Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband- what's your wifi setup?

• 29-04-2006 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a Wifi network to share the IBB connection around the house. I started with

1) Main and second PC on Wifi network
    Obtain an IP address automatically
    Obtain DNS server address automatically

and I could not get a connection on the 2nd PC (the obtained IP addresses were different groups altogether, I couldn't even ping)

I now have:

2) Main PC on Wifi network
    IP address 192.168.0.1
    DNS blank
    Second PC
    IP address 192.168.0.2
    DNS 62.231.###.### (the IBB DNS servers)

which gives me access to most websites on the 2nd PC but blocks other sites that are available without problems on the main PC.

It would be a great help if someone could tell me what their set up is. Any other advice also appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭techie

Both Pc's should have the same DNS server and gateway addresses if they are connecting to the same router.

Is the wireless setup encrypted? If so in your first scenario it sounds like the 2nd pc did not connect properly to the wireless network.

I'm not with IBB , but I have wireless broadband and wireless network in house with no problems.

Feel free to ask any questions on setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ixm1980

dye know how to change the mtu settings on a netopia wireless modem..tanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭techie

What model number is it?

model number is 3347mwg-eir... need the MTU settings to go onto xbox live. tanx

model no. is 3347 nwg-eir. ignore prev msg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

To the OP, what router are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have Irish Broadband.

I have my IBB "modem" plugged into the WAN port of my router. I have my router setup to allocate IPs in the 192.168.2.x range. I have the IBB static IP, Gateway and DNS entrys in my router config.

I have all PCs on the network setup to automatically obtain IP and DNS info. I use both LAN and WLAN connections.

With WEP off and SSID on there are no issues.

Does your setup match this?

I had some issues with certain websites loading with IBB which were easily resolved by using http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp to change the MTU to 1480 for the network connect on each PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 mnolan

Thanks for all your answers guys. I don't have a router. Instead, I am using ad-hoc networking using only the PCs themselves. That MTU suggestion seems to work which is great.

Is WEP encryption used for authentication at all? If I disable it how can I stop the whole street sharing my connection?

Thanks again,

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You MUST use EITHER WEP (128bit, shared key recommeded), OR WPA encryption.

Otherwise you are offering a gateway for spammers, backhats and thieves only traceable to you personally. You will be deemded responsible for whatever mayhem even one person creates.

Apart from issue of losing bandwidth!

mnolan wrote:
    Thanks for all your answers guys. I don't have a router. Instead, I am using ad-hoc networking using only the PCs themselves. That MTU suggestion seems to work which is great.

Is WEP encryption used for authentication at all? If I disable it how can I stop the whole street sharing my connection?

Thanks again,

Mark

Get a DLink DI524M Nat/Router/Firewall Mimo Wifi with Ethernet WAN port and 4 port Ethernet switch and up to 108M wifi under 120 Euro. Or many others available.

Adhoc Wifi is madness.

Only connect direct without a separate Firewall if you disable MS Client etc in Advanced Network Bindings.

• Advertisement

using a netopia wireless modem mod no. 3347nwg-eir.. provider is eircom

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

watty wrote:
    You MUST use EITHER WEP (128bit, shared key recommeded), OR WPA encryption.

Otherwise you are offering a gateway for spammers, backhats and thieves only traceable to you personally. You will be deemded responsible for whatever mayhem even one person creates.

Apart from issue of losing bandwidth!
    You can easily use neither WPA or WEP and still have a secure connection.

Answer? MAC address filtering.

Not having to encrypt the data also means that signal strength will improve somewhat.

MAC address filtering is not security. They can be observed from sniffing ARP requests and then cloned.

Encryption does not affect signal strength at all. It would only affect speed on very old slow WiFi base or very old slow PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

ixm1980 wrote:
    using a netopia wireless modem mod no. 3347nwg-eir.. provider is eircom

Are you on drugs? hehe get yer own thread... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

watty wrote:
    MAC address filtering is not security. They can be observed from sniffing ARP requests and then cloned.

Encryption does not affect signal strength at all. It would only affect speed on very old slow WiFi base or very old slow PC.

It's as easy to sniff and rebuild a key.

For joe soap is _anyone_ going to go to this trouble?

no.

so for joe soap, MAC filtering is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

The guy wanted help getting the network working, securing the network once it's up and running is secondary. With Wi-Fi you really have to start at the start and build up.

Mnolan, just buy a router. It'll save you so much trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 mnolan

Again, thanks for all the answers. The MTU fix mentioned above needed a bit more tweaking but all sites are now visible using an MTU of 1272. I found details on the fix at:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107

Remember to reboot after the change.

Regards,

Mark

Advertisement