Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Panels and Planning Permission

Options
  • 28-04-2006 9:36pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what your thoughts are on......
    ...i want to put up 3 solar panels on the front roof of a semi-d, in a smallish estate and require full planning application

seems mad for a non-structural change, I consider it like people changing their windows, technically you need planning but noone ever does it

thoughts?
    just do it, or
    the whole time/expense of the formality?

if the second one, anyone an idea of lead time/costs

cheers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If you are thinking of flat panels then take a look around to see if there are any velux roof lights in the front roofs of local houses without P.P.

Tubes will stand out and could get the attention of the local planner who might want to make an example of someone, in that case I would take extra care.

You might try a letter from the neighbours stating no objection and ask for an exemption from full P.P.

You might find it better to work with your local planner than to take a chance, full P.P. could be expensive but so is installing then removing your solar panels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi roofer and thanks for the reply, I phoned the council and they said full planning - tubes -, just seems mad to me..
    ..am ignorant to the whole planning lead times, anyone an idea of lead time from time of application to the time I can place panels on roof?
    rough cost estimate would be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What if they're on the back of the house, do you need P.P. then? I would have thought not, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Planning permission will take two months.

For something like this all you really need is a roof plan a front elevation and the usual site maps. The fee is modest.
    Alun wrote:
    What if they're on the back of the house, do you need P.P. then? I would have thought not, but you never know.
    Then it wouldn't get the sun, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Anyone know if its ok at the back of a house????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Victor wrote:
    For something like this all you really need is a roof plan a front elevation and the usual site maps. The fee is modest.
    Then it wouldn't get the sun, would it?

I was in for planning on an existing house looking for a change to waste water treatment ie addition of peat modules and application was deemed invalid as I didn't submit plans and evelations of existing structures on the site. To make sure your application is not delayed I recommend you submit full drawings of your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

Salmon/slave1

I had the same PP issue where i did not include solar panels in the planning application but wanted to put them in afterwards. I had my architect call up the CoCo informally and they said as it was at the "back" of the house (southern side luckily) it was ok to proceed. If you have an engineer or architect working for you then this may be a way to proceed - get them to make an informal query by phone (as they should know the right person to ask in the council).

G'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

How are your panels working out for you dras? how effective are they in the winter months??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unfortunately for me, they are front of house and the council - via phone call - said full planning, internal house walls, site notice etc etc :confused:
    legislation needs to take into account situations like this to free up and streamline non-construction - you know what I mean - alterations

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Salmon wrote:
    Anyone know if its ok at the back of a house????
    Generally no, unless the property is protected and they aren't obtrusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Salmon wrote:
    How are your panels working out for you dras? how effective are they in the winter months??

There was another post on this a couple of weeks back:

About 7 months of hot water: April - October

(I know this doesn't tie in with the sun's seasonal elevation, but this was the poster's experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

On the initial query by me referring to solar water heaters, it was full planning required according to the council.

On getting a public rep to talk to the council, the council told the public rep that planning application would be waived on payment of €80.

Advertisement