Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this a major/expensive job lads

Options
  • 28-04-2006 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    What it is, is the bushings on the rear axel of a mk3 golf have worn down and as a result every time i hit any bit of a bump or pot hole it goes through the body of the car something terrible. At first i tought it was the rear shocks and replaced them with a set from a 97 golf, but when i took it out on the road the same thing, took it home removed the wheels and shocks and had a good look around and can see that the bushings are worn down on the rear left side where the axel attches to the body of the car. It don't look like a major job, not one id take on myself, i have been told that where the axel attaches and the bolt runs through with the new bushing has to be machine clamped to get it back to normal. Any one had any thing simular happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've seen these go before on Golfs - but not on a regular basis. The parts aren't that costly and the jobs is sort of straight forward. However, you will need a hydraulic press to remove and refit the bushes. If you don't have access to a garage and a press then it's not a DIY job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Don't know about the bolt bit. However it is possible to get the bushings off with pullers. Putting the new one's on requires a hyd or screw jack of some description.
    However, more important is you get the angle of attachment correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

[Edit] Sorry, wrong thread :D

Advertisement