and who cares what other people think?

personally i only wear a wedding band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Jesus as long as nobody wears those awful skanky soverign rings.
    Never trust a man who wears a soverign ring.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think silver thumb rings are nice on men tbh... Its actually quite sexy IMO :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

John Rocha ring on my middle finger.

checks

nope not gay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Men should not wear rings, unless Celtic.

xzanti wrote:
    I think silver thumb rings are nice on men tbh... Its actually quite sexy IMO :p

You've just proved that wearing rings are gay. Thanks mate:D

Dun laoire wrote:
    You've just proved that wearing rings are gay. Thanks mate:D
    Yeah Im a girl.. Mate

xzanti wrote:
    Yeah Im a girl.. Mate

Yeah i figured but i just couldnt help it Mate-ess

Dun laoire wrote:
    Yeah i figured but i just couldnt help it Mate-ess

Erm... May I ask why?

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote:
    Erm... May I ask why?

Too lazy to try explain my half arsed joke. Never mind:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sinecurea wrote:
    Men should not wear rings, unless Celtic.

celtic rings are gay.
    as are celtic design tattoos

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I wore a silver band (class ring) for the past few years. I wore it one my right hand, opposite my ring finger. A lot of people used to ask me was I married, especially because my ex wore one just like it (but smaller) on the same finger.

I don't wear it since we broke up, sort of because I don't really want people to think I'm married etc. Not that it improves my chances in the slightest bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

One wedding ring and a watch is the only jewellery a man should wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

faceman wrote:
    Does that mean im gay cos i think it looks good?
    Yeah. Most definitely.

So how are you gonna come out to your family?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

celtic rings are gay.
    as are celtic design tattoos
    Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Only ring I'd wear aside from a wedding band is a claddagh ring tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

IMO, its no gayer than a pair of diamonique pearl drop earrings with a matching snake charm bangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I've my finger in a ring right now, and I'm not gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Archeron wrote:
    IMO, its no gayer than a pair of diamonique pearl drop earrings with a matching snake charm bangle.

Anyone can look fetching with that. Male, female or indifferent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to have a really nice Astro Boy ring.... but I lost it many years ago.

I don't really like to wear rings... I hate the feeling of being constricted... if I ever got married I certainly wouldn't go around wearing the ring.

I don't wear wrist watches for the same reason. I use a pocket watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 icarus1

ferdi wrote:
    rings are definitly gay.
    today's gay is tommorrow's mainstream. deal with it and.... don't let anyone tell ye that the male is less prone to self adornment than the female. It aint true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I think spectacles look gay so i wear a monocle.

icarus1 wrote:
    today's gay is tommorrow's mainstream. deal with it and.... don't let anyone tell ye that the male is less prone to self adornment than the female. It aint true.
    You go girl.

I'd 'go girl' if i was a girl..... In fact, that's an idea. Let's just say i am (for the sake of arguement). So... what else ye got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Degsy wrote:
    I think spectacles look gay so i wear a monocle.

i think monocles are gay, so I use a telescope. I then also get to pretend I'm a pirate (one of the ear-ring free ones)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I used to have a really nice Astro Boy ring.... but I lost it many years ago.

I don't really like to wear rings... I hate the feeling of being constricted... if I ever got married I certainly wouldn't go around wearing the ring.

I don't wear wrist watches for the same reason. I use a pocket watch.
    Thats why you will never be married my friend... :)

icarus1 wrote:
    I'd 'go girl' if i was a girl..... In fact, that's an idea. Let's just say i am (for the sake of arguement). So... what else ye got?
    Sorry, I'm not sure if I have this right in my head. You want me to flame you?

I was just making a passing comment that I thought what you said was a little self-righteous. No biggy.

Anyway, I don't think anyone should have to wear a ring, it's purely the persons own choice. I'd just imagine that not wearing a wedding ring might cause a bit of consternation in the marital chambers.

The wearing of a ring or not, as well as a decoration, is also a social declaration of status. In short, if ye wanna be chatted up by some sleezeball in a pub you leave the ring at home, if ye don't, ye wear it, but please, PLEASE, don't wear it in yer nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its ok as long you are NOT wearing these, am not a fan of thumb rings, look ridiculous imo. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Thats why you will never be married my friend... :)
    You just watch too many Hollywood films... in real life men don't wear wedding rings unless they're total suckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

absolutely raging steamer i would wager

faceman wrote:
    Does that mean im gay cos i think it looks good?

What u think?

Archeron wrote:
    i think monocles are gay, so I use a telescope. I then also get to pretend I'm a pirate (one of the ear-ring free ones)

Telescopes are gay.So are pirates.

stovelid wrote:
    absolutely raging steamer i would wager

Gay for sure..an utter shirt-lifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Rings: meh

They can look a bit hippy-ish (those "symbolic" ones) or chavvy (sovereigns etc).

But a good quality, plain gold or platinum ring could be nice.

Imhoe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Addendum: wiki article on sovereigns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_ring

Thought the link to Argos was funny! If cheekeh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Zulu wrote:
    I've my finger in a ring right now, and I'm not gay.

Depends on who's ring your finger is in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

simu wrote:
    Rings: meh

They can look a bit hippy-ish (those "symbolic" ones) or chavvy (sovereigns etc).

But a good quality, plain gold or platinum ring could be nice.

Imhoe!
    Oi Nesf, hope you got the hint ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

BendiBus wrote:
    Depends on who's ring your finger is in :p

:p:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kiera wrote:
    Oi Nesf, hope you got the hint ;)
    He should really lose all that bling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement