Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed trap loophole, keep in the left lane?

Options
  • 29-04-2006 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

When the gardai set up a speed trap on a dual carriageway I suppose they put together the tripod and aim the gun at a nice spot in the road at the start of the shift, I'd guess they aim at the overtaking lane as this is the most "profitable", so can you avoid, to an extent being in their line of sight, if you stick to the left lane, or maybe the device can rotate on the tripod or it has two beams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The tripod ones can be aimed at any lane by the operator, but the gatso vans can only measure one lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd presume you break the beam no matter what lane you're in, maybe just at a point further along the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Or here's an idea, don't speed in the first place.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Max_Damage wrote:
    Or here's an idea, don't speed in the first place.:rolleyes:

Sorry Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

testicle wrote:
    Sorry Jesus.
    NO PROBLEM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

...Just don't let it happen again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

NO PROBLEM.

Hey its JESUS! Mental.....

Any chance you could hook me up with some lotto numbers for wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NO PROBLEM.

Too late, matey. Some people believe that silly tale that you actually woke up again after you died and then went to heaven, but that was all celebrated by them believers weeks ago. Anyways, you're officially dead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

vector wrote:
    When the gardai set up a speed trap on a dual carriageway I suppose they put together the tripod and aim the gun at a nice spot in the road at the start of the shift, I'd guess they aim at the overtaking lane as this is the most "profitable", so can you avoid, to an extent being in their line of sight, if you stick to the left lane, or maybe the device can rotate on the tripod or it has two beams?

simple answer, you can get stung in any lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it ilegal to park your van right behind a Gatso van, thus blocking its view (while not obstructing traffic of course)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Obstruction of Justice, Obstruction of a Garda in the execution of his duties?

Is flashing someone with your headlights as they approach a speed trap illegal?

Are you perverting the course of justice or simply stopping someone from breaking the law if they slow down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Good question, I couldn't imagine it being illegal, you can flash your lights if you want! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I couldn't imagine it being illegal, you can flash your lights if you want!
    Ya but if a lady Flash's; is that illegal? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Are gatso vans unmarked?

Yeah, they are usually high-roof Transits or Ducatos. One of the Transits is army green and the rest seem to be white. rear windows are usually blacked out except for a square that the camera is behind.

I suppose if it was unmarked, you could argue that you didn't know it was a Gatso!

There is also a tractor blue transit based in Kilkenny.

Anyone spot the blue old Ducato with "Plastering" written on the side around Kildare?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Anyone spot the blue old Ducato with "Plastering" written on the side around Kildare?
    Is this a confirmed Garda speed detection van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Haven't seen the Ducato but one of their new Subaru Foresters was positioned on the Ballymany road out of Newbridge this morning - the long and inappropriate 50 kmh zone. The driver wasn't even wearing the traditional reflective jacket - very hard to spot until too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

colm_mcm wrote:

Are you perverting the course of justice or simply stopping someone from breaking the law if they slow down?
    Yes, it's illegal.

bennyx_o wrote:
    Yes, it's illegal.

how exactly is it illegal. do you know of anyone who was prosecuted for this?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Is this a confirmed Garda speed detection van?

Either it's a Garda detection van, or those plasterers (with a strip of safety reflective warning sheet on the back doors, back windows blacked out except for a portion of the right hand dor) have the misfortune to break down on major roads around Dublin/Kildare every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

colm_mcm wrote:
    how exactly is it illegal. do you know of anyone who was prosecuted for this?

Read the rules of the road on your safety and warning devices.

Thats without even getting into your intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

colm_mcm wrote:
    I do it every once in a while, just to get people to behave. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

colm_mcm wrote:
    One of the Transits is army green and the rest seem to be white. rear windows are usually blacked out except for a square that the camera is behind

I took a photo of these's while I had a chance:

gatso_van2.jpg

gatso_van.jpg

gatso_van3.jpg

Spot of dangerous parking there, esp the one on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Could that white one not be done for being illegally parked? :D

The one rear wiper on these vans is a bit of a giveway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I was going by a speed trap the other day, and signalled the traffic behind me to slow down.. hand out the window. they did, and the Gaurd didn't say a thing... People used to flash all the time when there were traps.. now very little do... At the end of the day it achieves the same objective, it slows people down..
    TK

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Could that white one not be done for being illegally parked? :D

The one rear wiper on these vans is a bit of a giveway too.
    I don't think that transits ever had rear wipers.

Advertisement