Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer charts

Options
  • 29-04-2006 3:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

What a great setup for a prolonged period of dry sunny and at times very warm and possibly even thundery weather. Its not so much this chart on its own but what sould happen after it with the Azores high making its second attempt already this year to come north. And with our good freind the Scandi high it could act as an anchor to settle the high over us.

Recm1681.gif:D

Comments

It's excelent should it come to pass.

I am a great believer in natures levelability.

It's been a cold start to the spring/early summer and nature should compensate with some warmth eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

No particular reason for posting but this is a pretty good page on the Wetterzentrale site for watching up to 4 various outputs alongside each other.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/ani/gfs/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Great stuff. How is the reliability of those 168 hour charts as summer approaches? I'm not going to get excited too soon. The only forecast I'm interested in is when this awful rain is going to end!

Hot!

Rtavn3482.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Earthman wrote:
    Hot!

Rtavn3482.png

If only. Wont happen of course but would be great if it did:(

• Advertisement

12z GFS is good, winds going east or southeasterly indicating sunnier weather. And warm too 16 - 18C should not feel too bad. Maybe warming up after too:D

Roflles at the first chart. Now look what it has changed to! Only tonight to see it though. We would have had a party had that chart appeared in January.:D

Rigthy well enjoy the good weather for the next day or so. Its going downhill on Firday. Temps tomorrow could get to 22C in places.:)

I think there is a chance of better conditions along the east coast than MetÉ forecast. Going by what I've seen, here on the east coast, there was only a weak breeze and for much of the day, skies were properly cloudless. Here's hoping...

I see one or two thunderstorms have kicked off in Ireland this evening...

Theres something in the south Irish sea too which has clouded us over here and made it very dark... Interesting

(huge thunderstorms over sw England btw and SW wales too)

• Advertisement

Interesting developments over Southern England/Wales. It will probrably die out as it moves into the Irish sea. Then again, stranger things have happened and it may remain intact. Cloud certainly bubbled up here.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

All I want is 28C with sunshine each day between now and October 1st with a few thunderstorms thrown in for good measure then 0C and snow between November and March and I'd be a very happy person:)

Very cloudy here from a few showers out in the Irish sea linking back to the UK storms.
    According to the Isle of white lightning detector the showers near the wexford and wicklow coast are alive with sferics...

(I'm not sure that I trust that one though as I think it gets a little dodgy the further out in range it goes-it also tends to over emphasise sferics high up in clouds that dont necessarally contain enough punch to bring visible lightning)

Theres a little breeze picking up right now and its almost night so it shouldnt be hard to spot any distant lightning if there is any.

Tomorrow should be better than today for kicking off storms by the way.

Earthman wrote:
    Very cloudy here from a few showers out in the Irish sea linking back to the UK storms.
    According to the Isle of white lightning detector the showers near the wexford and wicklow coast are alive with sferics...

(I'm not sure that I trust that one though as I think it gets a little dodgy the further out in range it goes-it also tends to over emphasise sferics high up in clouds that dont necessarally contain enough punch to bring visible lightning)

Theres a little breeze picking up right now and its almost night so it shouldnt be hard to spot any distant lightning if there is any.

Tomorrow should be better than today for kicking off storms by the way.

Yeah I think tomorrow, with higher temps and humidity it will be more condusive to storm development. Living on the coast however is not the greatest plus in the world this time of year unfortunately. I wouldnt bet against that organised feature over Wales coming our way, however it is unlikely:)

Also EM, while it is cloudy its not thick cloud. Unthreatening at the momenthttp://www.metoffice.com/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Wetterzentrale picking up those storms nicely http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.html

Yeah the SW England/Wales storm is pretty darn huge but was a product of the days heat over there.
    It's big enough to drift northwestwards and possibly affect here but as a much died out feature.

We've imported Welsh storms overnight here before,that would arrive by Dawn but usually thats in mid summer and in a much hotter period of weather.

Indeed

You can see it well here

There are showers out there but not a patch on what they are linked to.

I wont be leaving my modem on overnight though.

Earthman wrote:
    Indeed

You can see it well here

There are showers out there but not a patch on what they are linked to.

I wont be leaving my modem on overnight though.

Aye if it was only 150 miles Northwest. Looks impressive:o

The isle of white detector is acting up again :D

It's not gridded very well in my opinion so I always take it with a pinch of salt near here.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    The isle of white detector is acting up again :D

It's not gridded very well in my opinion so I always take it with a pinch of salt near here.

I tell you what, could be some significant storm development here later tomorrow afternoon. Were importing some instability from, ironically England.:D Not that everyone will see a flash tomorrow but would say there is a good chance:)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn304.png
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3011.png

You should turn on a long wave radio.The crackling from the sferics is very loud and very frequent (here anyway) at the moment.

Earthman wrote:
    You should turn on a long wave radio.The crackling from the sferics is very loud and very frequent (here anyway) at the moment.

Dont have long wave anywhere believe or not. I know how useful it is though! Just a sign now that maybe does storms are dying out. Its worth noting the GFS has whats left crossing the Irish sea later tonight. Likely to be light and patchy before an explosion in activity during tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Do none of you lads have lightning detectors at all, i have a boltek ld-250 here and i am with a group called strike star which uses nexstorm software, at first England based and now widely throughtout N Europe. I am the only one in this country to posess a lightning detector?:confused: I hope not as it is fasinating to watch lightning in real time as far away as northern spain to Norway covering all of Ireland and England.I am the sole representative for this country with my detector and need three people to triangulate strikes to there server to pinpoint lightning strikes to the cm.It is extremly accurate and in real time too.
    Its very expensive equipment to buy for so little storms we get over here but this detector i can use with my laptop to chase storms which can be very interesting.

I have only rigged it for mobility within my car for this event which i think will happen over Meath Wmeath Kildare and Offaly., tommorrow.Took the day off to do it too.:D
    If successful i will post my screenshots here when i hook detector back up to PC after the events finish out.

Surely some one else has a detector:confused:
    The days of listening to the Radio static is gone lads for sure but it is a cheap but inaccurate method i suppose.

Snowbie wrote:
    Surely some one else has a detector:confused:
    The days of listening to the Radio static is gone lads for sure but it is a cheap but inaccurate method i suppose.

bkehoe has a good one down in New Ross co wexford if you want to contact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Earthman wrote:
    bkehoe has a good one down in New Ross co wexford if you want to contact him.

Thanks Earthman,will send him a message

Advertisement