Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agreed price with .com owner for domain, what next?

Options
  • 28-04-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

i made a post a few weeks back asking how to buy a .com thats already in use as it was about to expire. it was renewed so i contacted the owner, we agreed on a price hes willing 2 sell and im willing 2 buy, but what next? how do we do it securely so he gets the money and i get the site and everyone does there part of the deal?

i was on to 2 live chat employees of 2 different domain reg sites and they said to get the username and password off him and then log in and change all details to mine and they said to go to the people who the domain was reg'd with, so i got onto there live chat too. but i was told there is no secure way of doing this that there has to be trust to do it. is this true? is there a chance he can run off with the money or i can run off without paying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I believe a legitimate escrow agency would be one place to look; although I do not know of any, I believe that some exist. Someone else might have a recommendation for you.

I'd also suggest that you change the name of this thread to something more specific; it might help you get more people to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

just edited first post, thanks for tip. what is a escrow agency:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Escrow is the holding of funds, documents, securities, or other property by an impartial third party for the other two participants in a business transaction. When the transaction is completed, the escrow agent releases the entrusted property.

Check out: https://www.escrow.com/solutions/domain_name/index.asp

To be honest if it cost less than a grand and the guy seems friendly enough i would not bother using escrow.

If he is abroad and your not sure go with escrow, the fees are quite small.

cheers for the info. its costing $1500. what kind of fees will escrow charge on that so?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

50 beans apparently.

• Advertisement

cheers

moeny went thru and I got the username and password for the domain and can log in.

i want to put it on godaddy with another domain i have there so i can manage both from there.

anyone know how?

any other steps i should take or be aware of?

cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

GoDaddy should have a domain transfer option in their control panel. If they don't, ask them about it. Better yet, move them both to a proper domain registrar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ken Shabby wrote:
    , move them both to a proper domain registrar.

What have you got against GoDaddy? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The same as the last time you asked me Michele, and the time before that. Domain registrars should stick to registering domain names, not content and/or network management of their customers. That's what network/hosting providers are for.

http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/phish_aacgebeeje_hc/

This would be roughly equivalent to one of your customer's websites being compromosed, and eNom nullrouting blacknightsolutions.com because of that, knocking most of your hosting customers out of service.

Whatever about Mariani's handling of the situation, no-one should do business with a company demonstrating that level of arrogance and incompetence. There's saving money and there's buying crap...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ah that..

Advertisement