Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink Fan direction

Options
  • 28-04-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering which direction should the airflow be on my xeon heatsinks?

the default is pushing air down on the copper heatsink but temps are pretty high and the air doesnt seem to go anywhere

the reason i ask is that i will have to drill the fans if i want to have them pusing the air away from the heatsink as they are recessed on one side so i dont want to if i dont need to

any suggestions here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

rack or tower?

Buy new HSFs if possible. That's assuming, of course, that you've experimented with replacing the TIM (goop) and using more powerful fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

SyxPak wrote:
    rack or tower?

Buy new HSFs if possible. That's assuming, of course, that you've experimented with replacing the TIM (goop) and using more powerful fans.

its a tower

these are thermaltake coppers hsfs.good hsfs and i used artic silver. should i reverse the fans or not?

these are powerful fans and noisey, but will be getting different ones (they are 70mm :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

AFAIK the stock intel fans supplied with Xeons are supposed to be installed so that the air is drawn up through the heatsink, basically the opposite way of normal heatsinks which blow air onto the heatsink. Not sure about the thermaltake ones, give it a try see if theres any difference.

Optikus wrote:
    AFAIK the stock intel fans supplied with Xeons are supposed to be installed so that the air is drawn up through the heatsink, basically the opposite way of normal heatsinks which blow air onto the heatsink. Not sure about the thermaltake ones, give it a try see if theres any difference.

yeh i suppose il have to try it

it would make sense "pulling" the air from the heatsink and then straight out the exhaust fan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How's your cabling and airflow?

SCSI disks will obviously run hotter and dump more heat into the case.

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    How's your cabling and airflow?

SCSI disks will obviously run hotter and dump more heat into the case.

well there are 7 hdds in total mostly sata but 2x120mm intake and 1x120mm and 3x80mm exhaust
    cabling is all rounded and neat enough

Advertisement