Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulling on the brakes

Options
  • 29-04-2006 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I had to borrow a mates car for a spin this eve and notice it pulls quite badly when I was on the brakes. Didn't seem to pull at all while driving, only when the brakes were applied, and pretty bad too.
    I notice it's actually noticeable at all speeds through the wheel.

Any diagnosis ?
    I am thinking the brakes are only working on one wheel but perhaps it could be some sort of suspension damage?
    Its an older rwd car btw.

Opinions as to whats up here welcome.

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I know mine will pull if I'm hard on the brakes for lenghty periods, it's called brake-fade. Are you going heavy on the brakes or just normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Never noticed a major lateral imbalance due to brake fade TBH, but that could be just me.

In terms of it pulling, it could be anything from geometry (tracking, camber, castor) to an actual imbalance in the brake system or even somthing as simple as tyre pressures.

Just to clarify, by "pulling" you mean that it has a tendancy to veer to one side under braking right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I only had the car for 20 mins and tried out a few different things, slow, fast etc. There is a definate pull when travelling above 40 and going hard on the brakes. but I think I could feel it at low speeds throught the wheel.
    By pulling I mean to one side when I went for the anchors.

I though brake fade though was when you'd been repeatedly giving the brakes stick and the pedal travel starts to get a bit longer.

My friends hate loaning me their cars as I always have bad news for them on return, I would like to have an idea what this is before I advise him though.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

You mean pulling to the right or left, I presume.

Typically only the front brakes produce a directional pull.
    Why?. many reasons. steering wear or imbalance. Worn front suspension busings and suspension components, Flat/de-inflated or different tyres. Sticking/fading brakes. Diagonally split brakes combined with a marginal or leaking master cylinder.

I fixed a hard directioinal (left) pull once by replacing the (front) tyres. No idea what was the difference between them. They were the same size, model, make and age.

With your hands off the steering and a flat surface. If you accelerate hard or if you shift down hard, does it pull to one side or another. If yes, you have a suspension/alignment problem to fix first.

If no. You have a brake problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

RobAMerc wrote:
    I though brake fade though was when you'd been repeatedly giving the brakes stick and the pedal travel starts to get a bit longer.

Thanks

Not seen that condition, without a leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

AMurphy wrote:
    Not seen that condition, without a leak.

We are in danger of moving off topic but..
    I have, after a long drive on back roads where you are giveing the brakes a good going over at every bend, I have noticed the brakes getting a bit softer after a while.

It is particulary noticeable in a car with weak brakes to being with, disc/drum setup (Ford Puma was one). All would retunr to normal after they were left cool down.

I presume those who take their cars to track days must suffer from it a good bit.

Thanks for the advice on the pulling problem btw, I did try accelerating hard and it seemed straight and true. Feels more like a brake problem.

I just want to advise him before theres an emergency and he has this to contend with too!

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Back to original question: my money's on a sticky caliper - not applying as strongly on one side as the other, so pulling towards the strong side.

Advertisement