Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sport is too extreme?

Options
  • 28-04-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

What sport would you not do and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭pants on fire

I love extreme crap, but I definately wouldnt do anything that is so extreme that theres a fairly high chance of serious injury or death!! Like scaling cliffs with no safety gear etc.
    Just dont think its worth the risk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Foot skating, ITS INSANE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Extreme skiing. Skiing down slopes that sane guys climb up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Extreme ironing ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I would have said cave diving, but that because around here its pretty grotty and miserable. With the right training and in Florida or some nice roomy warm spot it would be fun.
    How about ocean going yacht racing? It is the most dangerious sport I know of and I really need 8 hours sleep a day( and about the same each night).
    David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Anything involving a ball, a sail, a team or the wearing of lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

Louge or something, you know the one where you have to slide down a hill lying down on a skateboard? I really want to do it though.

There is street Luge which seems to be mainly American. That looks really cool. For the same type of thing the Skull where you go down a slalom course on a tea tray looks seriously scary.
    Most of these sorts of speed things are rational fears though. I takes me awhile to get used to heights, i would put that as a fairly irrational fear. Claustropobia or aquaphobia are similalrly a bit irrational.
    Any sports you would not do due to irrational fears?

what, you mean like climb a tree? i couldn't do that! i could go to the top of the empire state bilding but not climb a really tall tree (unless i've climbed it a few times and am use to it)
    that's irrational for ya

not climb a really tall tree (unless i've climbed it a few times and am use to it)
    You would not climb it unless you've climbed it a few times? Are you oxymoronic even when your not?

• Advertisement

cavedave wrote:
    You would not climb it unless you've climbed it a few times? Are you oxymoronic even when your not?

I used to climb all the time so i would be used to it by now.
    Or if i'm in a REALLY hyper mood i'd do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Either Street/Land Luge, or maybe Speedboard (about 40mph downhill, standing up on the skateboard).

Saying that, you'd be able to go Dirtsurfing in Ireland, as the roads here wouldn't be any good for Speedboarding (not smooth enough, too many potholes, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Not true, redbull ran a downhill skateboard race in Howth a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Base Jumping. I do skydiving, but the thought of not having a chance for a second shoot is just too much.... WHEN BASE JUMPING GOES WRONG. Not nice, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Base Jumping. I do skydiving, but the thought of not having a chance for a second shoot is just too much.... WHEN BASE JUMPING GOES WRONG. Not nice, believe me.

Yeah - seconded. Base jumping - videos are great to look at (here) , but I wouldn't have the balls to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

How about road biking in the North and the Isle of Mann?
    I realise motor bike racing is not generally considered an extreme sport but the mortality rate is sooooo high you'd have to be crazy to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

After watching this im gonna have to say base jumping :o , how the hell did this guy survive?

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1149075296/Horrible_Base_Jumping_Accident_from_First_Person_View

That is terrifying. In fairness the guy survived though. How dangerous statistically is base jumping? Ocean going yacht racing is the most dangerous sport according to statistics I have seen.

Advertisement