Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP IIS Hosting

• 29-04-2006 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else hosting a site with XP & IIS? I've got it installed and it responds to http://localhost but it will not respond to the domain name ie briang.org

I had this running up to yesterday with windows 2003 but had to change back to xp as some of my video editing apps wouldnt run under 2k3.

I've disabled the firewall (both xp & the router) I've added it to a DMZ and that did nothing either.

Anyone had the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

XP firewall will still block even when its turned off, just enable it (much safer) and open port 80, come to think of it do same to router firewall and port forward to the XP IIS machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

thats already done. I had this working yesterday with win2k3 on the same hardware. I'm 100% that the router is right. Its something on the XP side and I cant find it. AARRRGGGHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IIS on Windows XP is limited. It will only support one domain name/website. Unlike IIS on Windows Server which will host multiple sites on the one server.

What's the exact error that you're getting? 404, Host not found, connection timeout, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i have to have iis set to my pc's ip address not all unassigned in order for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Unless you have a specific reason to use IIS I would suggest you go with Apache. Apache is far more powerful and flexable than IIS and will run quite fine on Win32. And come to think of it, you can run ASP and ASP.net under Apache on Windows too.

Oh, and if you use Apache, you can also take advantage of the powerful PHP language too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh, and if you use Apache, you can also take advantage of the powerful PHP language too.
    PHP works just fine with IIS.

I would recommend getting to know both of them. Apache is more powerful, but IIS is that little bit easier to configure, particularly for virtual servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

thanks for all the posts but in the end I just built a second win2k3 box to host the sites and its working fine now. couldnt figure it out at all.

Advertisement