Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please!

Options
  • 28-04-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Well folks, my missus is just after buying me a small goldfish aquarium.
    Here it is.

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/addinfo/elitecool.html

Anyway I have it set up with two small fella's inside and a stingray underwater filter. I'm wondering if the filter is necessary as it makes a little noise and maybe it might be disturbing the fish not to mention my tv!! If I'm going to be changing the water is it necessary at all?

Any other info/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Its my first ever pet!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Yes, a filter is necessary to help aerate and remove toxins from the water. These tanks are totally unsuitable as a longterm home for a goldfish btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

It's way to small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The filter/air pump type things are essential for goldfish. That's why people say oo mine didn't last very long it's because the water quality is poor and people sometimes keep them in bowls. Ours arrived unexpectidly in a bowl with no filter and he wasn't a happy camper to be honest he wouldn't of lasted the week in it. So we had to rush and get him a small tank with a pump and he is thriving now but we have to upgrade his tank, he's only small now but will grow.

Those Haagen tanks are too small but might do for now (if your fish are small) but you would need to get a larger one, Kilkenny Aquatics do a reasoable range of tanks for fish. Always get a pump to suit the size of tank you get it makes the world of difference.

Hope to get some live plants for my guy the plastic ones are ok but not much fun for them, he can nibble away at the live one and it helps with oxyginating (sp) the water aparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

thanks for the help fellas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement