Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speaking of "clocking" cars..

Options
  • 29-04-2006 10:55am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The amount of cars I've seen recently with dodgy mileage. Check this out. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=403938

Note the mileage in the text of the ad, now check the photo of the speedo. Unreal.:eek: Nice little 40k drop. How thick do you have to be? Also I suspect the relocation of the seatbelts in the back to facilitate the addition of a dubious "strut" brace might screw with the NCT.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Wibbs wrote:
    The amount of cars I've seen recently with dodgy mileage. Check this out. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=403938

Note the mileage in the text of the ad, now check the photo of the speedo. Unreal.:eek: Nice little 40k drop.

Not 40K. 80K:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I remember hearing the story of the guy who decided to give his car a "haircut" and when he took out the speedo there, on a sticker on the back was written "Oh no not again!":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Not 40K. 80K:eek:

60 actually, odo is in kms ;)

117 - 59 ~= 60 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

junkyard wrote:
    I remember hearing the story of the guy who decided to give his car a "haircut" and when he took out the speedo there, on a sticker on the back was written "Oh no not again!":)
    That's Priceless ! ROFL :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

testicle wrote:
    60 actually, odo is in kms ;)

117 - 59 ~= 60 :-)
    Thanks for that. I run out of mathematical ability when I run out of fingers. Still unreal though. Shows the contempt they have for the punter. I'm tempted to email them or ring for "further details".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PS I'd swear this is the same car(check out the wheels and battery in engine shot) with slightly different mileage again. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395291 They can't seem to make their minds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

There the same car alright,altho its known for the importers at the docks to swap stock between each other and sometimes use the same auction pictures.

Scandalous that they can get away with that sort of thing.

eireal wrote:
    There the same car alright,altho its known for the importers at the docks to swap stock between each other and sometimes use the same auction pictures.
    You would think they'd use the same "mileage" though. :) Buyer beware aint in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I saw a clocked tractor last week.

I know it was clocked because it was sold 18mths ago by a guy I know with almost twice the hours!

Here's another one from the same crowd. Different car dubious mileage (and the numbers are all over the place to boot)http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=412983

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wibbs wrote:
    PS I'd swear this is the same car(check out the wheels and battery in engine shot) with slightly different mileage again. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395291 They can't seem to make their minds up.

Someone's trying to sell it while still driving it. Any time the ad is renewed, the mileage will go up, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Slow coach wrote:
    Someone's trying to sell it while still driving it. Any time the ad is renewed, the mileage will go up, obviously.

Or down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

The majority of these "wrong" milage details is to

1) make the potential buyer interested and at least go see the car
    2) Make sure the car is listed when a buyer put a filter on their search for cars say e,g, with less than 40,000 miles. Done all the time on Autotrader also.

When someone goes to view the car and hopefully spots the clock difference and enquires about it, the dealer will say "oh yeah that was a typo/mistake/sneaky f'ing way to get you into my forecourt, but the car is really nice and here is 100 euro off the price and a free nodding cat for the inconvience."*

* of course there are genuine mistake also made.

Buying a car can actual be loads of funny, catching dealers/sellers out, as long as yer not stuck to find a car and in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thats some glanza i could be wrong here but judging by the bottom pic when the clouds come out it turns into a altezza !!

amaizing

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Or down...

LOL, as dry as it comes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Wibbs wrote:
    (and the numbers are all over the place to boot)

I wouldn't take much notice of how the numbers line up - I recently seen a jeep that had been clocked back from 230k miles to 112k miles and NASA couldn't have lined up the numbers better, they were literally dead straight! Then a few weeks ago I bought a car from an elderly neighbour who had owned it from span new and the numbers on the odometer were all over the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Wibbs wrote:
    (and the numbers are all over the place to boot)

I wouldn't take much notice of how the numbers line up - I recently seen a jeep that had been clocked back from 230k miles to 112k miles and NASA couldn't have lined up the numbers better, the were literally dead straight! Then a few weeks ago I bought a car from an elderly neighbour who had owned it from span new and the numbers on the odometer were all over the place!

damo605 wrote:
    I wouldn't take much notice of how the numbers line up - I recently seen a jeep that had been clocked back from 230k miles to 112k miles and NASA couldn't have lined up the numbers better, they were literally dead straight! Then a few weeks ago I bought a car from an elderly neighbour who had owned it from span new and the numbers on the odometer were all over the place!
    Very true, depends on the car model, some are more wonky thatn others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I suppose this is where service history comes in to its own.To validate the mileage that is

Does the NCT care if the mileage has decreased since the last test?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Bond-007 wrote:
    No. This topic was covered on Primetime a few weeks ago. It's scandalous that the NCT isn't used to catch this. Also, I think there should be a space on the log book for the mileage, i.e. every time a car is sold, the mileage is recorded. That way, at least you'ld be able to see if the mileage was decreasing as the car aged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Bond-007 wrote:

I suppose they can't as it's not illegal to 'clock' a vehicle. It's not even illegal to sell a 'clocked' vehicle. It's only illegal to sell it without informing the buyer that it has been 'clocked'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Is it true that on mercs, when the cars have been clocked, the speedometer needle bounces up and down when driving along?

If thats the case, half the taxis in Dublin have been clocked!!! :D

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Wibbs wrote:
    Thanks for that. I run out of mathematical ability when I run out of fingers. Still unreal though. Shows the contempt they have for the punter. I'm tempted to email them or ring for "further details".

Just did it myself, wait and see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Flash

i was looking for something sporty and i saw a 01 celica on carzone but it said mileage not warranted - what does this mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Is it true that on mercs, when the cars have been clocked, the speedometer needle bounces up and down when driving along?

Tox

Been in a few taxis in Waterford that were being clocked. As in The the speedo wasn't working anymore, and the miles weren't going up. Once the car had done like 3 months of driving like this, they would enable it again. So the car did 3 free months of slogging it as a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

ToxicPaddy wrote:

Tox

Normally only means the damper spring is longer is doing its job. Most speedos now use liquid silcone instead, but this can leak, especially if one takes out the speedo. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

I have a diesel i just bought, 99' with a 123k miles on the clock.... how can i tell if it's been clocked?

Advertisement