Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internal WiFi Card

• 28-04-2006 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying one of These For my laptop,
    I have one question, where do I connect the antenna?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I really wouldnt recommend the intel wifi card, i find mine to be quite bad and others would agree. I'll be getting myself this soon, ive only read good things about this card.

As far as i know the antena wires are found in the same place your mini pci card goes. Try find a assemnly manual for you model laptop, very handy to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

First of all, Sorry for my incredibly long delay in getting back to this thread.

I have checked around the mini pci slot and there are no wires at all. Is it likely they just didn't put them in as there wasn't a wireless pci card with it? I have tried to find the service manual but all I can find is chapter 6 (Field Replaceable Units List).
    If there are no antennae, would it be possible/easy to find/install them?
    I have an acer aspire 3003 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

We build laptops for dell. We put the two antenna routed around the LCD and then to the mini-pci connector.

If you have a mini-pci connector you would have thought acer would have installed the antenna (2 wires) beside it, unless it is a old PC.

The alternative is to buy the USB wireless stick? See link http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10279

for as little as e29.

Just checked the acer website, you where able to get this laptop with wireless so there should be wires beside the mini-pci connector

http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_3003LC_LX.A5505.350/version.asp

Its a fairly new laptop (3 months).
    I already have a pcmcia wireless adapter (Belkin) but was hoping to upgrade to an internal card. Can you buy these antennae seperatly and if so would it be possible for me to put them in myself?

EDIT: I have searched all around the pci slot and anywhere else I could see and couldn't find any wires. I'll have another look when I get home though (just incase they hid them behind something)

• Advertisement

chalky wrote:
    Its a fairly new laptop (3 months).
    I already have a pcmcia wireless adapter (Belkin) but was hoping to upgrade to an internal card. Can you buy these antennae seperatly and if so would it be possible for me to put them in myself?

EDIT: I have searched all around the pci slot and anywhere else I could see and couldn't find any wires. I'll have another look when I get home though (just incase they hid them behind something)

Can you buy these antennae seperatly and if so would it be possible for me to put them in myself?
    Yes, see http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10280

What wrong with the PCMCIA card? It should make no differance internal or PCMCIA.

Ye, The wire has to be theresince it is new. See pic. to no what your looking for.

Sorry the cables are for external use. oopz

I checked and its definately not there.

I'd like an internal card as its just much hander than having to put that card in every time I want to connect to the net, and also having something sticking out the side of the laptop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

chalky wrote:
    I checked and its definately not there.

I'd like an internal card as its just much hander than having to put that card in every time I want to connect to the net, and also having something sticking out the side of the laptop.

I used to have a USB dongle which was a pain in the ass, and recently upgraded to a PCMCIA card, which only produdes about a cm... an internal card has an advantage of not sticking out at all, but for ease of installation compared to PCMCIA, I'd not be that bothered!

Yeah, its starting to look like more hassle than its worth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement