Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solids & Liquids can be compressed?

• 29-04-2006 4:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I was thought in school that Solids and Liquids couldn't be compressed, but I've now read that they can, and to be honest it makes sense that they can since the molecules are 99% (or whatever) space.

I'd like if this was confirmed though, and I also wonder why is it taught in school that they can't be compressed? I understand that it requires much more effort to compress solids or liquids than it requires for a gas, but still, what they are teaching is effectively wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

At Ten Past Four In The Monring...???!!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    At Ten Past Four In The Monring...???!!!!

No work tomorow since I quit because I'm going away for the summer, and I am doing a small side job for somebody I know that needs to be done by Sunday which I'm a little behind on, and I was working on a little invention that is related in a sense to the topic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

If I remember rightly the science/physics books open with a summary stating that solids and liquids are "assumed to be incompressible" for the purpose of simplicity. Thats all. It was to protect our fragile minds.
    For the record its 10:30am here...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Of course they can be compressed. What you were taught was probably that they were not compressed significantly.
    4:37.
    Physics yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Yeah they can be compressed.
    However if you ignore the fact that they can be compressed (particularly Liquids) you can solve the equations which govern their motion on a home pc.
    If you don't ignore it, even a supercomputer can't solve the equations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I assume when we compress a solid, that we are really doing is forcing the atoms closer to each other against the force (whatever its called). Let's just for the sake of simplicity say that 99% is the actual figure for the ammount of space in an atoms, can we then compress any solid (even if it takes massive ammounts of effort) to 1% of it's size?

Second Q.
    When I hit something, for example my table here, I slam my hand down on it, when I do that, are the (wow I'm over my head) atoms in my hand, closer to the atoms in the table, than they usualy would be in a rested position (ie just my hand resting on the table). What Im wondering is, am I slightly really slightly compressing the table when I hit it? Or is there a treshold of force, that you must apply before it will begin to compress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

well things can only be compressed so far because of the stron and weak nuclear forces which are rediculously strong compared to gravit. The more you compress things the harder (significantly harder) it becomes to compress them more. For super compressed matter you could read up on neutron stars. Basically these are so compressed that electrons and protons have benn squished to form neutrons and the neutrons are all squashed together.

I'd answer your other question but gotta run. google newtons third law and hookes law for an aproxomate answer or i'm sure someone elso will provide one.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DaSilva wrote:
    When I hit something, for example my table here, I slam my hand down on it, when I do that, are the (wow I'm over my head) atoms in my hand, closer to the atoms in the table, than they usualy would be in a rested position (ie just my hand resting on the table). What Im wondering is, am I slightly really slightly compressing the table when I hit it? Or is there a treshold of force, that you must apply before it will begin to compress?

Ever see the experiment where people walk on custard? Similar kind of principle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

DaSilva wrote:
    I What Im wondering is, am I slightly really slightly compressing the table when I hit it?
    The table may actually partially enter your hand.
    I'm sure there is a very scientific name for this but as a layman I've always heard it referred to as a splinter.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

^^electron tunneling

the reason we are 99% free space is because atoms are held in an arrangement by the strong and weak nuclear forces. Strong and weak forces are both actually rather strong. If you imagine that your hand is being held together by these forces and so is the table... when you slam down on it, tho' you may come a few femtometres closer (that is you slightly overcome the nuclear forces) atomically it's probably not very noticeable. If you look at the two appached pictures it's an approximation of what would most likely happen if you slammed a table (and had abnormally square hand and extremely large atoms in them).
    I slam my hand down on it, when I do that, are the atoms in my hand, closer to the atoms in the table, than they usualy would be in a rested position
    So essentially, to be pedantic... probably. On a microscopic level... no. on an atomic level... barely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Solids can be compressed.

Plutonium depending on the state can be up to 19.1 g/cm3

An implosion can increase this by a factor of up to 5 !
    (or maybe they mean the 16g/cm3 state to ~ 80g/cm3)

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Library/Implsion.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Ever see the experiment where people walk on custard? Similar kind of principle

It is the custard powder, which is essentially cornflour. Google 'oobleck' for stuff about it being a solid and liquid at the same time. Try it out then - weird!

Advertisement