Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mixing ram on athlon64

Options
  • 28-04-2006 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have an athlon 64 3200 socket 754 and 2 pieces of 512mb pc3200 ram.
    Is it possible to buy a different brand of pc3200 memory to add to it so I can add 2 more sticks of 512mb ram brinigng it up to 2gb?, I don't intend to overclock, the amount of memory is more important to me than a speed bumped processor. I know some motherboards used to let you mix different brands of the same memory but am not sure of pc3200.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the answer is... depends :)

Afaik, most socket 754 boards have 3 memory slots anyway. You'd be better off buying one 1 gig stick of good quality memory (corsair for example). At worst, it will work by itself, and you can get another to match it (sell the old sticks), and at best all three will work together in harmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tengu

Excellent stuff, I'll check out overclockers and komplett and see what I can get the corsair memory for.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

if your mobo has 4 slots then it should work running 2 sticks of 1 brand and 2 sticks of another, but it may not... you will just have to test it. It should though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭tom thumb

how do you know if your ram is working to its full potential

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you haven't roared at your monitor in 8 days of solid use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭tom thumb

right

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Isn't there some issue with A64's and memory, if you're using 3 slots or have a mix of 512 and 1gb sticks it'll drop to 2T and DDR333 speeds ?

Advertisement