Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Aldi In Celbridge, over 18s only

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I was in Aldi Grange, Cork with my sister. She helped me carry alcohol, crisps, juice to counter. Polish dude asked me for id, i gave him garda and passport and he put stuff through. This bitch, my age or younger (25) comes over and says she needs to see id from my sister too cause she 'touched' the alcohol. I thought she was having me on. Ended with my sister driving home to get id and coming back with passport. We were told in front of a shop full of staring people it was GARDA ID only. With 2 passports and my garda id we were unable to purchase. Mortified to stay the least. She was on a power trip, completely irrational saying she knew we were both of age but needed 2 garda ids for us, One word BITCH

haha that is ridiculous. I take it they would not serve alcohol to anyone doing the weekly family shopping if they have a 4 year old sitting in the trolley either then?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its a grey area, but there is obviously a good reason why they are doing it. Just goes to show how a small amount of scum can ruin things for thousands! In fairness if the guards or justice system wont sort them out, fair play to them in implementing such preventative measures... im sure most people below 18 will be living at home and as such will be able to find someone over 18 to accompany them!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

Ended with my sister driving home to get id and coming back with passport.

why bother, would it not have been easier for you just to put the alcohol back that your sister touched and pick it up again yourself?

If she was been a completely pedantic about it then buy the non-alcohol stuff and ask your sister to wait with it while you go back and buy the alcohol with your id.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slayer83666

at counter, she allowed the juices (ie non alcoholic stuff) to go through and I paid for them and she put the alcohol aside. my sister told her she didn't have garda id only a passport and your one said fine, go get that. We only live down the road so my sister went, came back, handed over the passport and we thought that would be that. but no then she says garda id only. Complete joke. Spoke to a manager then, older fella in his 40s and he told us clearly again garda id only. Good luck to aldie. My sister was hilarious asking 'are you for real?' What id is more authentic than a passport like? and most people in this country do not have a garda id. Ridiculous stuff indeed

Has nobody found it strange that it's this particular Aldi, and none other, than ban under-18s. Perhaps it's a store that had a bad history of theft/underage drinking/whatever reason. I think it's a brilliant idea. If only most businesses have it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The main problem is that there is no standardised ID card in the state. But the refusal to accept state issued documents as ID is crazy.

Nice dragging up of a 2 year old thread btw.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The main problem is that there is no standardised ID card in the state. But the refusal to accept state issued documents as ID is crazy.

Nice dragging up of a 2 year old thread btw.

They did it very subtle too.

Surely the OP in question is over 18 now and wont have to worry about it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yea but is this still an issue or have they come to their senses since. Slayer seems to suggest so.

Bond: I thought it would be a legislative standard to accept an internationally recognized passport as ID or has ALDI just gone mental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I think realistically if you are under 18 you are still a child .So the 72 yr old man who was refused entry to the club was an adult thats the difference.Plus i work in a supermarket and some of the kids that come in are like animals and maybe some of the other supermarkets should do the same.I know the shopping experience would be so much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Lets just say a 18 yr old American walked in and tried to buy alcohol with an american passport..... Do you think he could?????

• Advertisement

Blarney92 wrote: »
    Lets just say a 18 yr old American walked in and tried to buy alcohol with an american passport..... Do you think he could?????

As far as I know, yes. It'd be under Irish laws, not american.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

As far as I know, yes. It'd be under Irish laws, not american.

Meant about not having a garda Id card- I should of been clearer.

Blarney92 wrote: »

y'know, I never tried. Got whiskey out of Tesco once. Cant remember if I was even carded then.

Offy never had a problem with me. And pubs have never made so much as a strange eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Slayer she does sound like she was on a power trip BUT i work in a supermarket and we have to bea really careful.Especially people on tills cause it is against the law to buy alcohol for an underage person.I know your sister wasnt but i was working one day on self scan and this girl put alcohol through and i asked her did she have id.She said no and then went to get her ma,so in the meantime supervisor comes over wants to know whats going on and we tell her.In the meantime she comes back with her ma and the supervisor still wouldnt allow the alcohol through cause it was for her and she had no i.d.Its probably a bit over the top but you cant be to careful.I knoe aldi/lidl are very strict whn it comes to i.d but do you not think thats a good thing

marti101 wrote: »
    Slayer she does sound like she was on a power trip BUT i work in a supermarket and we have to bea really careful.Especially people on tills cause it is against the law to buy alcohol for an underage person.I know your sister wasnt but i was working one day on self scan and this girl put alcohol through and i asked her did she have id.She said no and then went to get her ma,so in the meantime supervisor comes over wants to know whats going on and we tell her.In the meantime she comes back with her ma and the supervisor still wouldnt allow the alcohol through cause it was for her and she had no i.d.Its probably a bit over the top but you cant be to careful.I knoe aldi/lidl are very strict whn it comes to i.d but do you not think thats a good thing

Aldi is selling the alcohol to the mother at that point does it not become the mother's liability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Denying sale to a 25-year old with a passport is not strict, it's insane and offensive to your customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Overheal wrote: »
    Aldi is selling the alcohol to the mother at that point does it not become the mother's liability?
    I think there may be something in the legislation that retailers can't sell even to an adult if they suspect the adult is buying it for a minor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

blorg wrote: »
    I think there may be something in the legislation that retailers can't sell even to an adult if they suspect the adult is buying it for a minor.
    Correct. A licence holder can be prosecuted if they supply to an adult buying for a minor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What would kids want in Aldi ayway/Up my way all they do when they go in is cause trouble.**** em i say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Denying a sale to a person with a passport is stupid.Its the least likely to be fake and the only one that'll work worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

its a good idea, too many scumbag children running around

titan18 wrote: »
    Denying a sale to a person with a passport is stupid.Its the least likely to be fake and the only one that'll work worldwide.

most especially accepting a garda ID over a passport, is frankly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Out of curiosity is Celbridge considered a "rough" town? Have other stores had problems with young scumbags??
    I can't imagine a supermarket being over 18!! Sounds really strange, but if the town has a problem I could understand the reasons for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

magick wrote: »
    its a good idea, too many scumbag children running around

Thats not true,thats discrimation.I'm 18 and have never been in trouble in my life for anything.I dont drink and if i got refused entry into a club or when calling a drink for legally aged friends,I'd freak.

Everybody says all teenagers cause trouble which is the stereotype thats there.Saying other stereotypes would have people saying racism or sexism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

A little bit of common sense. Whatever about having a policy of Garda IDs only (it's there shop, let them lose custom if they want to) but telling someone to go home and get a passport only to have them come back with it and then tell them they won't take it?

I would have flipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Living in celbridge I can understand why aldis have done this, they dont want to turn out like the tesco down the road with a load of skangers standing in large groups outside, or acting the sh!te inside the shop.

Advertisement