Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Townhouse ???????

Options
  • 28-04-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Folks,

A simple question........

Can someone please provide an explanation or definition of what a townhouse is ??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Typicly terraced, no front garden, 2+ stories.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My current residence is described as a townhouse.
    Its a 2 storey 3 bed property in an apartment complex, with a 2 bed apartment beneath me. I have the upper 2 floors, and a private walled patio area of about 10 square meters, but no private gardens etc. I also have a private entrance onto Main Street Lucan, along with a backdoor into the apartment complex, whereas the apartments only exit into the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Victor wrote:
    Typicly terraced, no front garden, 2+ stories.

I was just curious as my purchase of a 4bed semi in Delvin has collasped due to builder issues.

I have an option for a 4bed Townhouse in Ballivor going for 250,000 euro. Seems like a good deal, its a nice house in an quite area.:)

Is the townhouse in Amberwood?
    I had a look at the showhouse. It does look really nice.
    Well done if you have an option on one- I was told they were all gone :(

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

smccarrick wrote:

S.

funny to hear u saying u want to buy property when u think the market is 'madness' in your own words(which i probably agree with to some extent)

i think were all in the same boat, we will pay nearly anything and mortgage our souls to the devil for it:(

It is madness.
    I have a property to sell though- so I'm not exactly in the same boat. I'm using one massively inflated property price, to fund the purchase of another.
    Also- I am not in the market for a property for the Buy-to-let market, I want to get out of the hellhole that Lucan has become..... Liam Lawlor has a hell of a lot to answer for......

smccarrick wrote:

S.

It is in Amberwood. Selling up in Clondalkin and will fund the new purchase with the equity in my old house. No mortgage required thanks be to god.

:):):):)

smccarrick wrote:
    It is madness.
    I have a property to sell though- so I'm not exactly in the same boat. I'm using one massively inflated property price, to fund the purchase of another.
    which is why property is so dear, people forget the inheritance factor,the equity factor,the iflation factor, the loan to value ratio factor, interet rates under 5% factor,+ the HUGH demand thats there.

my only conclusion is property is fairly priced with regard to the above no matter how mad it is. incidentally lucan is becoming a hellhole for a number of reasons.depending on how much u can afford, i can recommend the nice part of clondalkin, thats monastery,floraville,and anywhere around newlands cross. buy second hand,ul get a better deal than new.

in anycase a townhouse is something in a town within village ,usually a terraced and is sometimes a polite way of saying there is no parking or front garden.

Back to Publius Syrus again- "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it"......

My own point of view is that my property will loose a couple of thousand in value with every interest rate increase after a certain critical point- as people will only be willing to pay less to fund it. In my case the complex in which I am in is 90% buy-to-let, and 10% owner-occuppied. Current rental yields are between 1,200 and 1,300 per month- on properties valued at about 460,000. Do the math- it doesn't add up. What I am going to do is take the money and run, while its still available.....

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote:

S.

Sorry I meant to say that this was a result of a cancellation. From talking to one of the neighbours I believe the builder had tried to stiff the buyers for an additional 10k and they walked. I know that I'm getting stiffed for 15k over the original asking price earlier in the year. How did you know that is was in Amberwood. ?????

Is it a fair price ( 250,000 ) for this property.

smccarrick wrote:
    Back to Publius Syrus again- "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it"......

My own point of view is that my property will loose a couple of thousand in value with every interest rate increase after a certain critical point- as people will only be willing to pay less to fund it. In my case the complex in which I am in is 90% buy-to-let, and 10% owner-occuppied. Current rental yields are between 1,200 and 1,300 per month- on properties valued at about 460,000. Do the math- it doesn't add up. What I am going to do is take the money and run, while its still available.....

If ur getting 460 for a long leasehold in lucan with service charges id take it QUICK, u can trade up to a semi in a nice part of clondalkin for that with potential and space and it will be freehold so u own it. ud b silly to stay where u are imho.

lomb wrote:
    If ur getting 460 for a long leasehold in lucan with service charges id take it QUICK, u can trade up to a semi in a nice part of clondalkin for that with potential and space and it will be freehold so u own it. ud b silly to stay where u are imho.

Yup, my sentiment exactly.....
    I'm looking a little further afield than Clondalkin though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote:
    My current residence is described as a townhouse.
    Its a 2 storey 3 bed property in an apartment complex, with a 2 bed apartment beneath me. I have the upper 2 floors, and a private walled patio area of about 10 square meters, but no private gardens etc. I also have a private entrance onto Main Street Lucan, along with a backdoor into the apartment complex, whereas the apartments only exit into the complex.
    Now, that would be a duplex.

Victor wrote:
    Now, that would be a duplex.

Yes, I guess.
    It was sold to me as a townhouse though (on the basis that it has its own frontage and entrance onto mainstreet, there are 4 units similarly situated).
    There are duplex units inside the complex without mainstreet frontage- they originally sold at a 20% discount to those with the frontage.
    Pedantics I guess. God, how I hate builders.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think that when most estate agents use the term "townhouse" they are describing a house on a development run by a management company. This tends to include duplexes styled as houses over apartments- which have their own front door, or actual terraced houses on these developments.

Advertisement