Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

link road

Options
  • 28-04-2006 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey there! any sign of that new link road to the N11 being built??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Decks wrote:
    Hey there! any sign of that new link road to the N11 being built??

It is built!!!!!

From what i've been told, it was finished "ahead" of shedule so the government/council can't do anything until it's origonal opening date.
    July was mentioned to me

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

:D officially after Easter I believe! Definitely ready - great for walks and fab view!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wifey

I heard June, Cant wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I would assume you are talking about the new road to at Eden Gate to the N11? There is another thread regarding this.

On the other hand, I can't wait for it to open :D , driving thru Delgany in the morning is a royal pain in the a**e!!

It's a pain for the residents as well, have friends down there & getting out of their driveway is bloody dangerous!
    Not to mention getting stuck behind a bus or truck stuck on thae corner oppisite the wicklow Arms, when you are late for work!- Maybe if we ask nicely they will open it early?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Since the bridge isn't built yet I presume it'll only be useful in the evening, coming home, you won't be able to get to the other side of the N11 from the new road. Unless of course you go south and turn off at Newtown and then come back. I imagine it'll be a long wait for the bridge. So we'll all have to go through Delgany in the morning for the foreseeable future....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Anyone fancy a bet?, I reckon going along the new road and then underpassing the N11 will be a better than going thru Delgany. Also the road will be much better, the road past Delgany Golf Club is a nightmare. I have been told the new road will be open on May 22nd.

For me it takes 7 1/2 minutes to go the long way round, and 5 through Delgany!!:D That's as long as you don't get stuck behind some big stupid truck!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Or a bus and a truck approaching in the opposite direction:rolleyes:

" Until tomorrow approx, the southbound inside lane of the N11 at Kilpedder closes between 7am to 2pm. This is to facilitate the linking of the Greystones Southern Access with the N11."

From the AA Traffic- Getting there!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

According to the Wicklow County Council the official opening date is the 9th June. Apparantly there will be a temporary interchange onto the N11 (I've no idea if theres Northbound access). There is a plan for the permanent interchange and this will take approx 3 years to complete!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no northbound access afaik

you have to go up to the Glenview interchange and turn around (same as now).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Yeah, just headed up there tonight to have a look - exiting Greystones you have to head South, then take the Newtownmount Kennedy underpass to head North - bit of a pain! Should make it easier heading to Charlesland from the N11 though.

Yippee, the road is now open. Took it this morning and went up to the newtown exit to turn back around. It takes pretty much the same time as going through Delgany...

Looking forward to going home though! Should save me about 4 minutes I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

How exactly do you get to the road? Is it where you take a right at the roundabout at Charlesland (away from the town) and straight through the next two roundabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Spot on Eoin....

Where do you join that road from the N11, southbound? Is it signposted?

Travelling southbound you pass the Greystones/Delgany exit, then another small exit for Delgany, and the next one is the new road. I presume it's signposted. If you get to the Kilquade exit you've gone too far!:)

YAY, cant wait to use it i'm so sad, I love new roads, and if it makes life 10% easier even better. I was the same about the road going up by Jackie skellys, cause I have friends inNewcastle & I was so excited So were they actually,and considering the chat on this thread I am obivously not that sad! Yay Again!!!

The road up by Jackie Skelly leads to Newcastle? I thought it just went up to the gym and stopped. I'll have to go explore this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

wingding wrote:
    Travelling southbound you pass the Greystones/Delgany exit, then another small exit for Delgany, and the next one is the new road. I presume it's signposted. If you get to the Kilquade exit you've gone too far!:)

Great give it ago this evening. Hopefully dont end up visiting Kilquade !!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Took the 2nd Exit after the "Delgany / Greystones" one this evening, and a lovely straight road all the way down to the Charlesland roundabout. May not be much quicker, but a less hairy drive than through Delgany. Looking forward to whenever we can go Northbound from there.

It's pretty well sign-posted, so easy to see.

I took it too... 4mins 50 secs while staying on the limits. Only a few seconds quicker than Delgany (on a good day), but nice open road is great. No worrying about trucks/busses/muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

I tried it myself last evening. Way better than rumbling through Delgany. If it wasn't for this forum it would have been ages till i discovered the exit as i wouldn't normally travel past the Delgany/Greystones exit. Thanks guys!

Drove through Delgany this morning and was slightly held up by a couple of big trucks at the bottleneck between the school and the Wicklow Arms.

I'm wondering if they can now put signage up on the N11 to direct HGVs to the new road rather than the Delgany exit. Perhaps impose a weight limit on the road with the exception of deliveries to Delgany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

I usually take the scenic route (turn off before delgany - where you pass woodies etc) when I am going to greystones but yesterday when I was going out I decided to go the delgany route for a change - never again - every second person I came up against was an inconsiderate road hogger in a giant truck and at that turn just after the wicklow arms i came head to head with the biggest truck ever containing the meanest fecker who was gesticulating in a most RUDE way!! :eek: I was so not backing off and we had a total stand off - eventually he moved and i nipped around him but he was
    1- super rude
    2- driving way too fast on that narrow road
    3- Really inconsiderate to the poor L driver behind me too

Can't wait to try out the new road!! :)

SJ, I Feel your pain. I actually had serious words with one of those truck drivers one morning on Priory road when supposedly the road was closed to HGV's. There was a big string of traffic and he actually made us all reverse halfway down the road so he could get through. :eek: I was in a bad mood for the rest of the day! And I thought it'd be peaceful tranquility when I moved to Greystones!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I took the new road home last night it was bliss - no trucks actually no cars at all, just a lovely new straight road all to myself. It would be heaven if we could get out that way to..........ah well only 3+ years to wait :) As for those truck drivers, dont start me.....:confused: league of their own

At least they're not Taxi Drivers!!!!

Otherwise they wouldn't just be hogging the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LMC wrote:
    I took the new road home last night it was bliss - no trucks actually no cars at all, just a lovely new straight road all to myself. It would be heaven if we could get out that way to..........ah well only 3+ years to wait :)

probably less than 2 in reality - bridge is due to start construction over the summer with completion early 2008. These things tend to run ahead of schedule as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its a grand road pity theres no Northbound Flyover:rolleyes:

Advertisement