Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car of the year...

Options
  • 28-04-2006 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi,

The Skoda Fabia was car of the year in 2000 i think. Now does anyone know what won it? Because i might be buying a Skoda Fabia tomorrow so i really need help. All of the rave reviews seem to be about the 00' 16valve 1.4 version. But the one i'm looking at is the 8Valve 1.4 version, which is apparently not the VW one! Is it actually the Skoda made car then?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

8value engines tend to be quite poor in performance if you can track down a 16valve one do so.

Answer here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoda_Fabia

"The only trace of non-VW Skoda left in the Fabia is the 1.4 8v "MPI" Engine, which was a modification to Skoda's own 1.3 engine, and was used in pre-Volkswagen Skodas such as the Favorit."

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Epicpriest wrote:
    Hi,

The Skoda Fabia was car of the year in 2000 i think. Now does anyone know what won it? Because i might be buying a Skoda Fabia tomorrow so i really need help. All of the rave reviews seem to be about the 00' 16valve 1.4 version. But the one i'm looking at is the 8Valve 1.4 version, which is apparently not the VW one! Is it actually the Skoda made car then?

Cheers

The Fabia is based on the VW Polo and uses most of the running gear. The 1.4 100bhp engine is very rare to find as it was expensive when new.

The 68bhp 1.4 litre 8 valve version was based on the old Felicia 1.3 engine so this one is pretty old. I think from about 2003 onwards the 1.4 16 valve 75bhp engine from the Polo/Golf was put in the Fabia. Go for this one if you can afford it. It is sluggish in the bigger Octavia and Golf but perfect for the Fabia. Also go for the Comfort model as this will have central locking, electric windows and mirrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

bazz26 wrote:
    The Fabia is based on the VW Polo and uses most of the running gear. The 1.4 100bhp engine is very rare to find as it was expensive when new.

The 68bhp 1.4 litre 8 valve version was based on the old Felicia 1.3 engine so this one is pretty old. I think from about 2003 onwards the 1.4 16 valve 75bhp engine from the Polo/Golf was put in the Fabia. Go for this one if you can afford it. It is sluggish in the bigger Octavia and Golf but perfect for the Fabia. Also go for the Comfort model as this will have central locking, electric windows and mirrors.

Crap. The car only has 28k miles on it, full service history, 1yr warrenty, NCT, it is the Comfort model as well, all the bells and whistles. But it's the 8v 1.4MPI one.. should i give it a miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Could always testdrive it to see what YOU think of it. Maybe go to a dealer and test a 16V first to see what you think of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have had a loan of one for the last ten days or so - have to say, it's better than I expected. Its no ball of fire, its not the quietest but its torquey enough and, in my typical driving situation (open road) its got enough pull to get past a truck or two without too much drama.

If its any comfort, the less modern the engine, hopefully the better proven the engine is. That particular engine has, I believe, a timing chain rather than a belt so that's one less thing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

"The only trace of non-VW Skoda left in the Fabia is the 1.4 8v "MPI" Engine, which was a modification to Skoda's own 1.3 engine, and was used in pre-Volkswagen Skodas such as the Favorit."
    You are aware that Pre VW Skodas were perfectly reliable cars? There's not a thing wrong with the Skoda 1.4, except it's small power deficit. My sis ran a 00 1.4 8v for 2 years. It was a fantastic car - smooth, spacious with suprisingly lively handling. No road rocket, but easily the best supermini of that era in terms of the overall package.

Advertisement