Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House swapping in North West ?....

• 28-04-2006 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I live in a 6 year old modern [Local Authority} detached 2 bedroom bungalow, with a large garden at the front, side and back just outside Ballybofey, with all amenities close at hand. There are only 24 houses and it is located in a close, meaning a no through road.

As it is a Local Authority House, the rental is very reasonable and it could be purchased below market value.

Ideally, I would be happy to swap it for a [1 bedroom] local authority or other cottage warm dwelling suitable for an old grumpy bachelor, in a remote part of Donegal, even as remote as Malin Head, as I am now of an age where a bit of a nice view and being removed from built up areas appeals too me more than leaving my home town.

Even losing my Broadband/internet is secondary to my desire to live in peace and tranquility.

If the idea of living where I live appeals to you, or could meet your circumstances, then send me a PM ! if you can, and just to make sure you know EXACTLY' where I live you can {Click on} my signature, and you will see photo's of where I am currently stuck, although I have to admit that the situation has somewhat improved and may well suit someone with one or two young children or an elderly couple wishing to live beside the Twin-Towns.

This thread is not just for me, but is meant for anyone in the North-West wishing to house swap or exchange all types of houses ;) .

{House-swapping is very common in the U.K. and throughout the E.U.. It is perfectly legal, but I have never attempted to do it in Ireland. So good luck to any one else wishing too exchange }.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just out of curiousity Paddy have you contacted the Council with a view to them providing you with alternative accommodation in some of the other schemes around the twin towns or indeed the finn valley area in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Paddy20 wrote:
    As it is a Local Authority House, the rental is very reasonable and it could be purchased below market value.

Paddy,

As Muffler says, have you contacted the council in this regard? I know if it was in Letterkenny we'd be anxious to get the house in that location back in the stock, and work with you on an alternative provision?

I also think the council might not like the idea of you sub-letting your house (even if it is a straight swap, with no money passing hands). I don't say this to discourage you, as I have not experienced a situation like this before, but it may be worth checking.

you may be better off posting personal information in a pm

Good luck,
    Damien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    Just out of curiousity Paddy have you contacted the Council with a view to them providing you with alternative accommodation in some of the other schemes around the twin towns or indeed the finn valley area in general

Muffler,

Yes, and they did send me out a house transfer application, but I could not be bothered filling it in, as they were asking a lot of questions about my circumstances (of which they are more than aware ?..), and coupled with the fact that I am not exactly their " Most favourite person/tenant " 'Due in the main to the fact that I have personally exposed their unprofessional conduct and incompetance in both local & national media over a (16 year period) ! as a voluntary community activist, I have also - lost all faith - in the Housing Department and 'Housing Manager plus the 'Director of Housing', both of whom IMHO should resign forthwith.

I would not expect them to be co-operative in any way in my particular case, even though I was allocated this house 'mainly due to Health Board , pressure !.

So, I have now decided to try another alternative house moving route.

Such, is life ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Paddy

I am not sure what the story is with this scenario.
    The council own the house so is it not up to them to change the tenant. If you seek a tenant and move then you all may end up been kicked off the housing registrar.

You have stated that you are not their favourite tenant on the books, this may be the perfect opportunity to get shot of you, i am not saying that in a negative way but if you look at the situation, you militant fights for a better life may work to your advantage.

I would stick to the proper channels if i was you, and remember you have a local Dail Politician retiring next year, so use that to your advantage, and remember, someone has to replace him so use that your advantage also.

Glencolumcille is a lovely area, but bleek in the winter but still worth it.

nanook wrote:
    and remember you have a local Dail Politician retiring next year, so use that to your advantage, and remember, someone has to replace him so use that your advantage also.
    What the *u*K. Paddy looking for new house. But surely its not Leinster house he's after :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

you may be better off posting personal information in a pm

Cheers Nanook. I thought about what I was doing before I left that info! It's all information that's available on my own website, for example, and other places so I don't mind it being on here as well.

And, on the point about the retiring politician, Paddy lives in Ballybofey which is Donegal SW rather than NE, so won't be able to leverage that one. Not this time anyway!

Thanks again. I've PMed paddy with the info.

Nanook,

Local Authority tenants exchange houses for a multitude of reasons and the Local Authority usually co-operates fully. The tenants simply sign the appropriate forms.

I have not got a clue if this thread will bring a positive response, but I thought I would give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ! Is my motto ;) .

As for Politician's, well I would prefer not to express my opinion of them in public, just to be fair.

Paddy20 wrote:
    As for Politician's, well I would prefer not to express my opinion of them in public, just to be fair.
    Thank god for that Paddy. Stops me from getting out the yellow cards :D

well paddy, politicians are the only thing that are safe from your opinions :):)

nanook wrote:
    well paddy, politicians are the only thing that are safe from your opinions :):)
    Dont tempt him :D

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:

Nanook,

Only on this thread, as they are well aware ! :D

You know, I find it hard to believe that I am now in my 60's and I live in a nice 7 year old local authority 2 bedroomed detached bungalow which is only 5 minutes walk from Ballybofey on the Glenfin Road.

Yet I would love to live in a quiet bedsit, somewhere in Donegal far away from want and care. This house is available to me to purchase at a price well below market value.

If anyone has any idea's or suggestions I would love to hear them.

A decent sized room with a view is all that I am looking for, provided it is secure and homely. As I am now registered as disabled for life, looking after a two bedroomed property with a large garden at the front, side and back is a burden I do not need.

There are a number of options open to those who may fully understand my position.

P.M. me if you prefer.

.Please note this thread is for the use of all over 60''s in the North West, who may wish to highlight their particular concern's/worries.:)

We had the same before Paddy so I've merged them

muffler wrote:
    Dont tempt him :D

muffler,

I am assuming that you moved my thread, I was not aware we had a House swapping in North West sub forum ?.., anyway many thanks on a number of fronts on this one :) .

I just hope a positive response will be forthcoming.

As an afterthought you know " An over 60's thread" on the North West forum could prove to be of benefit to many ?.. as recently I only became aware of 2 brothers living not far from Ballybofey, who were found dead by natural causes in their isolated, no electricity, no bathroom, no running water,No telephone?. etc two roomed shack. When I saw their living conditions, it reminded me of the famine years.:eek: . Yet not a word in the media, or comment from local councillors ?..

P.

paddy those things still goes on.

I know many bachelor brother's living in similar conditions. No electricity, no heating (just a space where you throw truf and log on, no phone and a radio running on batteries sitting in the corner.

Some would say it is a hard existence, but these guys are happy. They dont know anything else so why change.

In light if your new classification, why dont you explain to the council that you are willing to downsize. Explain that the 2 bed house and garden is a hindrance and would better suit a small family. I am sure damian would be happy to help or even guide you in the right direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Paddy20 wrote:

As an afterthought you know " An over 60's thread" on the North West forum could prove to be of benefit to many ?.. as recently I only became aware of 2 brothers living not far from Ballybofey, who were found dead by natural causes in their isolated, no electricity, no bathroom, no running water,No telephone?. etc two roomed shack. When I saw their living conditions, it reminded me of the famine years.:eek: . Yet not a word in the media, or comment from local councillors ?..

P.

There are a few good projects i spotted before , is this one still going?

Good Morning Inishowen is a new and free Telephone Link Line Service for Older People in the Inishowen Area (Those aged 65 years and above.) Telephone calls are made to Older People on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9.30am until 1pm. Older People who choose to avail of the service will receive a telephone call at a time decided by them. The main aim of the telephone call is to ensure the Older person is safe and well in their own home and to help the Older Person with any enquiries they might have. If you are an Older Person or you know of an Older Person in the Inishowen area who would benefit from this telephone call please contact Ann Gill, Project Co-ordinator at 93 21598 or call in and see us at 6 Ardaravan Square, Buncrana.

The telephone link is the basic. Awful if some people dont have electricity, running water so the telephone is another level again. Perhaps Damien Blake knows the numbers of older people in this situation or can pull it out. Eg Would the census have picked up on this? It gives some indication on houshold standards and age of occupant. Perhaps thats a research piece in the offing. ;)

Advertisement