Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help bring Linux to Africa!

• 28-04-2006 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

Hi boardsers.

In the middle of June I (and 11 other volunteers) will be going to Ethiopia with about 100 computers. We are going to bring them to a few schools around the capital (Addis Abbaba) and teach the students and teachers how to use them. Currently Africa is very undeveloped technology-wise. Computers and the Internet can be great for education. Wikipedia alone is fantastic. Every year organisations in Ireland (and the rest of the west/developed world) throw away thousands of computers that still work, while Africa has feck all computers. It's stupid and a waste.

Camara is an Irish charity (charity number: CHY 16922) that was set up to address this imbalance. Camara is less than a year old, and this is the first time volunteers are going over to work with the machines. Linux is installed on all the machines that we send over, I shouldn't have to explain why to this crowd. :) This is a great chance for people to start off using a proper operating system.

We have enough machines for now, but what we need is money, which is why I'm telling you all about this. Flights and vaccinations aren't cheap. Please visit http://www.camara.ie/help.htm to PayPal us money. Please donate money if you think education is important. Please donate money if you think Linux in education is important. Please donate money if you think a country should start off using open source software.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

A few yo-yos on the way - sorry it can't be more.

As a matter of interest, which distro(s) are you using? And what kind of net access are schools going to have out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

http://www.edubuntu.org/ customised for schools, easy peasy and free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

tomk wrote:
    A few yo-yos on the way - sorry it can't be more.

As a matter of interest, which distro(s) are you using? And what kind of net access are schools going to have out there?
    Thanks for your support, every little helps.

tck is correct, we use Edubuntu.

Internet connection will vary from place to place, though it'll be dialup at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Would you be interested in books, magazines, or anything like that?
    If you think they'd be welcome, I'll see what I can put together.
    Seeing as they may be heavy, I'd look into posting them direct
    rather than you having to carry them too, unless you have a
    container.
    Let me know if that'd help.

How about a couple rolls of CAT5/6 and some crimping tools?

With 100 computers, how are you fixed for desks, chairs etc?
    If you could find details for a local supplier, it might be a
    good one for people here to make a dent in.

Best wishes,
    NiallB

We're getting a container to bring all the computers over.

We should be OK for desk etc, since the schools should have them. Cables might be handy, I'll ask on Thursday when we have our weekly meeting (after I get vaccinated against Diptheria, Tetnus and Polio :) ). I can't really see any need for books for us when we're over there, but it might be good to leave them behind for when we're gone. What kinda of books would they be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Switches / AP's / Wifi gear ?
    Printers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Syth wrote:
    We're getting a container to bring all the computers over.

We should be OK for desk etc, since the schools should have them.
    Might as well check, they may have barely enough for ordinary classes.

I meant recent magazines such as Linux Format, Linux Magazine,
    Linux Journal, and sysadmin.

I meant them to be left behind for a library in the schools.
    In a country where net access is all via dialup and
    magazine subsriptions scarce, printed materials
    can be a great resource.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

How would one go about getting involved in taking part in somthing like this?

Sounds like somthing id be interested in doing\contributing to in the future.

How would one go about getting involved in taking part in somthing like this?

Sounds like somthing id be interested in doing\contributing to in the future.

I found out about it through my college. I'll come back here afterwards and tell people how it went. This is not going to be the first time Camara sends people to Africa. I'm going to be interested in this for a while, so I'll keep people up to date. You could always contact the charities directly and see if they need help.

Advertisement