Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Licence

Options
  • 28-04-2006 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Sorry is this is the wrong forum - let me know and I will re-direct.

What happens if you let your driving licence lapse? Do you have to re-sit your test? A friends license expired last August?? Anyone know what's what!

Thanks
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

datk wrote:
    Sorry is this is the wrong forum - let me know and I will re-direct.

What happens if you let your driving licence lapse? Do you have to re-sit your test? A friends license expired last August?? Anyone know what's what!

Thanks
    D
    Do you mean the slip you get when you get your full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Kiera wrote:
    Do you mean the slip you get when you get your full license?
    No - an actual license - it has expired after 10 (I presume) years and she forgot to renew.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Yeah, what's the story with renewing a provisional? I got mine about 7 years ago before you had to pass a test to get it but never got around to driving at the time. I'm looking to get another provisional soon enough, does anyone know if I'll have to do that test or am I able to renew automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Probably better suited to the motors forum.

I thought you had to re-sit the test if the license is expired, but this seems to say different:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_driving_licence.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

datk wrote:
    No - an actual license - it has expired after 10 (I presume) years and she forgot to renew.

D

you can renew up to 10 years after it runs out , after that re-test...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Fill in the form for a new license. You don't need to take a new test.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

eoin_s wrote:
    Probably better suited to the motors forum.

I thought you had to re-sit the test if the license is expired, but this seems to say different:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_driving_licence.html

Thanks, she will be pleased!
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ullu wrote:
    Yeah, what's the story with renewing a provisional? I got mine about 7 years ago before you had to pass a test to get it but never got around to driving at the time. I'm looking to get another provisional soon enough, does anyone know if I'll have to do that test or am I able to renew automatically?
    It's probably lapsed. A provisional lapses after 5 years. If it is just in then renew right away or you will have to sit the theory test to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A full licence will also lapse after 5 years if not renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bond-007 wrote:

Depends on how long you get your license for. From the link I posted earlier:
    [B]Type of licence 	        Period of validity 	Cost[/B]
    Provisional driving licence 	One/Two years 	   15 euro
    Full driving licence 	          One year 	 	  5 euro
    Full driving licence 	          Three years 	 	15 euro
    Full driving licence 	          Ten years 	 	25 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

jhegarty wrote:
    you can renew up to 10 years after it runs out , after that re-test...

I heard Micheal O'Muircheartaigh saying on the radio that he had let his licence lapse beyond the time limit. He has been forced to resit tests but can't manage to pass now.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Bond-007 wrote:

A provisional is 5 years. A Full is 10 years.

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

TommyK wrote:

Tommy.

If a licence has lapsed can one be charged with "driving without a licence" or is that only applicable if the lapsed period has elapsed?

It seems absurd that there is a period of grace as it may reduce the incentive to renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Litcagral wrote:
    If a licence has lapsed can one be charged with "driving without a licence" or is that only applicable if the lapsed period has elapsed?
    Once your licence has expired, yes you can be charged with driving without a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TommyK wrote:

Tommy.
    I stand corrected
    Litcagral wrote:

Yes, you can be charged once you do not have a current licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I got a provisonal last january and it was only valid for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As pointed out above if a driver lets their license expire by 10 years it's a new test.

For provisional licenses you get a two year license if you have failed a test in the preceeding two years and a one year license if you have proof of an upcoming test. It's ironic that you can apply for a test, subsequently get a one year provisional then find that the waiting list is 12 months+. ;)

Advertisement