Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Maynooth Like?

Options
  • 29-04-2006 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I was thinking of moving to Maynooth to do a post graduate course in economics and just wanted to ask a few questions for people who have gone there. Thanks in advance for any info!!

What is the accomodation like around maynooth? I had a look on daft.ie and it seems accomodation is around €300 p/m. Was just wondering if this is the average around there and if there's plently of accmodation in walking distance (or cycling) of the university. I suppose as well i wouldn't really want to live with a bunch of 1st years either (no offense), I'm probably too old to go boozing five nights a week!!

Is there a good nightlife in Maynooth? Would a lot of people go into dublin on a night out or is there enough entertainment in the town its self. I've lived in dublin for nearly two years, and to be honest i'm a little sick of it.

And finally, have you enjoyed your time there? I know its a bit of a vague question, but i just want to get a guage on how people are getting on there and if they like it.

Any other comments appreciated!! Thanks.

Edit: One last thing, what's the cost of living like in maynooth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

What is the accomodation like around maynooth? I had a look on daft.ie and it seems accomodation is around €300 p/m. Was just wondering if this is the average around there and if there's plently of accmodation in walking distance (or cycling) of the university. I suppose as well i wouldn't really want to live with a bunch of 1st years either (no offense), I'm probably too old to go boozing five nights a week!!
    There are lots of houses that are postgrads or final year students/ mature students only. 300 is about right, mabye a little over that. Theres loads of accomodation within walking distance, you just have to call over to the residence office and get the list. IIRC theres a dedicated section for mature students/postgrads.

Is there a good nightlife in Maynooth? Would a lot of people go into dublin on a night out or is there enough entertainment in the town its self. I've lived in dublin for nearly two years, and to be honest i'm a little sick of it.

Yeah, theres stuff on most nights. People still go in to Dublin for a change, sometimes though.

And finally, have you enjoyed your time there? I know its a bit of a vague question, but i just want to get a guage on how people are getting on there and if they like it.

Yes. I was walking around the sunny south campus there yesterday and only now realise how happy I am that I came to Maynooth. The place is excellent. I can't reccommend it enough.

Any other comments appreciated!! Thanks.

Edit: One last thing, what's the cost of living like in maynooth?

About average for a town of it's size in Ireland. Its a good bit cheaper than Dublin though, which is great.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Thanks for the info!! I'm going to head out there some weekend for a look around and get a feel for the place.

If you live out near Esso, that kinda distance, the accom can be less than 300, I think I know someone paying 260. If you're living closer to the college then yeah it's 300 or maybe a little more.

As for the rest, Maynooth is great and I love it and you should go there. Just finishing up my 5th year there and it's great.

And there are often signs up saying "accom. wanted would suit postgrad best" - don't worry, you'll be grand there

Advertisement