Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something Stinks!

• 28-04-2006 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

We have had a 'smell' on and off in our kitchen for as long as I can remember. I think it has something to do with the water because it's worse around the sink and smells like rotten eggs. We've pulled out everything, there's nothing rotten down behind it, there doesn't seem to be anything leaking and it's not a constant smell, it comes and goes!!! What in gods name could it be??? Any clue?

Thanks,

Deb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Just recently I came across what seems to be the same problem. Turned out to be gunge built up in the sink overflow tube. Disconnected it and flushed out wit 'flash' or similar. worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

I'll give that a go thanks. There's an awful whiff off it so anything is worth a try! Some days it hits me when I walk in the front door, but most of the time there's nothing :confused: If that doesn't work I'll be buying shares in Oust! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I sounds like it could be on opening in the waste line and the waste smells are coming up. Is there a dishwasher connected, it is possible there isn't a proper seal from the hose to the outlet connection. Check the waste bend also and check for any waste pipe coming up that goes nowhere, it's simple enough to remove and clean the waste trap under the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Had a similiar problem, turned out to be the plastic pipe that you connect a dishwasher / washing machine to under the countertop, we had never used it and there must have been water in there going stagnant.
    Few squirts of thick bleach down it seems to have done the job, nothing now for a month. :)

Thanks for the tips. Hubby cleaned it out with Caustic soda today, but I can still smell it:( He says he can't smell it.. but there's definitely a minor niff today!

The Dishwasher and washing machine are connected to one waste pipe and the sink is on a separate one. Is there any kind of sealing cap I can get for those waste pipes where the hose from the machines go in?

I'm going to get him to stick the power washer down the 2 waste pipes tomorrow incase there's anything sitting down there. And throw a gallon of Parazone down after it!

Thanks again,

Deb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

Theres a nifty product available for unblocking / clearing sinks ,it's in a small green canister.
    All you do is block all the openings on the waste except for the main one and push this canister down on the waste.
    It emmits a serious blow of pressure ,that smells of lemons and hey presto your blocked waste is fixed.

Be warned though the pressure is such that if you have a double sink the second stopper will shoot up at high speed unless you hold it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I know a person who had this problem and it turned out a Rat had climbed into the Hot-Water Tank (uncovered) in the attic. Now the house was old and the rat fell in and drowned. His body disintegrated and the smell was coming from it. This could have been disastrous for the person's involved (Family friends) however a plumber was brought in and the entire system was purged and Ratty's remains removed. Check your hot water tank, it might not be a Rat but still it could be a rogue Bird or Leather-Bat.

netwhizkid wrote:
    I know a person who had this problem and it turned out a Rat had climbed into the Hot-Water Tank (uncovered) in the attic. Now the house was old and the rat fell in and drowned. His body disintegrated and the smell was coming from it. This could have been disastrous for the person's involved (Family friends) however a plumber was brought in and the entire system was purged and Ratty's remains removed. Check your hot water tank, it might not be a Rat but still it could be a rogue Bird or Leather-Bat.

The smell wouldn't be at the kitchen sink if that happened ,it would be all over the house.
    Whats dangerous in a house is a DIY tank job in an attic ,if an extra water storage tank is put in (that means two tanks) and is not installed properly ,you get stagnation and then eventually you could get legionaires disease.

I still think that device I mentioned is a good start ,fun to use aswell.

Hi Netwhizkid, we've only recently had the attic tank replaced, so it's definitely not that thank God, I'd have heart failure at the thoughts of rats:eek:

Eireroaduser, that stuff sounds great. But we headed over to B&Q in search of some kind of sealing cap for the waste pipe because I think whoever mention the dishwasher/washingmachine waste pipe may well be right! I hadn't even considered them. But a sealing cap doesn't seem to exist! So I bought a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves and 2 different sized Jubilee clips so we're going to blast the waste pipes, throw down a litre of Jayes fluid and fashion a 'seal' out of the above articles! Improvise, adapt and overcome as the man says;) I will let you know how it goes.. if the house is still reeking after that.. I'm going to move!!!! lol

Thanks again,

Deb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

had a similar problem,took me ages to find the source however the problem wasn't inside the house..

you could check the drains outside most likely its one of these are actually blocked (nearly blocked) once the washing machine or dishwasher is on
    the level of water rises in the drain thereby stinking the house...

as you explain it only happens on/off , turn on your taps, washing machine on rinse mode etc leave it on for a while, lift your man hole cover and have a look at the drains outside i'd say this is where your problem lies, most likely a bit of loo roll or something stuck

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Advertisement

I'll get him to stick the power washer down the manhole(away from the house!) and the lowest opening on the down pipe from the bathroom too sure and see if that makes any difference. Anything is worth a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Debracd wrote:
    The Dishwasher and washing machine are connected to one waste pipe and the sink is on a separate one. Is there any kind of sealing cap I can get for those waste pipes where the hose from the machines go in?

Does the waste pipe for the dishwasher have a U bend on it?, if not that would allow a drain smell from where the hoses go in.

I think there's a reason those hoses are not sealed in, something to do with the possability of them auto emptying themselved via syphon effect.

The pipe that comes out of the dishwasher has a U shaped thingy on it, but not the waste pipe itself. It's L shaped if you know what I mean? The McGyver job is done now, but if the seal causes any problems we can take them off, but if it works and there's half a chance I don't ever have to walk in to that stink again I'm laughin'!!!

Cormac is right ,if your waste pipe has no trap on it ,thats where the smell comes from.
    Also you might damage your machine valve if you seal the pipe ,it might pull on the valve every time the valve closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If all your U-bends and seals are working correctly ...here's another suspect:

Coffee dregs ...

If regularly empty your half drunk coffe into the sink and have that sitting in the u-bend for a while, it produces a pretty bad stink. Don't ask me why ...just does.

So would it be possible then to detatch the waste for the machines and sink from the main waste pipe(also servicing the bathroom) and redirect it to a drain? I think I may need a plumber after all. No stink to day tough so that's good start!

I could stick a new waste in for you ,if you are on the northside and could wait until I got a chance.

Wouldn't take long ,you might be able to stick a washing machine waste on the existing pipe .
    I have a few gas boilers to change this week and a new house to finish.
    PM me if you want ?

Grand, I'll pm you later and give details etc. Have to get off line now and make the dinner.. better LOOK like I'm doing something at least! lol

Thanks,

Deb

Advertisement