Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2EE IDE suggestions??

Options
  • 29-04-2006 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been working with .net for just under two years now and I find that visual studio is easy to get your head around but I would also like to learn Java so I can widen my career opportunities and also I enjoy learning new technologies. can anyone suggest something similar to visual studio for Java development?

Also do you think that you can be a master of both Java and .net???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There are 2 main open source ides
    Eclipse
    Netbeans

Both are pretty damn good, Idea is the leading commercial ide.

As to being a master of both, C# and Java aren't a million miles from each other in terms of language style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Go with Eclipse as per pH's recommendations. NetBeans is a heavy weight beast.
    Eclipse is highly powerful and is broadly supported through it's plugin structure to allow you to develop in all manner of langs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I prefer NetBeans. The new IDE is pretty sweet. Doesn't rely as heavily on plugins as Eclipse does. I researched the two for my final year project and found NetBeans easier to get to grips with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Sniipe wrote:
    I prefer NetBeans. The new IDE is pretty sweet. Doesn't rely as heavily on plugins as Eclipse does. I researched the two for my final year project and found NetBeans easier to get to grips with.
    Totally agree, but Eclipse is better when you spend the time to get to know it. I felt that the best thing to do is use NetBeans and from that experience switch to Eclipse; a bit of a different way of thinking when using it.
    Eclipse is nothing with out plugins, but the idea of plugins is to allow the user to configure wholly to his own needs with nothing overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

interesting :) perhaps it is time for me to have another look :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Without this getting into the normal fanbois argument, does anyone here have commerical experience with *both* IDEs and would like to present a balanced opinion of both?

I use netbeans every day, and find it does everything that I need. I primarily use it for Swing/J2EE development and I think that most would agree that for Swing netbeans is better. Obviously for SWT then you pick eclipse.

That said Eclipse is by all accounts a very good IDE (albeit one i have little experience with). Both seem to be pretty level in terms of features, but the 'style' and implementation of features in one may suit some people better.

May I suggest that downloading one of the IDEs and using it for a few days it probably not much of a basis for a balanced review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I've used both pretty extensively, but have to say that Eclipse, because of its extraordinary extensibility, has got to win out. When you add the concept of the RCP (Rich Client Platform) which uses the same APIs, plugins, etc., it's light years ahead. The only downside is that it takes a little longer to get to grips with Eclipse, but only a very little longer.

I now use IBM's Rational tools all the time, and these are essentially Eclipse on steroids, and these are really good. I don't know where pH got the idea that Idea is the biggest commercial dev environment: Rational, Sun and BEA are way, way out in front.

Advertisement